Namibia trip March 2013

Default Namibia trip March 2013

Hi everyone

We are planning to visit Namibia in March this year with our 3 kids aged 5 months, 2 and 3 years old. We are driving a 2010 Hilux dcab 3.0 d4d 4x4. We plan on leaving on the 5th March 2013 and returning on the 22nd. We will be camping and lodging and don't want to be driving for too long everyday once in Namibia. We'll appreciate any advice/suggestions you can help us with.

Our planned route is as follows:

Day 1: Port Shepstone - Golden gate highlands national park

Day 2: Golden gate - Augrabies Falls national park

Day 3: Augrabies - Hobas campsite (through Nakop border post)

Day 5: Hobas - Klein aus vista campsite

Day 7: Klein aus - Koiimasis ranch

Day 8: Koiimasis - Sossusvlei (please advise on suitable campsites in this area)

Day 10: Sossusvlei - Rostock ritz

Day 11: Rostock - Swakopmund

Day 13: Swakopmund - Spitzkoppe community campsite

Day 14: Spitzkoppe - Mariental

Day 15: Mariental - Kgalagadi (twee rivieren)

Day 17: Twee rivieren - Bloemfontein

Day 18: Bloemfontein - Port shepstone

We want to visit Luderitz, Kolmanskop, Sesriem and Walvis bay when we're staying nearby or should we spend the night at some of these places?

Please advise on the ffg:

1. Route & travel distances
    2. Should we book accommodation in advance?
    3. Is navigation difficult without a gps and if so will a garmin nuvi 1295 cut it?
    4. Are there any meat restrictions on the route I have chosen?
    5. What is the weather like this time of the year?
    6. Will fuel be a problem?
    7. Is drinking water available?
    8. Can I get supplies at most of the areas I'm going to?
    9. This is just a rough itinerary and will appreciate any input from you guys in this regard.
    10) If I don't take a second spare tyre will I be able to acquire a 265/70/16 casing in Namibia if I'm unlucky with my tyres?
    11) Is Mirabib worth spending an additional night at?
    12) Must see and do enroute

Thanks
    Nadeem

Hi Nadeem

Just a quick reply - try to allow for a couple of 'rest days', where you spend at least 2 nights at one place here and there. The continual travelling every day (packing, unpacking and with kids) will get quite tiring after even 7 days!

Hi Jac

Thanks for your reply. We plan on spending 2 nights at hobas, klein aus, swakopmund and twee rivieren. Do you suggest an extended stay at any other places?

Bring maar 'n ekstra band saam. Baie duur hier in Namibia. Ry ook die pad vanaf Solitaire tot in Walvisbaai baie stadig. Baie sinkplaatagtig en jy verloor maklik bande op die stuk pad.

The only permit needed will be to enter Sossusvlei at Sesreim - buy at the gate.

No need for a GPS, maps are perfectly good and everywhere of consequence on your route is signed - including road numbers.

Fuel at Sesreim, Solitaire, Swakop, Usakos, Karibib and towns all the way to Marientaal. Watch out for speed traps - and warthogs, taxis etc - on the B2 and B1.

Swakop can be unpleasantly cold damp foggy, if you go inland about 12km on the B2 you will find a turning to the right leading to the farms and eventually into the Swakop river. You will see the sign to Sophiadale, they have camping, chalets and a restaurant. (www.sophiadale.de E: [email protected] Cell: 081-413 0504) You will be out of the worst of the fog and cold.

Chris

PS Amongst other things, the farms grow fantastic asparagus.

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Thanks Werner and Chris for your advice. So second spare advisable to take along and gps more of a nice to have. In Swakopmund we'll probably check-in to a lodge so should be ok although the asparagus sounds worth the drive up

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZ View Post
    Hi everyone

We are planning to visit Namibia in March this year with our 3 kids aged 5 months, 2 and 3 years old. We are driving a 2010 Hilux dcab 3.0 d4d 4x4. We plan on leaving on the 5th March 2013 and returning on the 22nd. We will be camping and lodging and don't want to be driving for too long everyday once in Namibia. We'll appreciate any advice/suggestions you can help us with.

Our planned route is as follows:

Day 1: Port Shepstone - Golden gate highlands national park

Day 2: Golden gate - Augrabies Falls national park

Day 3: Augrabies - Hobas campsite (through Nakop border post)

Day 5: Hobas - Klein aus vista campsite (Visit Luderitz. Kolmankop toere moet in Luderitz bespreek word, is half nege en 10 uur. Doen dit. Dit is baie goed. Terwyl in Luderitz ry na Dias Kruis en om die eiland. Op pad terug na Aus, stop by die wilde perde,)

Day 7: Klein aus - Koiimasis ranch (Kyk gerus op die Aus/Helmeringhausen pad net voor die D707 afdraai vir die Tiras toring. Direk langs die pad.)

Day 8: Koiimasis - Sossusvlei (please advise on suitable campsites in this area) (aangesien jy redelik buite seisoen is, kamp by Sesriem self. Jou permit geld sommer vir dit ook, net kampgeld ekstra. )

Day 10: Sossusvlei - Rostock ritz (bly in die LodgeDaar is nie koelte by die kampplek nie, jy gaan braai, maar die lodge is goed.) (Se hallo vir Walter, hy moet jou so bietjie iets van die plaas gaan wys)

Day 11: Rostock - Swakopmund (By Sophia Dale is pragtige chalets. Ook lieflike kampplekke, Maar haar chalets was baie billik. Net 12 kilos buite die dorp)

Day 13: Swakopmund - Spitzkoppe community campsite

Day 14: Spitzkoppe - Mariental

Day 15: Mariental - Kgalagadi (twee rivieren)

Day 17: Twee rivieren - Bloemfontein

Day 18: Bloemfontein - Port shepstone

We want to visit Luderitz, Kolmanskop, Sesriem and Walvis bay when we're staying nearby or should we spend the night at some of these places?

Please advise on the ffg:

1. Route & travel distances
    2. Should we book accommodation in advance? Nee, buiten vir Twee Rivieren
    3. Is navigation difficult without a gps and if so will a garmin nuvi 1295 cut it? As jy 'n goeie kaart het is dit voldoende vir Namibie.
    4. Are there any meat restrictions on the route I have chosen? Nee,
    5. What is the weather like this time of the year? Nog warm maar donderbuie kan voorkom
    6. Will fuel be a problem? NEE, Oral is dit beskikbaar
    7. Is drinking water available?
    8. Can I get supplies at most of the areas I'm going to? Ja, groot dorp - Keetmanshoop, Swakopmund en dan weer terug, vul net aan voor jy Mata Mata ingaan.
    9. This is just a rough itinerary and will appreciate any input from you guys in this regard.
    10) If I don't take a second spare tyre will I be able to acquire a 265/70/16 casing in Namibia if I'm unlucky with my tyres?
    11) Is Mirabib worth spending an additional night at?
    12) Must see and do enroute Defnitief Luderiz, Kolmanskop, Wilde Perde, Dias kruis, Sesriemcanyoun en Sossosvlei, Swakopmund en as jy kans sien, Walvisbaai se soutwerke en Flamingo Baai.

Thanks
    Nadeem

Hoop jy verstaan my afrikaans. Geniet Namibie
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

I've just read your questions a bit more carefully and, in addition to what Witklipbank has said, I should add these comments:

7. Drinking water is good throughout Namibia, although in the towns it can be heavily chlorinated. Outside the towns it is normally good bore water. You can, if you wish, buy bottled water anywhere on your route.

10. Please do take a second spare, even if it is not on a rim. Repairs and fitting can be done in most places, lodges etc, but new tyres can be a problem.

11. I said that the only Permit needed was for Sossusvlei, but if you are planning to camp at Mirabib, or any of the associated camp spots in the Namib Naukluft Park, you must buy a Permit at either Sesreim or in Swakop.

12. If history is your thing, 40km out of Swakop on the B2 (just before Arandis airstrip) you will see a small sign on your left saying "Monument". Drive in, cross the railway line and you will find the Durban Light Infantry regimental badge laid out in coloured stones. This is where Smuts army camped in 1915. It is also a scenic spot with other contemporary archeology of that time. Also, as you leave Swakop on the B2, there is the "Martin Luther" in a little museum on the right hand side of the road.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Hi Elize

Ek het 'n bietjie verstaan want ek het dit in skool geleer en ook het ek google translator gebruik. Baie dankie vir all jou help Ek is seker ons sal dit baie geniet. Eksies as my Afrikaans slap dash is.

Dankie
    Nadeem

Thanks Chris for the useful information. Dont have a roof rack so I'm gonna have to make a plan to get my second spare on top of my canopy. We'll definitely stop at the Monument if we're heading that way.

As mentioned already, the route you are driving fuel should not be a problem, and I agree with the second spare, even if it is just a casing, tyre prices here can be a bit rough.

see you soon.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart will always beat to an African drum...