March Namib trip - suggestions

Question March Namib trip - suggestions

I have put together a trip for March/April to the South-West of Namibia.
    I would like some advice on possible accomodation and sites to visit while there:

20 March - We leave Cape Town for Noordoewer and plan to sleep at Felix Unite.
    21 March - On to Luderitz via Sendelingsdrift, stopping to look for desert Horses and at Kolmanskop. Need place to sleep and leave trailer.
    22 Mar - Leave on 4-day Saddle Hill trip for 4 days with Coastways. Need to leave trailers
    25 Mar - Back in Luderitz - need place to sleep.
    26 Mar - leave for Sesriem. Camp at Sesriem seems overpriced. Need place to stay close by.
    27 Mar - Visit Sossusvlei and spend morning there. Leave in afternoon for Swakopmund. Should we camp in Kuseb?
    28 - 30 Mar - stay in Swakop. Need camping or Self catering. Want to go to horse skeletons in desert. One or two mornings fishing. Anything else.
    31 Mar - leave to Windhoek. Want to stay over close to or just past Windhoek.
    1 Apr - Travel to Fish River Canion. Camp at Hobas? One night enough.
    2 Apr - look at canyon and then leave via Gamchab river bed to Sendelingsdrift, cross border into Richtersveld. Stay at De Hoop for two nights.
    4 Apr - Leave back for Cape Town.

My concerns:
    It seems that camping in any national park will be at least N$350 plus N$150pp. That means that I pay about N$800 per night to camp. For that price I might as well stay in a B&B or self catering challet.

The trip up to Luderitz will not be camping as we will arrive late at Felix Unite, sleep one night at Luderitz before and one night after desert trip. Also don't want to leave trailer in camp.

Hobas and Richtersveld will be camping, for sure. Sesriem and Swakopmund is open to suggestion and availability.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Luderitz - Depending on time I'd rather camp at Klein Aus Vista at Aus. There are some B&B type accomodation at Luderitz, but be careful of camping at Shark island. The wind will blow you back to Cape Town.

Sesriem - another option perhaps Tsauchab river camp about 60km north east of Sesriem. Need to get up early however to get to Sossus and beat the sun. Get permit the previous day. The only advantage of Sesriem camp is that you're nearby and already "inside" the main gate which is sometimes a bit of a frustration.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Ditto what George said regarding Klein Aus Vista and Tsauchab. I will never camp at Sesriem again after spending a coule of days at Tsauchab.
    At Klein Aus you can either camp or stay in a bungalow and leave your trailer there when doing the desert trip.

In Swakop you can camp at Alte Brucke. Not too cheap but a very nice campsite with your own private abblutions.

In Windhoek you can camp at Arrebusch Lodge on the outskirts of town. Reasonably priced with good abblutions.
    <br>1999 Landcruiser GX<br>2004 Echo III trailer

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Luderitz - Depending on time I'd rather camp at Klein Aus Vista at Aus.
    Sesriem - another option perhaps Tsauchab river camp about 60km north east of Sesriem.
    Thank you George, We leave for Saddle hill at 08:00. It might be tight to still drive to Luderitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
    Ditto what George said regarding Klein Aus Vista and Tsauchab. At Klein Aus you can either camp or stay in a bungalow and leave your trailer there when doing the desert trip.

In Swakop you can camp at Alte Brucke. Not too cheap but a very nice campsite with your own private abblutions.

In Windhoek you can camp at Arrebusch Lodge on the outskirts of town. Reasonably priced with good abblutions.
    Do you have any contact numbers for the above?
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Swakopmund - Speak to Manny or Brian at Nel's Estates ([email protected]). They have a vast number of houses to let. We stayed in Nordstrandpark (just north of the main beach) about a year ago, right on the beach, very clean, security, double garage, etc. Price was also very reasonable (N$550 / night for 3 bedroomed townhouse).

Sesriem - I would not recommend camping at Sesriem. There are much nicer camping spots close by. Try Agama River Camp. This is close to the Namib Dune lodge about 32 km's south of Solitaire. They opened the camp site Apr last year. It is shaded, with very clean and neat ablution facilities as well as a stunning swimming pool. Rather camp here than at Sesriem. The cost was N$50 per person per night. Our kids under 4 stayed for free.
    The contact details are:
    Agama River Camp
    Monique
    Tel : +26 46 368 3245
    Cell : +26 481 205 5515
    e-mail : [email protected] (not sure if their sat link is up and running yet)
    The turn off coordinates from the C19 is S 24 08.789' E 15 57.599'

Cheers
    Theo

Alte Brucke +264 61 244558
    Tsauchab River Camp +264 63 293416
    Arrebusch +264 61 252255
    <br>1999 Landcruiser GX<br>2004 Echo III trailer

Default March Namib trip

Khosaan,
    Use the Obelix Guesthouse in Luderitz. Most tour operators use it. Guys name is Norbit and with prior arrangement you can leave your trailor there. The Beach Lodge in Swakop is very nice self catering and not expensive.
    Also visit the site wheretostayonline.com.

There is a really cool camping site on your to the Fish River Canyon called the Canyon Lodge. Stayed there this year March for R200 per night I think, no extra charges. It is approximately 20 km from the entrance to the Canyons. Got the exact price on a spreadsheet somewhere, will forward it.

Sory not the Canyon Lodge but the Canon Roadhouse on the C37 20 km's from the entance of the Fish River Canyon. R60 per camp site and R40 per person.

Default Luderitz accommodation

Ask the lady at your tour operator to refer you to the self catering B&B in the Luderitz main road. I think its called Kratz Platz or such. We've stayed there before and the prices were fair, the beds clean, the showers hot and you'll want to go out anyway for supper. And you can leave trailers extra luggage etc with them.

On your way back you can consider Betta's as a camping place after the canyon. It is a bit far but what a wonderfull sight to see a tented camp with beds already made and hot water after a long day on the road.
    Rampie
    No Land Rover - Soon to change though

Default Sendelings drift

Just make 100% sure that you can use the border crossing at Sendlings drift. As I understand it you can only go into the transfrontier park but not beyond it. If that is the case you will have to trvel from Noord oewer to Eksteens fontein and on to Rigters veld. A very nice scenic road.
    Andre
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.