Page 76 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26 51 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1681

Default Re: The Tool Drool Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    Not much to drool about compared to lots of the lekka stuff on this thread, but I am really excited about my latest Facebook marketplace find - 13mm 0.5HP FEMCO Drill press with cross-slide:

Attachment 624690

Seems to have very little run out and just needs a cleanup (vice has seen better days but the press itself seems solid).

I cant find any info about FEMCO drill presses - where they decent?

I may changed the bearings out for tapered ones, try find a collet chuck, so I can do basic plastic and alu milling
    That drill press vise is still worth a few grand.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/07/30 at 08:42 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Not much to drool about compared to lots of the lekka stuff on this thread, but I am really excited about my latest Facebook marketplace find - 13mm 0.5HP FEMCO Drill press with cross-slide:

Attachment 624690

Seems to have very little run out and just needs a cleanup (vice has seen better days but the press itself seems solid).

I may changed the bearings out for tapered ones, try find a collet chuck, so I can do basic plastic and alu milling
    I don't think it's a Femco drill press

Femco is a local motor manufacturer
    So only the motor is Femco

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WrightJnr View Post

Something to supplement my 18v Makita tools when smashing through concrete and stone is needed. Iíve never struggled with my 18v hammer drill to be honest. But after using SDS Rotary, itís a game changer for me.
    Every new home owner should own a basic hammer drill. It is just one of those tools that you blame yourself for not buying years ago after using it the first time. I would go as far as to say that if you are not even close to a handyman, but need to hang the odd picture in the house, get one of these before you buy a normal drill. This, a bag of nail-in wall anchors and a hammer and you earn Brownie points with Swambo for days.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Every new home owner should own a basic hammer drill. It is just one of those tools that you blame yourself for not buying years ago after using it the first time. I would go as far as to say that if you are not even close to a handyman, but need to hang the odd picture in the house, get one of these before you buy a normal drill. This, a bag of nail-in wall anchors and a hammer and you earn Brownie points with Swambo for days.

Indeed, if in fact you mean a SDS.
    THAT is a game changer

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

So I came across this ratchet a few weeks ago, and promptly bought one. What an ingenious feature! With this wrench, called a rotator ratchet apparently, you can not only lever it left and right like a regular ratchet but also rotate the handle to and fro while holding the ratchet still in place. Irrespective of the direction you twist the handle, the bolt/nut keeps turning in one direction - dependinng off course on the direction the ratchet is set to.

This works magic for those bolts and nuts where there's simply not enough space to swing a ratchet (or spanner). Or the space is limited but there's not enough friction from the bolt/nut to let the ratchet click over, and you end up turning the bolt/nut to and fro the whole time. How many times have you had to get your hands in that tiny space hold on to the socket while maneuvering the ratchet only a few degrees at a time?

This is certainly one of the better tools I have acquired, this one specifically purchased from Midas (they're the Ampro agents). I see Stanley also has a similar ons available on Takealot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dirk Meintjies

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OomD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Indeed, if in fact you mean a SDS.
    THAT is a game changer
    The chuck does not really matter, as long as it is a hammer drill and not a normal drill with a percussion function. I am not aware of any consumer-level hammer drills with anything other than a SDS chucks, though.
    Happy to be corrected. I guess a conventional clamped straight shaft drill bit will just shake loose.

Decided to stop at Top Dog Tools in Pamona yesterday. I've ordered Kreg products from them online in the past, but after some mixed reviews and feedback on table saws I decided to stop by and have a look.

They are more focused on e-trading but had a small display are with a few table saws in place. They did not want me to look at the Makita as they have 2 with them returned from customers. Echoed the feedback received from Fluffy

Metabo looks good and the De Waldt even better. But.... Do not go there if you don't want to spend money. These guys are a blast to deal with and where extremely helpful. If an item wasn't on display they took one from the shelve to show me. Ended up "kuiering" there for far too long. Genuine a great bunch and extremely helpful.

Name:  IMG_8030.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  101.6 KB
    Pieter le Roux

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WrightJnr View Post

Something to supplement my 18v Makita tools when smashing through concrete and stone is needed. Iíve never struggled with my 18v hammer drill to be honest. But after using SDS Rotary, itís a game changer for me.
    That looks like the version that can switch the rotary action off so can also use sds chisel bits and be used as a chipper, handy when you need it.

Another thing it has is a clutch, so when your 1" drill bit gets stuck on rebar you don't suddenly almost snap your wrist.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Decided to stop at Top Dog Tools in Pamona yesterday. I've ordered Kreg products from them online in the past, but after some mixed reviews and feedback on table saws I decided to stop by and have a look.

They are more focused on e-trading but had a small display are with a few table saws in place. They did not want me to look at the Makita as they have 2 with them returned from customers. Echoed the feedback received from Fluffy

Metabo looks good and the De Waldt even better. But.... Do not go there if you don't want to spend money. These guys are a blast to deal with and where extremely helpful. If an item wasn't on display they took one from the shelve to show me. Ended up "kuiering" there for far too long. Genuine a great bunch and extremely helpful.
    I am sure you wont regret it. Hopefully the price of wood is not as bad as steel has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Decided to stop at Top Dog Tools in Pamona yesterday. ...
    So, what's in the crate?

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post
    So I came across this ratchet a few weeks ago, and promptly bought one. What an ingenious feature! With this wrench, called a rotator ratchet apparently, you can not only lever it left and right like a regular ratchet but also rotate the handle to and fro while holding the ratchet still in place. Irrespective of the direction you twist the handle, the bolt/nut keeps turning in one direction - dependinng off course on the direction the ratchet is set to.

This works magic for those bolts and nuts where there's simply not enough space to swing a ratchet (or spanner). Or the space is limited but there's not enough friction from the bolt/nut to let the ratchet click over, and you end up turning the bolt/nut to and fro the whole time. How many times have you had to get your hands in that tiny space hold on to the socket while maneuvering the ratchet only a few degrees at a time?

This is certainly one of the better tools I have acquired, this one specifically purchased from Midas (they're the Ampro agents). I see Stanley also has a similar ons available on Takealot.

Do you perhaps have the Ampro part number. That looks like something I need long time ago
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by dieselkop View Post
    Do you perhaps have the Ampro part number. That looks like something I need long time ago
    Edwin
    https://amprosa.co.za/product/rotator-ratchet-2/
    Dirk Meintjies

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to OomD For This Useful Post:

How do you go about having a torque wrench calibrated and how much does it typically cost?

Attachment 624690

I can't speak to it's true value, but that would probably go for a good few grand if it was upright.

I have a similar press that I paid R600 for, it needs a Morse chuck and a vise. You scored well with that one.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    I don't think it's a Femco drill press

Femco is a local motor manufacturer
    So only the motor is Femco
    Femco is a machine builder from Taiwan. I have been to there factory and know some people over there.
    Phillip Dreyer Me Defender TD5 110 (Betty Boob) Swambo Defender TD5 90 (Komba) VW Caddy (MINIROK) Land Rover Series 2A (Lilly)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Smiley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    How do you go about having a torque wrench calibrated and how much does it typically cost?
    We had this and a smaller one on the wall in the Overhaul Workshop at my first aviation company and it was SOP to check the torque on the tester as opposed to reading it off the scale of the wrench.

For torque wrenches in the away bases, we used to use that to calibrate the wrench at selected readings and we issued a certificate of calibration for the wrench that had an expiry date for re-calibration.
    The tester itself was tested by a certified Laboratory with documented standards and procedures in line with Civil Aviation Technical Standards and Customer requirements for tool control.

Have you tried the manufacturer?

I bought a Britool torque wrench at a Co-Op that had been "unscrewed" by someone and it had lost it's calibration due to the shims being misplaced and the company who had the Britool agency up in Gauteng took it in and fixed it up for free with a certified calibration chart.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    My personal opinion, unless you are working in a highly regulated industry, like JohnnoK, most torque values are a thumb suck in any case.

So it is mostly more important to get all the bolts to the same torque as apposed to an exact torque.

Hell even the technique of how to operate a torque wrench leads to bigger errors than an uncalibrated toque wrench.

Just my 2C worth.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/07/31 at 12:25 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    The chuck does not really matter, as long as it is a hammer drill and not a normal drill with a percussion function. I am not aware of any consumer-level hammer drills with anything other than a SDS chucks, though.
    Happy to be corrected. I guess a conventional clamped straight shaft drill bit will just shake loose.
    Is that not a standard 3 jaw interchangeable chuck in the cardboard box, my DeWalt has the same.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    My personal opinion, unless you are working in a highly regulated industry, like JohnnoK, most torque values are a thumb suck in any case.

So it is mostly more important to get all the bolts to the same torque as apposed to an exact torque.

Hell even the technique of how to operate a torque wrench leads to bigger errors than an uncalibrated toque wrench.

Just my 2C worth.
    I wonder if one cant get an idea of how accurate a torque wrench is through simple maths. A length of bar and some weights.?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Is that not a standard 3 jaw interchangeable chuck in the cardboard box, my DeWalt has the same.
    Thats correct. The SDS chuck slips off and the std chuck slides in. Apparently the std chuck cant handle the stress of the hammer action and should therefor never be used for hammer drilling. My 26mm Bosch came with the same.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Page 76 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26 51 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast