Leisure Wheels Terios project

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Leisure Wheels Terios project

Hi Terios fans. Leisure Wheels magazine is planning a Terios project where they will be upgrading the Terios to become a real Terror. They have done a project on a Navara, Scorpio and Pajero. Will be interesting to see what they will be doing to the Terios. They welcome input as to what need to be done. Will be interesting to see what they are going to do in the following months.

That sounds awesome, cant wait to see what they do...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Coenraad Burger

How can we get hold of them to give some ideas? Firstly a stronger engine maybe the Materia Turbo motor or go big the 2.7 Toyota Hillux motor (well proven) Suspension lift 70mm and what about offroad bumpers front and back.
    Nice wheels.

Something like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2011 Terios 4x4 Auto Sold
    2014 Toyota Auris 1.6 CVT XR Sold
    2011 Toyota FJ Trail Cruiser Sold
    2017 Toyota RAV4 AWD VX
    2017 Ford Ranger 4X4 S/C

1. Larger fuel tank.
    2. Proper shocks front and rear
    3. If not low-range a 6spd gearbox with a lowered 1st gear.
    4. Proper rear difflock.
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Diff locks will be nice too.
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Any news on this
    One life Live it

I belive SAC do the Materia turbo conversion for Diahatsu, so that would be easy. Add a decent tires, off road suspension up grade, bash plates and replacement bumpers and it will be a winner. oh and add a rear diff lock.

Go for the autobox version; its better at the off road stuff.

Leisure wheels May 2013 should have the first aricle on the Terios project according to page 65 in the April edition.

A power upgrade of R40k is mentioned...
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Hi, Danie from LW here. After years of watching from the sideline, I've decided it's time to join in the fun!

The Terios is currently with ALB Performance on the West Rand to install a turbo and intercooler. Yes, it's the same system used on the Materia, but it's by no means an easy fit!

Daihatsu had developed a kit for the Materia through SAC - but the Materia is front wheel drive only, and the layout in the engine bay is completely different to the Terios. Only the new inlet manifold and turbo fit as is.

So the lads now have to fabricate a lot of parts, specifically for the Terios, and will also have to relocate the intercooler. The good news is that, once its done, the next Terios conversion should be easier, and cheaper!

Their aim is to mostly produce more torque at lower revs, and overall we're aiming for around 120 kW. Should be pretty good! Meanwhile a full aftermarket (and adjustable) suspension and snorkel are on their way from overseas, and in Cape Town a custom builder will soon start on new front and rear bumpers (bars). We also have some cool plans in the pipeline for the interior. We still have to see what we can do about lockers.

But, in about 2 months it should all be done - and hopefully we will end up with the most spectacular Terios ever!

You can send more ideas and info to [email protected]. I'll post some pics when there is something worthwhile to show.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieLW View Post
    Hi, Danie from LW here. After years of watching from the sideline, I've decided it's time to join in the fun!
    Welcome Danie! Its great to have you here 8)

Nice Danie we will keep our eyes on this must say the little terrier impressed me allot this passed 2 weeks from towing a really heavy load to 4x4ing with a empty trailer in tow.
    One life Live it

Small video of what Terios can do I only did the suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2NAVmdUS8
    One life Live it

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Small video of what Terios can do I only did the suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2NAVmdUS8
    Is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Is that good?
    are you nasty with my little jack russel
    One life Live it

The guy on the bicycle in the background was going faster

Quote Originally Posted by DanieLW View Post

The Terios is currently with ALB Performance on the West Rand to install a turbo and intercooler. Yes, it's the same system used on the Materia, but it's by no means an easy fit!

Daihatsu had developed a kit for the Materia through SAC - but the Materia is front wheel drive only, and the layout in the engine bay is completely different to the Terios. Only the new inlet manifold and turbo fit as is.

So the lads now have to fabricate a lot of parts, specifically for the Terios, and will also have to relocate the intercooler. The good news is that, once its done, the next Terios conversion should be easier, and cheaper!

Their aim is to mostly produce more torque at lower revs, and overall we're aiming for around 120 kW. Should be pretty good! Meanwhile a full aftermarket (and adjustable) suspension and snorkel are on their way from overseas, and in Cape Town a custom builder will soon start on new front and rear bumpers (bars). We also have some cool plans in the pipeline for the interior. We still have to see what we can do about lockers.

But, in about 2 months it should all be done - and hopefully we will end up with the most spectacular Terios ever!

You can send more ideas and info to [email protected]. I'll post some pics when there is something worthwhile to show.

I will definately be interested in a Turbo conversion so I will keep my eyes on LW.

I am currently in the Congo and I've seen a couple of Daihatsu vehicles badged as Toyotas and some Terios's older ones. 90% of the vehicles are Toyotas (that should say a lot) couple of Pajeros (SW) and some Suzuki Jimnys. Our daily drive to our workplace is off road 4x4.
    Just some useless info
    Last edited by Ignatius; 2013/03/27 at 12:43 PM.
    2011 Terios 4x4 Auto Sold
    2014 Toyota Auris 1.6 CVT XR Sold
    2011 Toyota FJ Trail Cruiser Sold
    2017 Toyota RAV4 AWD VX
    2017 Ford Ranger 4X4 S/C

UPDATE on LW Terios

UPDATE on Project Terios:

After spending some time at the ALB Performance workshop in Roodepoort, the company decided that they would rather not do the conversion. They were concerned about development costs and long-term reliability.

So now the little Terios is with SAC Centurion, at their snazzy new workshop. The SAC guys are much more confident that they will be able to make the turbo and the 1,5-litre engine work together in reliable harmony, and at a reasonable price too. So there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel!

In the meantime the suspension parts and snorkel have arrived from Thailand. And, we've secured a set of wheels from Autoquip, as well as a set of all-terrain tyres from Cooper.

Once the engine conversion is done the Terios will head to Cape Town for the fitment of the suspension, as well as the creation of custom front and rear bars.

DB

Wow Danie that sounds good , can't wait for the finished product
    I am busy with coustom bumper for my Terios as well. But I am going a little extreme with winch fitted , then some steel under pants and a set of A/T tyres.
    Then I must search for a snorkel.
    One life Live it

Default Los die Turbo

My eerlike opinie sal wees om nie n Turbo op te sit nie. Al wat daai Terios kort is low range en n diff lock, nie net die centre diff lock wat hy in het nie. my vriend het n Terios gery wat hy opgedoen het en hy het n paar oŽ laat rek met sy karretjie. Die rede hoekom ek sÍ n Turbo is nie nodig nie, kyk na die Suzuki Jimny, hy het nog n kleiner en swakker enjin in en hy doen uitstekend omdat hy low range het en jy kan diff locks in sit. Kyk maar wat het die manne gedoen by die Bridgestone 4x4 Fundi Challenge met die Jimny's. n Turbo gaan veroorsaak dat jy vinniger wheel spin gaan kry, veral met die Terios waar jy meestal momentum moet gebruik om oor hindernisse te kom. Hier is foto van my vriend se Terios, hulle het om ongelukkig verkoop, maar die karretjie was in n 4x4 tydskrif ook gewees, is net nie seker in waste een nie. Hy het n Hilux snorkel opgesit, die Terios Offroad se coil springs en Geolander All Terrain bande. Hy het self die rock sliders en die bull bar gebou. Ek sal later n paar videos op Youtube laai waar ek hom afgeneem het. Julle kan na nog n paar van sy fotos kyk, hy is hier op die forum. Sy user name is Alien1147.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terios.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	207997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080195.jpg 
Views:	7021 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	208006  
    Last edited by Rocky28; 2013/04/22 at 09:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast