Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD advice

Default Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD advice

I am looking at another 4x4 vehicle - one more suited to overlanding. I am looking at vehicles in the 250 - 300k range. In that range I can get a 2yo Jeep with less than 50 000 on the clock. They are not ideal. The cruisers are all 1998 - 2000 models with 180 000 to 280000km on the clock.

I have noticed a few patrols in 2003 - 2004 range with 80000 to 120000km on the clock. One 3.0 oilburner is available. I have never been diesel inclined and have always enjoyed the petrol's especially the V8's.

Does anyone have experience with the patrols in general and the diesel in particular in terms of:
    Reliability
    Maintenance and running cost
    Consumption
    Power (I tow a boat or 4x4 trailer)
    Off-road ability and clearance (is suspension upgrade mandatory)
    Any comments or web links will be welcome. I like the Jeep's comfort and power. It's off road capability is only limited by ground clearance. If I buy a Patrol I don't want to regret the decision.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Just my bit.

3 ltr Diesel a bit underpowered for a vehicle this size. Turbo lag also a factor. Never heard of anyone having reliability problems (the voetspore team were using them), not sure about availabilty of spares (SA and elsewhere in Africa). I would rather go for:
    a) the petrol model
    b) Toyota L/C petrol
    c) Toyota Prada (Petrol only)
    d) Toyota L/C (Turbo Diesel)

In that order.

Regards,
    Tinus

There is a 2001 Land Cruiser 100 VX V8 auto with 192000km for R279k standing at Cape Gate Nissan....

If I could get my hands on a 2004+ 4.8GRX tiptronic with less than 100000km on the clock, I would be very happy. Only problem is these vehicles all seem to reside in Gauteng
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

If your mind is made up that it will be a Patrol, I would search for a petrol.

The Patrol is an excellent vehicle with awesome off-road ability and the second hand pricing reflects the fact that they are heavily underrated. Unfortunately it also reflects the fact that Nissan has a bit of a reputation for supporting them poorly (expensive spares, spares have to be imported from Japan, etc.). The result of the latter is that there aren't that many of them in SA, so there is less incentive for the aftermarket suppliers of spares and accesories to sell goodies for them. It also follows that the community of Patrol owners in SA is quite small, so the pool of local vehicle and kitting out knowledge is smaller than that available for a Cruiser, for instance. Have a look at the Nissan 4x4 forum.

If you require a real heavyweight 4x4 wagon that has impecable off-road ability, but is still acceptable as a daily on-road driver, there are only two contenders in my opinion: the Patrol and the coil sprung Cruiser wagon. Actually, the Patrol might soon be without competition, because the new Land Cruiser 200 that just debuted internationally has definitely gone softer; there no longer is the option of a solid front axle.

Comparing the Y61 Patrol to the 100 series Cruiser (I know you did not ask for this; sorry I can't help myself ) I came up with the following ramblings:

Patrol
    1. Has the tougher driveline of the two
    2. Has a simpler part-time 4x4 system
    3. Has automatic hub locks that ultimately are not as strong/reliable as manual ones (although they can be locked in manually, which helps)
    4. Is available as base spec GL and luxury GRX, both with solid front and rear axles
    5. Only has a rear diff lock
    6. 4.5 pushrod petrol motor is bullet proof, but not very powerful and heavy on juice
    7. 4.8 petrol motor seems to be a great (though thirsty) unit
    8. 4.2 NA diesel is scarce, but bullet proof and underpowered (just like the one in the Cruiser)
    9. High tech 3.0 diesel makes the Patrol underpowered (only slightly less so than the 4.2 diesel Cruiser) and has a reputation for having issues. This motor is not ideal off-road due to turbo lag.

Cruiser
    1. Has fulltime 4WD ability
    2. Luxury VX model has independant front suspension, but solid rear axle with rear diff lock only
    3. Basic GX has solid front & rear axles and front & rear diff locks, making this one of the most potent off-road performers straight off the showroom floor ever
    4. Interior trim is of better quality
    5. 4.5 petrol (GX only) is a design classic (lasts forever, but is thirsty)
    6. 4.7 V8 petrol (VX only) is a nice motor, but does not really offer more than the 4.5 in the GX
    7. 4.2 NA diesel (GX only) is a solid old tech design and is great for off-road use, but makes the Cruiser underpowered
    8. 4.2 Turbo-diesel (VX only) is quite a high tech unit and is a great engine (pity it is not available in the GX)
    Finally, I can highly recommend the Land Cruiser Club of Southern Africa if you are interested in learning more about Cruisers. You will find a bunch of really nice guys there that know their stuff when it comes to Cruisers, their maintenance, kitting and modification.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

Land Cruiser HDJ100

Smile

Contact North West Nissan at 0832928194 speak to Francois, You can buy me a beer to say thanx

Hy word nie bang nie, hy maak bang

Welkom hier by ons Theuhan, hoogtyd dat jy ons join!

Jy kry baie meer "bang for your buck" as jy n patrol koop! Die klomp is simpel met die cruisers se pryse!.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Herman is abs. reg, Cruzers is in my humble opinion, nie die geld werd nie, comparitively speaking.

Gerrit, that's quite a nice study you've presented there, thanks!

I've been told that Nissan are trying to make ammends for their "lack of image" with the Patrol as compared to the Cruzer...and I can tell you that I have had minor dealings with Nissan SA regarding spares (someone tail-ended me and I voiced my opinion that I was paranoia that the car would stand at the panelbeaters forever waiting for a part or two) and I was dealt with very ameanably. Every phone call and e-mail was returned/replied to...I was very comfortable with the matter.

I would steer clear of the 3.0 oilburner though, that motor is just too pap for a 2.8 ton vehicle.
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

Ja die diesel het nogal turbo lag in high range, maar in low range is hy die beste, ek het een by Nissan SA geleen vir n even wat ons gereel het, hy het rerig by pleke op geidle waar n vriend van my se 4.0L ranger gestaal het, ek sal hom enige dag koop, ek is seker die petrol is ook lekker maar hulle is maar dors

Hy word nie bang nie, hy maak bang

The 3.0 td Patrol has turbo lag in high range up to 2200rpm but not so noticeble in low range and has more than ample power in low range for serious off road driving - helped by the auto box. Of course all over performance is vastly improved by "chipping" the engine. My fuel consumption is 12-13.5l/100km.