Rhino Poaching - Renoster Stroop - Page 32

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

This is some good news on this front for a change-hope it keeps going that way.

http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Fir...Parks-20141128

Now -I wonder whether they could not fit trackers to all the rhino once captured?-and I hope they are putting ID microchips into each and every horn on the ones they relocate, so that this can become firm evidence in poaching cases should the relocated rhino be poached in future.

So when do we start cloning Ellies or is this still too a sensitive subject?

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

The SAPS behaviour in this matter is unacceptable!-makes one wonder if some of their members are in cahoots with poachers! Do they expect the APU members to risk loosing their lives by not returning fire? Sure-investigate the incident, but the benefit of doubt should go to the APU members until doubt is cleared.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Black Rhino + calf killed in Namibia

A black rhino and her calf have been killed by poachers in the remote Damaraland area of north-western Namibia, bringing the number of rhino poached this year to 24, police said on Monday."The carcass belonged to a black rhino cow that has been dehorned last month by the wildlife authorities, and the poachers removed the remaining horn stumps from the carcass and even the little horn stumps from the calf," detective chief inspector Barry de Klerk, who heads the protected resources unit, told a Sapa correspondent.
    "The rhino cow and the calf were found on 21 December during a routine patrol of the Save The Rhino Trust. Both animals had been shot dead. The carcasses were three or four days old."
    In the last two months three poached rhino with their horns removed were found in Namibia's world-famous Etosha National Park.
    The government has deployed soldiers and police to help nature conservation officers patrol remote areas where black rhino and elephants roam.
    To date 24 rhino were poached this year in Namibia, most of them black rhino and in the north-western areas.
    A nearby lodge manager has collected funds to rent a private helicopter to help conduct daily patrols.
    "Keeping the helicopter in the air costs N$8 500 per hour, an expensive exercise," said Fritz Schenk, manager of Palmwag Lodge.
    - SAPA

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Maak my bly as kinders ook daar van weet stap gister aand in die huis in my drie jarige staan by die deur met die en se vir my We say NO to Rhino Poaching
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dp123; 2015/05/21 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dp123 View Post
    Maak my bly as kinders ook daar van weet stap gister aand in die huis in my drie jarige staan by die deur met die en se vir my We say NO to Rhino Poaching
    10x chocolates vir hom

A whole batch of releases today on the rhino-poaching crisis-gives a bit of up-to-date insight-and some frightening current stats and evidence of suspicious goings-on!

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...tered-20150630

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-says-20150630

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...unter-20150627

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...erate-20150630

Indeed the whole scenario is frightening but allow me to share a glimmer of good news. Last weekend 2 gangs were apprehended in northern KZN, one in Pongola and one in St Lucia.

Added to this Treasury approved a R23m contract for 3 years for a Robinson 66 for Mkuze GR. This means they don't have to rely on the HIP chopper any more and those private reserves with agreements in place with Ezemvelo get the benefit of the chopper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Indeed the whole scenario is frightening but allow me to share a glimmer of good news. Last weekend 2 gangs were apprehended in northern KZN, one in Pongola and one in St Lucia.

Added to this Treasury approved a R23m contract for 3 years for a Robinson 66 for Mkuze GR. This means they don't have to rely on the HIP chopper any more and those private reserves with agreements in place with Ezemvelo get the benefit of the chopper as well.
    (HIP chopper-??)

Yes, right you are-there is that side of the issue too-good things are still happening in select areas-and kudos to all those doing this good work.

BUT-as positive as I myself have been in years gone about the powers-that-be who steer the conservation-ship---lately I get the sense that many ulterior motives are behind much of the action we see.

I cannot for the life of me understand how the poaching is getting worse despite the massive attention and resources focused on the issue today.

(At this rate the poachers would even get in if the rhino were kept at Nkandla compound! Images of a Trojan horse??)

Default Re: Rhino Poaching - Renoster Stroop

http://africageographic.com/blog/rhi...te-keeps-jail/

Rhino poaching kingpin, and the magistrate that keeps him out of jail

EXTRACT FROM THE FOLLOWING THIRD PARTY SOURCE: Written by: Jamie Joseph for savingthewild.com

Dumisani Gwala is the rhino poaching kingpin you’ve never heard of. Gwala is the leader of KwaZulu-Natal’s biggest rhino poaching syndicate, and it is believed about 80% of the horns in the province go through his hands.

To put this into perspective, KwaZulu-Natal had the highest rates of poaching in 2015, after ‘ground zero’ in Kruger National Park.

An eight-month intelligence-driven operation culminated in Gwala’s arrest in December 2014. Using a reverse sting, crime intelligence officers from Pretoria gained his trust by selling him rhino horn on five separate occasions. The horns were supplied by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife. In the final move, in the rural community of Manguzi (15km south of the Mozambique-South Africa border), a crime intelligence agent handed over a 5kg horn and received residual money from the previous sale. At that point a Special Task Team member jumped out of the boot of the agent’s car.

The alleged kingpin attempted to disarm the Special Task Team member, severely beating and biting him, and then he got into his car and attempted to run him over. Back-up arrived and Gwala was arrested.

Alleged rhino kingpin Gwala on the ground after arrest. He was shot in the leg while resisting arrest.
    Alleged rhino kingpin Gwala on the ground after arrest. He was shot in the leg while resisting arrest.
    Gwala is brutal by nature, and widely known among poaching circles and law enforcement as a man that rules by the gun. There have been several cases against him before, but the cases have either been withdrawn, or the dockets have suspiciously gone missing. While Gwala claims he is unemployed, the Asset Forfeiture Unit seized six luxury vehicles from his premises worth millions, including a BMW X5 and a 3-series, a Mercedes Kompressor, a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Prada.

When Gwala appeared in court, not only was he granted bail of a pittance of ZAR10,000 (US$600), but Magistrate Ngcobo released all his vehicles that had just been seized. South African Police Services (SAPS) immediately obtained a court order to repossess the vehicles, but when the Asset Forfeiture Unit arrived at his house to collect the vehicles, he stood defiantly at the entrance with a five-litre container of petrol and threatened to burn all the vehicles if the officers came any closer. The officers left and he quickly stashed all the vehicles. Only one vehicle has since been recovered.

Magistrate Ngcobo has a long history of letting off rhino poachers with a slap on the wrist or a small fine. Gwala’s defense attorney is Ngwenya, the same attorney that defends most of the poachers in KwaZulu-Natal. How these poverty stricken poachers can afford an attorney is still a mystery, but when Magistrate Ngcobo needs to attend cases in Pongola, he has been known to stay at Ngwenya’s house – so perhaps that is a question the two can answer together.

Just last week Magistrate Ngcobo acquitted Warrant Officer Christopher Gumbi in the Mtubatuba Magistrate’s Court. He was originally charged with armed robbery, possession of rhino horn, and defeating the ends of justice. Warrant Officer Christopher Gumbi, of the Jozini police cluster, was arrested about one year ago after an undercover operation and months of surveillance. Solomon Makgale, spokesperson for national police commissioner Riah Phiyega, said that Gumbi is alleged to have pointed his weapon at undercover agents posing as poachers, and robbed them of two rhino horns before fleeing without attempting to arrest them. Gumbi was later arrested with the rhino horns and his police service revolver was confiscated.

My sources tell me that on numerous occasions Warrant Officer Gumbi had seized rhino horns from poachers, and then sold them on to Gwala. My sources all tell me that on numerous occasions poachers that are caught poaching will admit that they are working for Gwala, but they refuse to testify against him in court as they fear for their lives.

South African criminal syndicates are working in conjunction with poachers from Mozambique, and the conviction rate of arrests are ashamedly low, often with poachers being let off with a small fine or a warning. This looting of our natural resources is just as much about humans as it is about animals, and if we continue to fail to prosecute these criminals, economies will collapse, causing more poverty and more conflict.

One of the few survivors of the poaching crisis.
    One of the few survivors of the poaching crisis.
    This is an appeal to Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to take action, to urgently investigate Magistrate Ngcobo and a judicial system that is clearly failing us.

- See more at: http://africageographic.com/blog/rhi....3On70bDk.dpuf
    Toyota

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...ld-raise-R29bn
    IF the proceeds would be utilized (under proper control and administration) to enhance the anti-poaching activities, then I would support this.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Cites is no small hurdle
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Systemic corruption & weaknesses in SouthAfrica police undermines effort to save rhino: http://globalinitiative.net/rhino-tipping-point/

Watch the @GI_TOC report launch trailer: https://youtu.be/QNQEdlJORF0 rhino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by APIGSA View Post
    Systemic corruption & weaknesses in SouthAfrica police undermines effort to save rhino: http://globalinitiative.net/rhino-tipping-point/

Watch the @GI_TOC report launch trailer: https://youtu.be/QNQEdlJORF0 rhino

​Thanks.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32