Rhino Poaching - Renoster Stroop - Page 14

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Default Make 2012 the year we save the Rhino

After yesterday’s news about the loss of eight rhinos at the Kruger National Park, our Facebook and Twitter fans were scrambling to think of solutions to this devastating crisis. A total of 443 rhinos were lost to poaching in 2011. Where does the blame lie and, more importantly, who is responsible for putting an end to the carnage? The answer, on both counts, is – we are. Human beings are responsible for the near extinction of the species and, if we are concerned about the plight of any animal that is powerless to defend itself from us, then it is up to us to act. We all feel powerless as individuals and often wonder what difference we could really make alone. But taking some sort of action, no matter how small, is better than taking none. As Jane Goodall has said, “Whatever you do makes a difference. You just have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” Information is empowerment, so we wanted to share some ideas on how you can help save the rhino.
    Spread the word

Don’t underestimate the power of social media. Make your status “Rhino horn is not medicine”. Visit Saving Rhinos (savingrhinos.org), educate yourself and then help spread the message globally. People can only act when they are informed. With enough repetition, the message can strike a chord.
    Wear the message

Buy a t-shirt from Saving Rhinos and help support their work.
    Get proactive

What are you doing this weekend that could be more important than this? Organize your own fundraiser. Wash cars, bake cakes, or have a garage sale. Rally your community, church or child’s school to participate in raising funds and awareness. You can contribute funds directly to rhino conservation organizations, such as the International Rhino Foundation. Your children will look up to you, you’ll feel a renewed sense of purpose and you will have contributed to something far greater than yourself.
    Whatever you do makes a difference. You just have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. ― Jane Goodall
    Search smarter

Every time you do an online search, use goodsearch.com and enter the International Rhino Foundation as the charity you want to support. Goodsearch donates half its revenue to charities nominated by you.
    Take care

Shop carefully – here and abroad. Don’t buy animal products that might threaten the rhino – such as ceremonial daggers popular in the Middle East. (This can be extended to include ivory, turtle shell, crocodile skin, bird feathers, coral and sea shells – all of which might endanger the survival of a species.)
    Speak up!

Email the Minister of Environmental affairs, Edna Molewa, as well as the Deputy Minister of Environmental Affairs, Ms Rejoice Thizwilondi Mabudafhasi and tell them that you want to support legislation and funding that protects rhinos and combats illegal wildlife trade. Governments can put pressure on countries where the black market demand for rhino horns is strongest. They can be contacted via these addresses.

And don’t stop talking, there. Keep the conversation going. Keep talking to friends, co-workers, neighbours and strangers about the rhino crisis. Be positive! Conversation generates awareness and stimulates ideas and therein lie the solutions.

Leave us a comment and let us know if you have any ideas to combat the poaching crisis, and let’s make 2012 the year we save the rhino!

http://www.krugerpark.com/blog/index...ave-the-rhino/
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Default Petition to Goverment

VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Niks wat ons try sal regtig help nie want tien teen een is die stopers familie of boeties van een of ander persoon wat by die krugerwildtuin betrokke is of werk wat hulle tips gee van waar wen wanneer om toe te slaan. ons regering is te slapgat om iets regtig te doen want hulle kan moes nie hul boeties of familie aan die gereg oor gee nie daar is net te veel korrupsie in die land om enige iets noemens waardig te doen. En hoeveel wat gevang word kry borgtog en dan sien jy hulle nooit weer nie. Ek se skiet die bliksems dood en kry klaar o het vergeet die klomp mense regters of wat hulle ook genoem word daai klomp gemors wat so mooi kyk na die skelms se regte ens. hulle moet eerste uit geroei word.
    GP0019
    Discovery 1
    1996 JEEP XJ - Donated
    2000 HILUX D/C-Sold

Have you guys checked the last few episodes of Aardwolf on Kyknet. They got into contact with a informant who works for the police working as an dealer for the poachers. Took him with on all the deals etc, even sat in a room with a poachers explaining exactly how it is done etc. Was shocking and you have to see how curropt our police are. Must say the anti pouching unit was fired up and was very helpfull. But the normal uniform guys they just wanted money. Even threatened the journalist, they had to go and hide in the bush from the police.

According to the poacher, SA is the easiest place to poach rhino and elephants. Worst place in africa is ZIM and swaziland. If caught you are shot on the spot.

http://www.rooitrok.com/jl15/index.php
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty MW3
    Synergy 3" lift
    Metal Cloack Gamechanger Arms
    Fox 2.0
    Project4WD Bumpers
    DirtyLife Beadlocks
    37" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3

Camelman, I hear you - and I don't have anything against Chinese per say - but it seems that the whole Rhino horn & Ivory poaching industry exists because of the market for such products in... yes, China.

Apart from that, a lot of jobs and production is lost in SA because of SA's ties to China.... lost jobs mean increased crime - no matter how we see it. I think it's our government's responsibility to prevent this, but I think a lot of palms are greased and pockets are lined by the Chinese... thus the state of affairs as it is.

Now, two guys evidently in the trade of these products are in court .... and the people are so tired of the whole scenario that they are baying for blood. That's how I feel too.

Then, to post bail of ONLY R70K is rediculous. What kind of message are we sending out??
    Live.
    Love.
    Laugh.

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

It seems that these 2 suspected poachers didn't get bail at all:

http://www.businessday.co.za/article...aspx?id=162472
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

Douglas, I'm not sure if the dissapproval of your post is on my post or the first post. But if so, my point has nothing to do with game management.

(Indeed, I personally see no reason why rhino and elephant should not be farmed if they hold such a high income yield, unless the cost of raising a single rhino is more than a bar.)

My point was two fold and probably not well put over.

1. It does not make commercial sense to sell something under value (and lay landmines in your own backyard while doing so). Saying that Rhino horn has squat value because it is illegal to trade in it, appears naive, unless the Department has a seroius control in place to ensure this the rhino is not sold on. Such controls over several years will cost more in expences than the capital gain they obtained in the first year. Either way the Department loses. One bar once off is very little money unless the intention is to tender a rhino a week.

It is also a fact of the tender that this constitutes trade as this is a contract of sale, and it appears logical to assume that somehow this trade is sanctioned by the powers that have banned it. So there's no reason why they might not just as well sell the rhino on to an asian buyer that will pay a price at least equivalent to the horn's value.

2. My second point is that its not wise for guardians of resources to allow partial trade in a banned commodity. I've seen enough scams to question whether the single rhino may land up being three, five or twenty. Whose counting? I no longer have the stats on abelone exports to the east but they went something along the lines that the tonnage exported by legitimate concession holders in SA was something like a third to a quarter of the landed tonnage in China (the chinese have no reason not to declare the imports correctly and a mere paper trail showed that the respective concession holders were quadtriplicating the same export permits. Naturally, this did not result in any criminal prosecution, probably because in law, you would need to show which of the export transactions was illegal - which is technically not possible because you have allowed one of them.

Similarly, I don't think the Department is doing the NPA a favour in this regard. From various media reports it appears common knowledge that the illegal trade of wild life operates within a sector of the regulated industry and with at least some collusion by officials.

Vis-a-vis my last comment at humouring this position, it is a bit like the cops asking me to hold on to a kilo of cocaine for safekeeping, (or allowing me to traffic with two asian girls, etc.) I'm not allowed to trade in it, but if ever I were to be bust for possession, well, I have every right to have it in my possession. Just look how diffficult it is to bring the various scabangers to book as it is. This only complicates matters.

Somewhat off topic, I'm never too impressed with champions of society and only point to Cyril Beeka's funeral guest list to show the blurring betweeen those we hold as heroes and those we deem as scum. Most people on this forum appear and probably are very sincere, good and caring people. You only need to read the posts and see how forumites interact with each other. But equally, many of us are naive when going about our everyday lives.

Angry More than 1 Rhino killed per day now

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...74118079315686

Five suspected rhino poachers have been arrested in the North West Province, the Hawks confirmed on Friday.

On Thursday, officials pounced on the gang after a year-long investigation.

One suspect managed to escape and is still at large.

Since the beginning of 2012, over 20 rhino have been poached in South Africa. The country also lost a record 448 rhino in 2011.

The Private Rhino Owners Association's Pelham Jones has praised authorities for the arrests.

“This gang was arrested while on route to carry out a poaching attack,” he added.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Sad , very sad Want to say more , but i'l sit on my hands
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Volksblad wrote:

Altesaam 29 Renosters in 9 dae gestroop: 20 daarvan is in die wildtuin. As jy dit pro-rata uitwerk, sal dit meer as 1000 aan die einde van 2012 wees.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...74118079315686

Thanks for notice - Dee Bratuchin

ATTENTION : 2 RANGERS SHOT FROM RUKINGA , MAUNGU. SHOT BY POACHERS USING AK47's TODAY AT 5:00PM 1 RANGER DEAD THE OTHER STRUGLING FOR HIS LIFE ..PLEASE PRAY FOR THE RANGERS AND THEIR FAMILIES ..
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

I am really starting to agre with Coert on this Actually felt so long ago , just did not say it Shoot the Vermin

Any news on the Ranger in Hospital And yes , our thoughts and prayers to those families
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

SHOUT

Why can we not deploy the South African Defence Force to the Kruger Park and other strategic areas' to patrol and protect our depleting Rhino population?
    Poachers must be arrested and taken into custody where they must be interrogated and information gathered to be used to break the back of these illegal syndicates destroying a beautiful and precious animals.
    If these killers will not surrender willingly when apprehended then they must face the dire consequences that follow such murderous actions.
    We are at WAR!! #SAVETHERHINO - SHOUT

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhinos...74118079315686
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Exclamation Rhino crisis - how you can help

http://www.wwf.org.uk/news_feed.cfm?...w-you-can-help

Rhino crisis - how you can help

13 January 2012
    We know you'll feel as angry as we do about the latest shocking figures on rhino poaching - 448 rhinos killed in South Africa alone in 2011, including 19 critically endangered black rhinos. The worst figures on record, and fuelled by rising demand in Asia, particularly Vietnam, where rhino horn is sold as a spurious cancer medicine and even a lifestyle post-party drug for the rich. Rhinos could be wiped out for a hangover cure! Please help us tackle this outrage...

Two things at the top of the list:

1) Make sure you don't buy anything containing rhino horn - whatever medicinal properties you’re told it has. And if you see or hear about any suspicious trade in the UK or abroad, please let us know.

2) Help us tackle poaching on the ground by supporting activities such as the heroic anti-poaching patrols in rhino range countries. Your donations can help fund vital staffing and equipment to deter the increasingly well-organised and ruthless poaching gangs, as well as helping us address the illegal trade in rhino horn, and secure and expand rhino habitat.

We already saw one tragic and irreversible consequence of poaching last year when the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct in Vietnam - the last survivor shot for its horn.

Vietnam has been identified as a top destination for illegal rhino horn, but rhino ranges are being targeted by poachers all across Asia and Africa - particularly in South Africa, where most remaining rhinos are found. And that's despite increased arrests there and prison sentences of up to 16 years.

Rhino poaching and smuggling is now being co-ordinated by sophisticated international criminal syndicates, with big profits to be made by supplying wealthy clients. So it’s not enough to arrest the local poachers - the 'little guys'. Investigators need to target those at the top too.

We're working hard with governments, communities and other partners across Africa and Asia to help stop the illegal trade, and make sure authorities clamp down hard on all those responsible.

And we've seen some positive results - in Nepal, thanks to the tremendous efforts of the national government and organisations like ourselves, there wasn't a single case of rhino poaching detected last year. It gives us the belief that, with the right measures put in place, the battle against rhino poaching can be won.

You can...

Adopt a rhino
    Donate to WWF
    Find out more about how we're tackling illegal wildlife trade
    Read about the recent tragic extinction of the Javan rhino in Vietnam
    See more about our work to protect rhinos - including translocation by air!
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

http://www.africanconservation.org/2...ease-in-nation

South Africa — Despite increased law enforcement efforts, rhino poaching accelerated in South Africa last year. The country lost 448 rhinos to poaching in 2011, official government statistics reveal. The total includes 19 critically endangered black rhinos, of which fewer than 5,000 remain in the wild. In 2010, 333 South African rhinos were killed by poachers, nearly three times the number killed in 2009.

"The rate of poaching increase may appear to be faltering, but the bottom line is more rhinos than ever were poached in 2011," said Dr Colman O Criodain, WWF's wildlife trade policy analyst. "If left unchecked, poaching gangs could put the survival of these iconic species in jeopardy."

More than half of South Africa's rhino deaths occurred in world-famous Kruger National Park. The popular safari destination lost 252 rhinos in 2011, and witnessed the poaching of an additional eight rhinos in the first weeks of the new year, according to authorities from South Africa National Parks.

South African law enforcement officials made 232 poaching-related arrests in 2011, compared to 165 the previous year. Sentences imposed for rhino crimes have also increased in recent years, with poachers and horn smugglers receiving as long as 16 years in prison.

"Rhino poaching is being conducted by sophisticated international criminal syndicates that smuggle horns to Asia," said Dr Morné du Plessis, CEO of WWF-South Africa. "It's not enough to bust the little guy; investigators need to shut down the kingpins organising these criminal operations. Governments in Africa and Asia must work together across borders to stop the illegal trade."

The recent upsurge in rhino poaching has been tied to increased demand for rhino horn in Asia, particularly Vietnam, where it carries prestige as a luxury item, as a post-partying cleanser, and also as a purported cancer cure.

"Rhino horn has gained popularity among wealthy Vietnamese elites and business people to give as a gift, when currying political favour, or taking as an antidote to overindulgence," said Tom Milliken, TRAFFIC's rhino trade expert. "But killing endangered rhinos to mitigate a hangover is a criminal way to see in the New Year,"

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine experts, rhino horn has no proven cancer treating properties. Contrary to popular myth, it has never been used in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) has found that consumer demand in Vietnam is driving much of the rhino poaching. CITES has also ruled that Vietnam needs to show progress in curtailing illegal trade in rhino parts and derivatives.

"So far we have yet to see Vietnam respond to this ruling from CITES," says O Criodain. "For that matter, CITES must put pressure on Vietnam to respond meaningfully, as it has done with other countries whose compliance with the Convention has been called into question."

Relevant Links
    Southern Africa
    South Africa
    Wildlife
    Legal Affairs
    Because it is home to most of world's rhinos, South Africa has been the epicentre of poaching. However, rhinos in other African and Asian range countries are also being targeted by poachers.

In October, WWF announced the extinction of rhinos in Vietnam. The last Javan rhinoceros in the country was killed by poachers and its horn removed. In Nepal, however, strong conservation and law enforcement efforts ensured that no rhinos were lost to poaching in 2011.

In both Africa and Asia, WWF and TRAFFIC are providing assistance to field rangers, criminal investigators, prosecutors, and customs authorities. Additionally, TRAFFIC has facilitated visits between South African and Vietnamese government officials to discuss deepening cooperation on law enforcement.

A bilateral treaty to ramp up law enforcement collaboration between South Africa and Vietnam was negotiated in September 2011 but still remains unsigned.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhinos...74118079315686
    Last edited by JohanJvV; 2012/01/15 at 01:20 PM.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Default Krugerwildtuin kry nóg 150 veldwagters

http://afrikaans.news24.com/Suid-Afr...gters-20120115

Pretoria – Nóg 150 veldwagters sal vanjaar in die Krugerwildtuin ontplooi word in 'n poging om renosterstropery te bekamp, het Edna Molewa, minister van omgewingsake, Sondag gesê.

Molewa het die Nasionale Persklub op 'n mediakonferensie in Pretoria toegespreek en gesê 500 veldwagters is tans werksaam in die park.

Haar aankondiging kom nadat 11 renosters sover vanjaar in die land gestroop is.

In 2011 is 448 renosters in Suid-Afrika gestroop.

"Die stropery van ons renosterbevolking is 'n groot bron van kommer vir die regering," het Molewa gesê.

Sowat 232 mense is reeds in hegtenis geneem vir renosterstropery.

http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Sou...ation-20120113
    Last edited by JohanJvV; 2012/01/15 at 07:31 PM.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Default Kruger needs R400m to safeguard rhino

http://www.businessday.co.za/article...aspx?id=162589

SANPARKS would need an investment of close to R400m to beef up security in the Kruger National Park if it is to make any progress in its war on rhino poachers, CEO David Mabunda said on Sunday.
    This would allow SANParks to employ 1600 more rangers at the Kruger National Park and to refurbish 150km of fencing on its eastern boundary, which borders Mozambique.
    Addressing the media on Sunday with Mr Mabunda, Water and Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa said her department would meet the Department of Public Works on Monday to discuss the budgeted plan to re-erect the Kruger National Park fence where it had been dropped along the Mozambique border. "We would like to do more but it would cost close to R200m for the 150km of fencing," she said.
    Ms Molewa said SANParks would also employ an additional 150 rangers, adding to the 500 already employed in the park.
    The number of rhinos illegally killed in South Africa last year reached the staggering tally of 448. In the first two weeks of this year, 20 have been poached.
    South Africa is home to almost 90% of the world’s estimated 22800 rhinos. The animals are under unprecedented attack, linked to increased demand in Asia, particularly Vietnam, Thailand and Laos, thought to be sparked by increased affluence in the East.
    Mr Mabunda said curbing rhino poaching was "mission impossible" with the current ratio of 50000ha per ranger. The 10000ha per ranger required "would mean a staff increase of 1600 people at about R200m".
    He said SANParks wanted to avoid a situation where the loss rate from rhino poaching in South Africa — which is currently at 5% — exceeded the 6% birth rate.
    Poor and unemployed people on the Mozambican side of the border were candidates to be recruited by poaching syndicates, he said.
    Mr Mabunda acknowledged SANParks staff could be involved in poaching and said he did not "preside over an organisation of angels". There were internal systems to detect foul play and staff were properly vetted, he said.
    Last year, 232 people were arrested for rhino poaching.

Ms Molewa said the laws could be stricter and penalties harsher. "Poaching has been declared a priority crime and we are preparing a discussion at Cabinet level."
    Last edited by JohanJvV; 2012/01/16 at 11:24 AM.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

US65 000 per kilo for horn. Average 5kg per horn = 325 000 per horn.

This is 325 US, so meaning it is 2.6 million ZAR

400 / 2.6 = 153 Rhino horns

So go and harvest the horn, take the money and save them!

VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

In Zim they have a shoot on sight policy of any suspected poacher. In Zambia they used to have a armed soldier with each Rhino 24/7 in the Park outside of Livingstone, Why cant SA do one or both of the Above??

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast