Rhino Poaching - Renoster Stroop - Page 10

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

"This link expresses it better than me: http://blog.earth-touch.com/nature-n...os-by-numbers/"

Wow that is a shocking infographic.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcatt View Post
    "This link expresses it better than me: http://blog.earth-touch.com/nature-n...os-by-numbers/"

Wow that is a shocking infographic.
    shocking, but true and makes a great statement. I always like pictures more than words
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.4 V6 - Ingalube
    '03 Toyota Prado 4.0 V6 - Inkhombe
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA
    '02 Isuzu KB 280 4x4 - SOLD
    '99 Toyota 2.7 Raider - SOLD
    '96 Land Rover Defender TDi Hardtop - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by emilevdh View Post
    Not much in itself, but I think it is a step in the right direction for us 'armchair conservasionists', the more aware you and your family and your community is about the problem, the more people will get involved in some or other way, this comes in so many forms.

2249 now feel the same way
    If it was 2 249 000 that feel the same way, would Rhino's be any safer?
    If it was 2 249 000 000 that feel the same way, would Rhino's be any safer?

All I'm saying is, shouldn't we rather be donating money to organizations that actually try to prevent Rhino poaching instead of simply adding our names to lists to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside?
    I mean, the thread title does imply that we can do something to STOP Rhino poaching. Shouldn't we then be trying to do something to STOP Rhino poaching? Names on lists don't stop Rhino poaching. Money stops Rhino poaching. Money to employ people to shoot poachers, if looked at simplistically. Money to buy vehicles, fuel, arms, ammunition, salaries, overheads, logistics etc etc...
    Last edited by RedLineR; 2011/02/04 at 01:45 PM.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; ½T=1 but, 1/2T=¼

Quote Originally Posted by RedLineR View Post
    Names on lists don't stop Rhino poaching. Money stops Rhino poaching. Money to employ people to shoot poachers, if looked at simplistically. Money to buy vehicles, fuel, arms, ammunition, salaries, overheads, logistics etc etc...
    Agree, that is why you could donate at the same time, to an organised effort. At least by raising awareness, more people that are able to donate in some way can do so...
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Quote Originally Posted by emilevdh View Post
    Agree, that is why you could donate at the same time, to an organised effort. At least by raising awareness, more people that are able to donate in some way can do so...
    Agreed
    SWAMBO
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

If it was 2 249 000 that feel the same way, would Rhino's be any safer?
    If it was 2 249 000 000 that feel the same way, would Rhino's be any safer?
    I think they definitely would.

As emilevdh said - the more numbers, the more people will get involved in some form or another.

One of those forms would definitely be monetary donations....

Not to sound insensitive...
    But I'm rather ignorant in these matters...

What good does a bunch of names on a database do?

Is there a donation involved to actually fund the guys on the ground that try to prevent rhino poaching? Or this an empty thing where people feel better because their name is on some petition list, and it didn't cost them money?

Are we hoping that the poachers will see the list of names and stop poaching?
    Are we hoping that a list of names inspires someone somewhere to actually give the money needed to combat poaching?

What good does the list of names itself do?
    I think you might have come in, in the middle & missed what this is about,

STOPRHINOPOACHING, or Conserv is building a database, but the databse is not just a list of names, it is a list of names of people who are prepared to give of their time and get physically involved in the antipoaching effort.

meetings have already been held and more are to follow where the actual tasks etc will be allocated , responding teams built etc, but it has to start with a list of who can & will help and in what capacity.

read all the info and then comment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    STOPRHINOPOACHING, or Conserv is building a database, but the databse is not just a list of names, it is a list of names of people who are prepared to give of their time and get physically involved in the antipoaching effort.
    Thanks Doug, I would to love to get actively involved where I can.

The initial reason for me posting on this thread was to raise awareness of the great efforts of organizations like stoprhinopoaching, conserv, earth-thouch and bushwarriors to name just a few are making. I think for those unable to help physically, getting your online support is crucial.

If you are 80 years old or 15, you may not be able to go shoot poachers on the weekend, but you can tell your friends and you can donate in other ways...
    Last edited by emilevdh; 2011/02/04 at 02:15 PM. Reason: more typos
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    I think you might have come in, in the middle & missed what this is about,

meetings have already been held and more are to follow where the actual tasks etc will be allocated , responding teams built etc, but it has to start with a list of who can & will help and in what capacity.

read all the info and then comment.
    I think I may have Doug.
    Guys like you who I know throw in your personal time into conservation, that I can see as making a real difference.
    And I admit, I missed the center link on that page where one can donate.

But, in my defence, I did read through the opening and closing paragraphs. Nothing there really show what impact I as redliner can have to actually help prevent poaching.
    It's just a "fill in you name and feel better" type form.
    Instead of really highlighting the time and monetary donation value.

I honestly want to help. And tonight when I get my hands on my credit card, I'll make a R50 donation, because I know it will make a difference.
    And I challenge my fellow members! Throw in a R20 or R50. There is a facility for EFT etc.
    Names on lists are nice....
    But volunteer time and money go so much further.

Here's link we should all be using!
    Help stop rhino poaching!
    http://www.stoprhinopoaching.com/donate.aspx
    Last edited by RedLineR; 2011/02/04 at 02:23 PM.
    SWAMBO
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

But, in my defence, I did read through the opening and closing paragraphs. Nothing there really show what impact I as redliner can have to actually help prevent poaching.
    It's just a "fill in you name and feel better" type form.
    Instead of really highlighting the time and monetary donation value.
    I at first missed it too...
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Here's link we should all be using!
    Help stop rhino poaching!
    http://www.stoprhinopoaching.com/donate.aspx
    Thanks RedLiner

it all helps.

Default An appeal to all members

Can I appeal to all members not to donate on a once only basis for this cause? Let us make a big effort and commit ourselfs to make a monthly contribution. The amount is up to you but PLEASE make it every month, this way we can help to make an actual difference.
    Thanks to everyone that commits to this appeal.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Default Stop Rhino poaching

Quote Originally Posted by piri View Post
    http://www.stoprhinopoaching.com/register.aspx

Do your bit to STOP Rhino poacing!

Am I missing something hear. The original thread posted by Piri has got a link to it that has some clips of 50/50.
    At the end it has got a form to be completed which asks whether you would support the LEGAL trade in Rhino Horn. They do not ask for donations.
    The second post by Emilevdh has got links to sites that ask for donations.
    I think we have to different issues here, each with there own merits.
    So putting your name on this list has got its own merits as well as the one asking for donations

Hi Chris,

The organization that accepts donations is stoprhinopoaching.

The links to earth-touch merely provide more information regarding the problem.

As the authors of both sites have mentioned, there are many different methods that have been suggested to curb the problem.

As that link I posted earlier shows all of these have certain pro's and con's.

Hope this makes it clearer.
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

And I think that question merely serves the purpose to get some stats on whether YOU feel that solution is the correct one.
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    Can I appeal to all members not to donate on a once only basis for this cause? Let us make a big effort and commit ourselfs to make a monthly contribution. The amount is up to you but PLEASE make it every month, this way we can help to make an actual difference.
    Thanks to everyone that commits to this appeal.
    Andre, I think that is a great idea! As it will be an ongoing effort!

It seems poached rhino stats have gone up.

Some room for thought... Which possible solution do you guys think is best?
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Donation made!

As mentioned there are several suggested methods: Microchips, Poison, Dehorning, Legalization

Images used from: http://blog.earth-touch.com/nature-n...-need-to-know/

Sanparks has suggested one more method:
    Last week SANParks announced the implementation of a new tool to assist with the fight against rhino poaching. By documenting individual rhino DNA and using this information to link recovered rhino horns to specific crime scenes, we will be able to pin individuals to a specific crime and to prosecute them for more than the lesser crime of possession alone.
    http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=1596

Know of any others?

Which do you think could work?

Or a combination?
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

You can also dontate from this link: http://jacarandafm.amazee.com/wwwstoprhinopoachingcom

Where you can also get a sticker for your vehicle to help in awareness.
    '02 Pajero 3.2 DiD - MIA

Default Score 10 for the good guys...

They got another (adjectives removed for TOS reasons) poacher

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...n-KZN-20110325

Rhino poacher shot dead in KZN
    2011-03-25 14:54

Johannesburg - A suspected rhino poacher was shot dead in a clash with Ezemvelo KwaZulu-Natal Wildlife rangers at the Ndumo Game Reserve in Mganu, the conservation organisation said on Friday.

The shooting incident, which happened on late Thursday afternoon, followed the discovery of a freshly killed adult female white rhino earlier in the morning, said spokesperson Musa Mntambo.

"Only the anterior [front] horn had been crudely removed and the posterior horn was still in place," he said.

The discovery prompted field rangers to secure the site for further investigation and they positioned themselves in thick bush around the site in case the poachers returned to collect the remaining horn.

Around 18:00, five men were observed approaching the site.

Waiting field rangers, acting according to established protocol, challenged the men by announcing who they were, and called on them to lay down their weapons, Mntambo said.

Pointed weapon at rangers

"One man, who was carrying a rifle, immediately lifted the weapon and pointed it at the field rangers, who [then] opened fire, wounding him in the leg.

"The other four intruders fled into the thick bush surrounding the site," Mntambo said.

First aid treatment was administered to the wounded man. However he died before an ambulance arrived.

A .375 calibre hunting rifle was confiscated.

Mntambo said the case was handed over to police for investigation.

The killed rhino brought the KwaZulu-Natal total of poached rhinos since the beginning of the year to nine - seven from protected areas and two from private properties.

The recent killing follows the shooting of another white rhino in Ndumo on Tuesday.

- SAPA
    as they were on 9 a month or so back, I assume it's 10 now. they have slowed down a bit.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...chers-20110211

Park rangers crack down on poachers
    2011-02-11 22:31

Johannesburg - Park rangers are cracking down, hard and with lethal force, on rhinoceros poaching. Nine alleged poachers have already been killed this year by rangers, twice as many as in all of 2010.

The sharp increase in the number of poacher deaths has gone hand-in-hand with an uptick in the number of killings by poachers of rhinos for their horns, which fetch top dollar in Asia where they're prized for their purported medicinal powers.

The rangers only fire on poachers in self-defence, insisted Bandile Mkhize, chief executive of KwaZulu-Natal parks and a former top manager at the Kruger Park.

"The major problem is that the poachers are heavily armed," he said. "Do we allow them to shoot our rangers as well as our rhinos?"

Last year, 333 rhinos were illegally killed, nearly three times as many as in 2009.

Park rangers have responded by stepping up training and patrols. Army troops are even expected to join anti-poaching patrols in Kruger later this year.

Battlefield tactics

Wildlife agents in Kenya undergo paramilitary training and hunt down suspected poachers using battlefield tactics.

In December 2009, poachers shot and killed a Kenya Wildlife Service ranger. In response, wildlife agents set up an ambush of the suspects and killed two of them.

Armed wildlife agents walk Kenya's national parks on foot to hunt for poachers.

Kenyan wildlife agents shot and killed five poachers in November, the highest ever in one month.

Deadly force

"The efforts from the rangers on the ground are a lot better, and more sharp," said conservationist Faan Coetzee of South Africa's private Endangered Wildlife Trust.

"Inevitably you are going to pick up more poachers, and obviously the poachers are armed, and they normally shoot first."

The poachers often come from impoverished communities around game parks, said Joseph Okori, Africa rhino programme manager for the Washington-based World Wildlife Fund.

Law enforcement must ensure that using deadly force against poachers does not become the norm, he said, adding that those killed by rangers would quickly be replaced in a country where a quarter of the work force is unemployed.

Large profits

International syndicates which traffic in rhino horns and take large profits are also recruiting poachers from countries like Mozambique that have even weaker economies.

Coetzee said it is difficult to estimate how much a poacher is paid, but believes that while it may seem like a small fortune to an unemployed immigrant, it is only a fraction of what the syndicates earn.
    I think the Rhino count is pretty bad though...

Hopefully the good guys can get their score up a bit more!!!
    Last edited by JennyB; 2013/06/09 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Content added

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast