Is the XTrail a good buy?

Thumbs up Is the XTrail a good buy?

Hi 4x4 Community

I'm relatively new to the 4x4 realm; about to be rid of my Toyota Yaris and step into days of manhood by purchasing a larger vehicle. I'll be living in Cape Town, and so am looking for something that will suit a multi faceted life (which seems to be the xtrail's selling point), be able to tow comfortably, as well as fit into small Capetonian parking spaces. The Xtrail seems to fit the bill perfectly, but I thought a good idea to get the advise of the experts before going and spending a fortune.

I'm looking at the 2.5 Petrol 4x4 M/T SE, but I hear that Diesel will be a lot better with regard to fuel consumption. Also, I hear that perhaps getting a 4x2 may be worth it, in terms of saving cash and not losing too much power.

Many thanks
    Devon

Basically, I want xtrail owners to let me know if they are happy with their buy, is it a car I could own for the next 5/6 years? I seems, from some posts here, that there are often battery issues with the xtrail, that it often just loses power and all the fancy electronics just shut down?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The Xtrail IS a nice vehicle. Check what your precise specifications for use are and then decide.

I will give the diesel X-trail a +1 before the petrol. Diesel tows like a dream.

with the 4x4 you will be able to do some sand driving etc...

I had the 2.5 petrol 4x4. gt the 4x4 as it opens up so many more possibilities. I eventually sold mine because I wanted a proper 4x4 with low range and bought a fortuner (2nd hand).

the main drawback with the X-Trail is that it is not a proper 4x4, but that may not be a problem for you. and it is EXPENSIVE to maintain and repair if something goes wrong. things like shocks, clutches and so on are only available from Nissan at a large price tag. I realised this soon after I got my fortuner - MUCH cheaper.

Loved loved loved my xtrail 2lt.Nice cruizer,fairly good fuel consumption,not one hassle.
    I would suggest buy a well priced 2 lt and use it for some time to see what you need from this type of car.If you need more and in a year or two you trade you wont lose much as they are very popular and then you can make an informed decision on your next vehicle

For the same price you can look at "proper" 4x4's with low range. (even Pajero) I have nothing against the X Trail except the lack of low range. Do you like touring Africa and trails etc. If yes then you are going to keep the vehicle a very short time before trading in on a low range vehicle. Rather spend wisely and buy right first time round.

SWAMBO ry die X-Trail. 2.5 A/T 4x4.
    BAIE nice kar. Ek sal een aanbeveel.
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    SWAMBO ry die X-Trail. 2.5 A/T 4x4.
    BAIE nice kar. Ek sal een aanbeveel.
    Jan Floris
    Discovery II TD5
    Gelandewagen 300GD

My point .....

Koop liewers 'n proper 4 x 4 met low range. Ek het 'n Xtrail (2.5 l 4x4) gehad en dit is 'n fantiese moter maar kon nie regitg gaan 4x4 nie. Hang alles af wat jy wil doen met die kar.

The X-trail is a very nice car.
    So is the Subaru Forester, and the Fortuner, and the Pajero, and ... I kind of envy you.
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Default Happy owner

I bought mine about 6 months ago ( 2008 2.5 SEL auto 4x4 with 105K on it) and so far no complaints. I've done about 12 000 km with it.
    I did ask a 2.0 owner before buying it who told me hers was good in terms of fuel consumption and she has had no problems. Mine - not the lightest but average I suppose for its size and weight. ( city: 14-15l/100 - open road down to 10-11l/100 at a decent speed with trailer ) My wife has a bit of a lead foot at the robots which doesn't help! Don't expect Yaris fuel economy, but compared to my old chrysler neon 2.0 its not bad. ( that was an average 12l/100 ) I'll bet it's a lot better than toyota 4.0 fortuners or ford explorers. I was eyeing a murano and I'm glad I didn't get it as it's quite a lot heavier on fuel I believe.
    My battery has started to give out already, but I put it on a dedicated charger and it's been fine for the last week or so. I still need to test and confirm if the battery is poked.
    Comfortable car - doesn't feel like a lumbering barge and good space for the family. I've got bridgestone dual tyres on which are good both on tar and gravel.
    I steered away from the diesel - mostly because of the higher cost of a good second hand auto and I also heard of injector problems. I work for a parts supplier and a guy at work said I must watch out for over heating, but I've used it on some bad tracks and so far no hassles. He has an opel so lost all credibility in my books ;-)
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    Jan Floris
    Discovery II TD5
    Gelandewagen 300GD

My point .....
    LOL. Ja. Hang af wat jy wil doen.
    Jy gaan regkom in sanderige toestande en 'n paar bulte en slote. Maar onthou dis 'n soft roader. (een van die bestes in sy klas volgens my)

As jy na 'n ouer model kyk (myne is 2004) kan jy hulle kry vir min geld - dis nou in vergelyking met die hoeveelhied "kar" wat jy kry. Die spotlights op die dak maak bestuur in die aand baie makliker, en hy het ook 'n "moewiese" groot sunroof.

Die ander ding wat ek baie van hou is die agterste sitplekke wat heeltemal plat gelyk met die vloer slaan. Jy kan hom dan lekker laai.

Ek sal wel nie 'n nuwe X-Trail koop nie. Hulle is net te duur. Vir daai geld sal ek soos Dave se eerde 'n behoorlike 4x4 het low range ens koop.

Sterkte!
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

Well, if you can give us more details on what you will be using it for.....
    What will you be towing? Venter trailer, bike trailer, camping trailer, caravan?
    How big is the family?
    I personally liked a DC more, as you can pack anything in the back and it does not mess up the seats. You can not do that with a SUV.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

hi guys, I am looking at getting an x-trail 2.5, auto. I would like to use it go to moz and lesotho on hollidays.. other than that it will be a daily driving car.

Will it be good enough for moz / lesotho?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    hi guys, I am looking at getting an x-trail 2.5, auto. I would like to use it go to moz and lesotho on hollidays.. other than that it will be a daily driving car.

Will it be good enough for moz / lesotho?

For sand driving its fine, except when the middel mannetjie gets very high

Hi guys.I have just bought a 2.5 xtrail 4x4 and am really looking forward to driving it, its a 2005 model with not to many km on the clock.anything I should look out for?please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rvanheerden View Post
    Koop liewers 'n proper 4 x 4 met low range. Ek het 'n Xtrail (2.5 l 4x4) gehad en dit is 'n fantiese moter maar kon nie regitg gaan 4x4 nie. Hang alles af wat jy wil doen met die kar.

I learned this lesson the hard way..... R40 000 and 10 months installment is what I lost when selling my X-trail. For on road use it was a great car. And it even introduced me to off-road, which is why I sold it. As daai gogga jou byt.....
    2000 Pajero 3.5 lwb
    30" BFG's
    Mods still to come
    31" ?
    Rock sliders
    Some minor lift
    DIY bumper

Second hand toyota is beter then a new nissan Buy something with a low range.
    Johan Kriel

I had one (secondhand 2006 model last year) Sold it 3 weeks after I bought it, I hated it.

However, it is a comfortable ride and very spacious.

I wouldnt buy it if you planning on 4x4ing with it, like a previous post says, Good for sand trails and thats about it.
    Rather buy a toyota fortuner/mitsubishi pajero or something in that line with lowrange.
    2008 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JKU