Road from Moamba to Macia in Moz

Default Road from Moamba to Macia in Moz

Anyone traveled on this road between Komatiepoort and Xai-Xai. What is it's current condition and how does it look in the rainy season, like December?
    Anyone?
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Default Road from Moamba to Macia in Moz

Impi, I did the trip from Macia to Moamba in April and it wasn't wet except when I got to Moamba and decided on a further short cut instead of getting onto the EN4 I followed a T4A route and got into some serious mud / wetland stuff and I was also on my own, it got a little hairy. The road itself is pretty uneventful although as I say it was dry when I used it. As an alternative to going through Maputo and potentially dealing with officialdom I will choose the route over the EN4/EN1 everytime. The distance is shorter but the time it takes is about the same.
    John from Joburg<br><br>2001 Defender 110 with stuff

Used the road end of Sept 07 coming back from Morrongulu & Vilanculos. This was after the first week it started raining in SA - where we were it was clear skies and without a radio we did not know about the rain. Therefore we hit this road from the north and it was wet (rained that night as well).

Both Hiluxes towed trailers and it was fun&games. I've got bogged down once but not too serious. If it is not wet the road is good - still a much better option as Maputu.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Thanks guys we will tackle it in December
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Impi. I will hopefully be travelling the Pafuri route on the 15th Dec (depending on the rains), and will be returning via Giryonda on the 3rd. Look out for me on the roads in a Red Disco 1 with trailer in tow. Will be on 29mhz (channel 14) and Vhf 152.6625.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

tomstar Guest

Hi Bruce have you heard of the route from the Phalaborwa gate to Xai Xai then onto Tofu. Can you reccommend a better route. We are leaving from Jhb in the beginning of December.

Hi tomstar,

Yes just after the border turn left to Moamba and follow the road all the way to Xinevane (hope thats spelt correctly). That way you will miss the Maputo section which is always a good thing. It may not be quicker but it will be less frustrating.

(sorry I replied to your other post but I misunderstood the question there)
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Tomstar, depending on your time and very importantly the water level of the Limpopo it will be worth your wile to consider going via Pafuri. Read about this route in other threads in this section.

If you want to do this you will need 1 night, say at Punda Maria, and 2 nights on-route to the EN1 and then night 4 you will be at Tofo.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

tomstar Guest

Hi Willem,
    Thanks for that info but we have limited time so 3 days to Tofo is too long.Do you have any idea how much longer this trip takes via Phalaborwa compared to via Maputo.

tomstar Guest

Thanks Bruce, any idea how much longer using this route compared to via Maputo.

Tomstar, have not done the Palaborwa trip but quessing 1 night Palaborwa/Letaba, 1 night on-route and night 3 Tofo. Maybe someone can help us to confirm if you can go to Tofo from Letaba to reduce to 1 night on-route?
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

We did the Paindane (about an 1.5 hr drive south of Tofo)-Zavora- Phalaborwa road on 16 Nov coming back to SA.All in all i would do the Komatipoort -Maputu road as we did it going there .We had no problems with traffic cops or customs. Just watch your speed in the towns , one of our vehicles got 3 speed fines and our vehicle still got to our destination before him , not going over the speed limits. The Phalaborwa -Massingir road is OK if you want to do the scenic trip and WANT to bypass Maputu ,but if you`r in a hurry, its going to be frustrating. To give you an idea, the car that got the speed fines on our trip there , departed from Xai Xai same time as us on our way home , he got to Middelburg at 16-30 h and we got to Phalaborwa at 18-00 h , so you decide for yourself. Just remember that the border closes at 16-00 h at the Moz side of Kruger , so if you`r doing the return from Tofo , plan to be there in time , I saw nowhere to sleep over there. And to add to this , Make sure you don't attempt the road north of Xai Xai after dark , The potholes are lots and biiig for the next 80 or so km. Enjoy your trip!
    Colt 3L Rodeo
    T4 Syncro
    2.8 Blisterfender
    Syncro Camper -miles of smiles .
    Now a T4 Syncro Caravelle TDI
    BMW 1200 GS-moves my soul
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Klr350
    DRZ400
    My other passion is flying-keeps me sane

Tomster. Yes I have. Take a look at this:
    http://reports.overland.co.za/Bruce_..._Dec_2006.html

So basically if you are in a hurry dont do the Giriyonda (Phalaborwa) route or the Pafuri route.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

The direct route, Moamba to Magude along the eastern side of the Nkomati river has never been as bad as now, they are bringing in stone and "building" an almost impassable road, very harsh on your vehicle. Takes two hours hard driving to cover the 90kms from Moamba to the Magude rail bridge.

The 10kms longer western route rides much better and takes about 100 minutes.