Fuel tank size: 2007 Fortuner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fuel tank size: 2007 Fortuner

Hi fellow Fortuner drivers

I just bought a second hand Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=134100).

I filled up this morning with the gauge sitting on about a quarter tank. I asked the petrol attendant to fill only to the auto stop. I got quite a shock when it auto-stopped on 82 liters (R1007) - especially since the owner handbook states the tank size as 65 liters

Could this mean that a secondary tank has been fitted? I should probably crawl under the vehicle and check... The dealer didn't mention a secondary tank but its possible that he also didn't know.

The newer models have 80 liter tanks don't they?

Thanks

Petrus
    '07 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4
    '12 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - work research vehicle

My 2008 also had a 65l.

Either the pump calibration is way out, or you have a extra tank fitted. If you can see the spare wheel standing behind the tuna, there is a tank above it.
    Francois
    V6 Tuna

I have got a 2008 Fortuner 4.0l V6 with an EXCEL 42 litre extra tank fitted. (Total 108 litres + 2 odd litres (in filler pipe) if filled to the brim).

At a shown left in the tank mine takes approx 80 to 85 litres when filling.

Just check above the spare wheel.....you will see the extra tank and the spare is quite a bit lower than "normal".
    Last edited by Ginger; 2012/12/22 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks, I will have a look in the morning then. About 42 extra liters sounds about right - I guestimated that if there was an extra tank fitted, that would be about the size.

The Tuna has a drop plate fitted for the tow bar, which I am only realizing now might decrease the departure angle , but that's a worry for later - I am just thinking that this maybe obscured the view of the "lower" spare because of a possible extra tank, because the spare wheel hanging low didn't stick in my mind from looking at it thus far...

Seems people don't often mention that they fitted long range tanks when they trade in - my father experienced the same thing when he bought his SRX 2.5 D4D 4x4 secondhand a couple of years ago - got a shock when he filled up the first time and the fuel pump hit 100 liters and was only showing half a tank on his gauge...

This is what mine looks like....lower spare wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mine looks the same. Can't have the V6 without an extra tank....
    Francois
    V6 Tuna

Here is mine, from the side. Also in the lower position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0756.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	185078

Looks like there is a tank above the spare, with some pipes going in and/or out:

Name:	DSCF0758.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	185079

Name:	DSCF0760.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	185080

Name:	DSCF0765.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	185081

By the way - does the extra tank affect your range reading on your trip computer? Mine (range) is reading just under 500 km after my wife drove around in town a bit today - if I am going to get only 500 km on a total of 110 liter of diesel I am giving the car back and buying a V6

I don't trust the trip computer with the extra tank at all. I just set the display to temperature and enjoy the journey.
    Francois
    V6 Tuna

Forget about the range calc on the computer.

The computer's consumption figure is pretty close to my calculated figure.

With a diesel you should get well over a 1000 km per tank on the open road.

My V6 gives me about 800 km if I am not too enthusiastic with the loud pedal while on the open road.

That's what I thought. For me the trip computer is just a nice toy, this is my first car with such a gadget. But I will keep mine more on the average consumption or temperature - they will probably be the more accurate ones.
    I drove with it this morning set on the actual real-time consumption, and driving at a constant speed on a stretch of road it jumped between 9 km/l to 24 km/l, without me changing speed .

By the way, can you please explain how the extra tank works technically - is it under some sort of control so that diesel from the second tank goes into the primary tank (or to the engine) once the primary reaches a certain level, or does it work passively (as diesel goes out the primary the same amount flows in from the extra tank until the extra tank is empty and only then the primary tank starts emptying)? Sorry, my technical knowledge is not great.

It is a passive feed.

Gravity is your friend....the fuel drains from the aux. tank into the main tank via a 6 or 8 mm pipe.

The filler is, as far as I know, an inverted Y section that feeds both tanks...so you don't have to wait for the fuel to drain from the upper to the lower tank through a 6 mm pipe that connects the two tanks.

By the way have a good look at your drop plate...its bent (see your picture) and to me looks rather thin....possibly homemade.

My TRAPEZIUM drop plate is about 20 mm thick.
    Last edited by Ginger; 2012/12/23 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks Denton, will look closely.

Judging by the rust mark this plate is being bent back and forth....enough to make the paint flake off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes i noted that now. Seems bent inwards at the moment. The steel integrity is probably not what its supposed to be now, having been bent back and forth as you said. I am not planning to tow soon anyway so I will just get a replacement plate at some point.

The tow bar is original toyota (see pic), not home made. Or did you mean just the drop plate?

Where is the best plate to get a replacement drop plate? Toyota?

Name:	DSCF0776.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	185187

I was refering to the drop plate....could see that the tow bar was Toyota.

If the drop plate is indeed homemade maybe the incorrect grade of steel was used.

Throw it in the recycle bin!!!

Try Camp World or any caravan supplier for a new drop plate.
    Just bear in mind....Toyota has a odd hole configuration on the tow bar.

Please excuse all the comments but this "outoppie" is very safty conscious.

You might not need a drop plate. Depends on the hight of what you want to tow.
    Francois
    V6 Tuna

Default Fuel tank size: 2007 Fortuner

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    It is a passive feed.
    Gravity is your friend....the fuel drains from the aux. tank into the main tank via a 6 or 8 mm pipe.
    Ginger, surely it's the other way round, fuel drains from the main tank to the aux (extra) tank as the additional tank is lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Ginger, surely it's the other way round, fuel drains from the main tank to the aux (extra) tank as the additional tank is lower?
    Nope.

The aux. tank is mounted higher than the main tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Trossie View Post
    That's what I thought. For me the trip computer is just a nice toy, this is my first car with such a gadget. But I will keep mine more on the average consumption or temperature - they will probably be the more accurate ones.
    I drove with it this morning set on the actual real-time consumption, and driving at a constant speed on a stretch of road it jumped between 9 km/l to 24 km/l, without me changing speed .

By the way, can you please explain how the extra tank works technically - is it under some sort of control so that diesel from the second tank goes into the primary tank (or to the engine) once the primary reaches a certain level, or does it work passively (as diesel goes out the primary the same amount flows in from the extra tank until the extra tank is empty and only then the primary tank starts emptying)? Sorry, my technical knowledge is not great.
    Hi Trossie. I had the same model Fortuner before "upgrading" to the 2011 Facelift Auto. I fitted an extra tank to both the Fortuners. The aux tank will drain first as Ginger mentioned. The km to go reading is only based on the the main tank so I never looked at that. Left it on avg fuel consumption which I found was accurate enough to calculate how much fuel is left over in the tank.

At avg speed of 100km/h I got just over 12km/l. Did a trip from Pretoria to Prince Albert - 1145km and still had about 10lts left. At 120 the fuel consumption increased to 10km/l. This is on the manual, the auto gives me about 0.5km/l less

As for the avg fuel consumption varying between 9 - 24 you will find that even a level stretch of road will have shallow uphills and downhills. If you maintain a specific speed the instant fuel consumption will vary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast