What Offroad Caravan? - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Gnosis, Dave Storm of somewhere in your neck of the woods got his Bush Lapa late last year. I PM'ed his contact details to you. I propose that, should he not be too far from you, you go have a look at his Bush Lapa first.

I can attest to that whatever SMALL issues (there never are any big issues with Bush Lapa) any BL owner I know had, it was sorted out very quickly. In a year's time I've never felt I need a dealership closeby. Whatever I needed (all new developments that I ordered) was always an e-mail or phone call away. I have never experienced after sales service like BL.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Had a Conquror Companion, and switched to a Kavango last year
    Only 's
    Faster to set up and tows miles better!!!!
    Danie Carstens

Moenie die BOER met n mond vol kos kritiseer nie!

Disco 4 SE ( sleep BL 433 )
    Fortuner D4d 4x4
    Pajero Did swb
    Hilux D4d 4x4 xtra cab

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    Ok so I am soon to be in the market for an offroad caravan. It seems ones choice is limited to:

1. Jurgens Xplorer
    2. Conqueror Commander
    3. Echo4x4 Kavango

My criteria is basically that it needs to be capable offroad and have the relevant re-enforcing, as well as accommodate 4 persons/be a 4 berth.

Any other choices?
    Any input as to what is truly the better option?
    I am interested to hear input from anyone who owns any of the above.
    I hope you have seen the April issue of Leisure Wheels. They did a test of all three caravans of your choice. If you have not yet made up your mind, I suggest you read the article
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Gnosis,
    I have Commander, It tows well has got everything I need including geyser and outside shower.Lots of packing space and can sleep 5 easilly.
    My only problem is having to accomodate those matresses when I Travel.
    I have two 105 A/H Batteries installed and have two water tanks 140 litres total and regurarly tows it tanks full as well with no serious effects. Must add I use off-road stabilizer untill real off road situations.
    My two draw backs though
    1) The steel roof gets very hot - no insulation
    2) Their tents are small - they can at least make a plan there.
    Stability no problem.
    I am going to line the roof with these industrial foil sheets that is installed under Sheeting.
    I actually towed at high speeds today of up to 130 km/h with no swaying at all.
    Must add I do not tow at hese speeds normally but had to due some a44holes on the N1 not giving me much space to accomodate traffic from behind so had to make up speed to accomodate traffic.
    Very Happy with my Van.
    Just thought I must mention this.
    After Four Years of heavy use I decided to take my van to Conqueror factory for service.
    Wheel Bearings were changed and the old ones showed with the minutist pit marks and the technician said he takes no chances with wheel bearings. I replaced the coil springs as well asit became a bit unstable under serious cross winds.
    What was done at no charge though were the following:
    All Shock Mountings and Strap Mountings were taken off and replaced with up graded thicker ones.
    The Hub Bolts were replaced with 10.2 Grade Bolts.
    New wider straps were fitted.
    Very Good Service recieved.

Default Leisure Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
    Kavango a good choice. Check out this months Leisure Wheels - they ran a test between the Echo / Conquerer and the Jurgens Safari - interesting reading. Remember the Echo fits into your standard garage and tows like a dream. Only thing that is debatable is the awning...
    Every body for the selves, but if you ask me, I will not buy a Off-road Caravan because it fits in my garage and tows like a dream on TAR roads. I would like to know when I'm a 1000km from home in the bush that the Caravan will perform like a true 4x4 Caravan.
    That's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback View Post
    Every body for the selves, but if you ask me, I will not buy a Off-road Caravan because it fits in my garage and tows like a dream on TAR roads. I would like to know when I'm a 1000km from home in the bush that the Caravan will perform like a true 4x4 Caravan.
    That's just my opinion.
    The Echo will perform like a true 4x4 caravan, but it can also fit in your garage and it tows like a dream, anywhere. Been there, done that!

2016 Ford Ranger 4x4 Auto
    2010 Mitshubishi Pajero SWB - Sold
    2015 Toyota Fortuner Epic 4x4 Auto
    2014 Echo Kavango

" A meal without wine is called breakfast"

Does anybody know anything about the Gecko Offroad? http://www.gecko-offroad.co.za/

I have studied the three brands mentioned in depth for the last 3 months before I purchased and yes it comes back to personal preference. There are some things on each of the brands I liked but settled for the Commander as an all round package for my need. I have purchased mine quite recently and only went out with it once and so far so good. The article in leisure wheels did have some influence though...

During my research I have seen that the market is extremely competitive and all three of the major brands are excellent. The one thing though that can be make or break a product is poor after sales service... In fact, a mediocre product will do extremely well with excellent after sales service.

My 2 cents....

Neels Muller - 2013 Ranger Wildtrak 4x2 - 2007 Conqueror Commander - 1999 Boxster
    Neels, Natasja, Neels jnr & Anke

Camping Rookies
    2015 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    2014 Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Triton 3,2l View Post
    Does anybody know anything about the Gecko Offroad? http://www.gecko-offroad.co.za/
    I have just had a look at this. If I designed a van it would have this exact layout inside. I think it is fantastic. I really like the fact that you do NOT have to climb over your partner to get in and out the bed. The toilet area is actually functional.

I am glad we are getting more and more competition ths is good for us consumers.
    Jeep, there is only one.

I own a Kavango and think it is the best.

I like the Gecko, looks very nice, excellent layout, price a bit steep.

andre` Guest

A friend did a Namibia trip a month ago as part of a group with off road caravans. He had done a lot of mods to his Commander because of problems experienced on previous trips and had a faultless trip. I would never buy one because of bad aftersales service and the clowns in Heidelberg trying to b......t their customers ( I have proof, so no arguments, please).

The Explorer fell apart - no other words for it. They had to repair it daily.

For myself, I would only look at the Bushlapa. I saw one in Swaziland for the first time during the Easter weekend and can understand why there is such a long waiting list.

A Kavango with pull out shower. I LOVE mine

Default Gecko Xtreme

AS the previous thread on the Gecko was in 2009 I would like comments from anyone who owns/owned one. Is it as good as it looks? I am interested in the Gecko Extreme. Rudie van Zyl

Default What kind of off road caravan?

We bought a second hand Jurgens Xcape last year and really enjoy our little 'podok'. Have done quite a few mountain passes and off road trails with it and find it an easy tow, quick to set up camp and comparatively light to handle.

Also very happy with our Xcape

Buks

Quote Originally Posted by andre` View Post
    A friend did a Namibia trip a month ago as part of a group with off road caravans. He had done a lot of mods to his Commander because of problems experienced on previous trips and had a faultless trip. I would never buy one because of bad aftersales service and the clowns in Heidelberg trying to b......t their customers ( I have proof, so no arguments, please).

The Explorer fell apart - no other words for it. They had to repair it daily.

For myself, I would only look at the Bushlapa. I saw one in Swaziland for the first time during the Easter weekend and can understand why there is such a long waiting list.
    My experience with the Xplorer is quite different. I have just returned from a 2 week 6000km trip up to Sesriem, Namibia. I travelled vast distances on dirt roads from Aus to Sesriem and back. Some of the dirt road was good, some ok and some bad. I towed as fast as the road would allow and sometimes may have towed a bit too fast for the surface. The Xplorer jumped and shook and danced but stayed in one piece. Not a single issue except the fridge's hella plug that jumped out the socket at one point but no harm - we picked this up quickly. In my experience Xplorers certainly do not just fall apart. I do not have any experience with any of the other vans (and have not seen the April Leisure Wheels shoot out out - maybe someone can post the article here ) but from personal experience, I think an Xplorer can handle the rough stuff as good as any of the others. And setting up within 10 minutes - what a breeze.
    2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 TX
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser VX100 4.2TD
    2009 Jurgens Xplorer Anniversary Ed No.144

Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    My experience with the Xplorer is quite different. I have just returned from a 2 week 6000km trip up to Sesriem, Namibia. I travelled vast distances on dirt roads from Aus to Sesriem and back. Some of the dirt road was good, some ok and some bad. I towed as fast as the road would allow and sometimes may have towed a bit too fast for the surface. The Xplorer jumped and shook and danced but stayed in one piece. Not a single issue except the fridge's hella plug that jumped out the socket at one point but no harm - we picked this up quickly. In my experience Xplorers certainly do not just fall apart. I do not have any experience with any of the other vans (and have not seen the April Leisure Wheels shoot out out - maybe someone can post the article here ) but from personal experience, I think an Xplorer can handle the rough stuff as good as any of the others. And setting up within 10 minutes - what a breeze.
    Ditto......
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Ditto......
    Ditto Ditto

CATS

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

I decided on the Kavango after looking at all the mjor ones available. Decision based on teh following:

1. Fibreglas, no woodrot (had major issues with late model caravan)
    2. Setup time
    3. Liked the conquerer but did not like all teh sharp steel edges / corners
    4. Towed all three and Kavango felt most stable, including stretch of bad dirt road
    5. Space inside for those rainy days, U-Shape seeting with space

Things I did not like:
    1. Awning, replaced
    2. Latches on roof, replaced
    3. The gap to get into teh front fold-out bed can be an issue for larger / older people.

In the end it is personal choice, but to date not one days issue with the Kavango.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast