Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

It is really up to personal taste because all of the ones you mentioned are good:
    Friend has an explorer and happy as a pig in mud, you will hear stories about wooden doors going loose etc - he had no such problems
    We have Conqueror Commander with a few mods, overall happy and no serious complaints. By that I mean aftersale service sometimes requires encouragement. Rust can be treated and the finishing is by far not as neat as the explorer.
    With both the Conqueror and Explorer you may find towing it with the Amarok challenging because of the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JK Kruger View Post
    With both the Conqueror and Explorer you may find towing it with the Amarok challenging because of the weight.

Why? The Amarok tows my Companion far better than my Pajero!

And his Touareg won't even feel it!
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

We have the Jurgens Xcape, because we did not need a 4-berth. We settled on the Jurgens for the same reasons as mentioned before, dealerships, availability, etc. Another reason was hearing stories of rust and less than perfect build quality on the Conqueror vans. It was just hearsay, but where there's smoke, there's fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You haven't looked hard enough! Missing a shower and toilet
    I have a shower and gas geyser . The wife refuses to get a toilet . Even when going to way out places, you still have both of these 90% of the time. I prefer to keep it simple...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Michael Louw (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I have a shower and gas geyser . The wife refuses to get a toilet . Even when going to way out places, you still have both of these 90% of the time. I prefer to keep it simple...

Michael, just curiosity - have you ever been to Mana Pools or Marienfluss?
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Mana Pools in 2014...... Ons is 'n maand lank deur Botswana sonder toilet....net 'n graaf..... Moes maar knyp deur die nag.....

Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Watching this. Keep the good advice coming. Thanks.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Apparently quite a few build quality probs with the Imagine Trailvan and living in PE far from Gideon isa problem thats why Bushlapa Boskriek will be our choice when we go ahead with 4x4 and camper. The new Invader looks tops as well ..You can always erect a shoer utside..I find they take up too much space inside...Cant have any Conqueror product in PE...RUST

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    You can always erect a shower outside..I find they take up too much space inside...
    This is how I see it too but I understand that it is a case of different strokes for different folks. We try to avoid the spots that draws crowds and even with camping just short of 60 days this year and 66 days planned for 2013, only a hand full has either no facilities or the kind you would rather not use. To have a built in shower that you use all the time means carting around a van with full water tanks most of the time. I only fill the tank on the BL if I know I'm possibly going to a place where there might be issues with water and shower facilities. I takes about 2 min to set up my gas geyser and shower.

Personally I prefer the light weight, tuff no nonsense rust resistant Bush Lapa product and the fact that I can camp without 220v power for as long as I like. Lets face it, all the vans mentioned here are great. You just need to pick the one that works for you...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

I have a Xplorer for many years now and have used it off road. Kgalagadi corrugations, Mabua sand dunes, Baviaanskloof, Richtersveld, Tankwa karoo, Drakensberg, Sederberg , small part of Transkei unfortunately, various parts of Botswana and Namibia. Point is I have been everywhere!

It has lasted all these years. Yes I did initially have a few cupboard doors fall off, but better screws sorted this and I believe the new vans come out with a better system as well lately. I also had to strengthen the chassis recently after I added underfloor water tank, but that was not original. The beauty is that Jurgens seem to incorporate what they learn from their customers in each newer version.

It is also great to have dealers countrywide should a tentpole bend or whatever.

Can't go wrong with the Xplorer!

CATS

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Apparently quite a few build quality probs with the Imagine Trailvan and living in PE far from Gideon isa problem thats why Bushlapa Boskriek will be our choice when we go ahead with 4x4 and camper. The new Invader looks tops as well ..You can always erect a shoer utside..I find they take up too much space inside...Cant have any Conqueror product in PE...RUST
    That's why we ended up with a Miskruier. Living a stone throws distance from the beach in Cape Town, it was important to us that the caravan won't rust away before our eyes!

We have also been to the Kgalagadi, Mabuasuhube, Kutse and various other parts of Botswana and the Cederberg and I know Jannie has been to the northern parts of Namibia, including the Kaokoland and the dreaded Van Zyl's pass, without any issues!

Recently we sold our Miskruier, as to replace it for a Boskriek, which suited our needs better being a 3 berth and our daughter only being 8 years old. We got our money back+, being nearly a year old, indicating the huge demand for and quality of the product.

We have a porta-potty and a shower similar to Michaels, with a Howling Moon shower cubicle, big enough to accommodate both and it's pitched next to the caravan and saves hugely on weight. The additional cost, weight and size penalties, nearly 50k and 160 kg did not warrant us having the shower and toilet on board. (Different strokes for different folks of course)

Jannie has delivered his product personally in some cases, to lands far and wide, and is very accommodating! Talk to the man!
    Last edited by aviator609; 2012/12/19 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Additional text

Despite everything that's been said about toilets and showers, the one thing that will swing my vote to Bushlapa one day, might be the awening that works like an Ostrich awening

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    Thanks Krebs...

Papa - any rust and leak issues with the Companion?
    Daryl, as per Michael no rust whatsoever, have done a couple of stints at the sea for approximate 2 weeks at a time. As for leaks, did have a few along the seams at the very beginning. Seems like the seams where not sealed too well, if at all in the first place. Was quickly and efficiently sorted out by Conqueror midrand.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Overlander
    2014 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 D
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

What ever you do dont get an Imagine......I have personally seen them fall apart on dirt roads - literally had to pick pieces up meanwhile the Jurgens products (2 different models) did not have one issue on the same road......great concept but very weak and badly built. Great for trips around Kruger where there are good smooth roads (mostly) I think.

My choice around 4 months ago was to replace my 2002 Xplorer with a late 2006 Xplorer. I could find nothing else on the market to match and I looked at them all. It is the strongest out of the lot with the most comfortable bed, easiest to setup and not as heavy as everyone makes out. Jurgens also quote the correct weights unlike some other manufactures that quote weights excluding wheels etc etc. We had an Xcape but the bed was too short for me so it lasted one weekend.

If the Xplorer was not available and I had to buy a caravan then my 2nd choice would be the Conqueror but they have some really stupid designs like velcro doors on cupboards that eventually will wear out and cant be opened without waking up the entire campsite and stupid little catches to keep things like the drawers closed, and elastic bands to hold the shelves up - the shelves eventually rub their powder coating. They also rust and are a PITA to set up and have the worst bed out of the lot.

P.s. I have just lent my Xplorer to a friend who has experience in towing the Conqueror Comando. He said he could not tell the difference between the two weight wise when towing but he says he thinks the Xplorer tows much better as it does not rock from side to side.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2012/12/19 at 12:22 PM.

Default ??

" If the Xplorer was not available and I had to buy a caravan then my 2nd choice would be the Conqueror but they have some really stupid designs like velcro doors on cupboards that eventually will wear out and cant be opened without waking up the entire campsite and stupid little catches to keep things like the drawers closed, and elastic bands to hold the shelves up - the shelves eventually rub their powder coating. They also rust and are a PITA to set up and have the worst bed out of the lot."

Bruce stick to the Jurgens - I don't know where you got this info from?? mine doesn't rust, my bed is the best out of the lot (front and back), "stupid little latches" have lasted since 2008 and still going strong, shelves on elastic bands - don't know where...I don't have them, velcro wear out.....that'll be a first as I don't live in mine, but I can tell you my "doors" on the cupboards has never fallen off on a rough road! Oh...and easy to set up - depending on your length of stay!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    What ever you do dont get an Imagine......I have personally seen them fall apart on dirt roads - literally had to pick pieces........
    This is a terrible statement to make Do you perhaps have any pics to substanciate what you're saying. We have an Imagine Trailvan that had already done more the 35000km of some of the worst roads you can think of travelling and our van is still in ONE piece!!

Maybe that Trailvan was abused somewhere else and just happen to drop someting on that road.... Jy weet wat hulle sÍ van met genoeg geweld.....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    This is a terrible statement to make Do you perhaps have any pics to substanciate what you're saying. We have an Imagine Trailvan that had already done more the 35000km of some of the worst roads you can think of travelling and our van is still in ONE piece!!
    I dont have but I will ask a friend of mine who was on the same trip who may have some. Just out of interest I considered this as my first choice to replace my original Xplorer.

Benphala, In August of this year we hired one to go to Kubu, it was apparently a 2012 model - i dont know. We did this as we were considering it over another Xplorer..... I experienced all that I complained about on that one. The problem with the bed is the mattress makes you sweat like crazy, and is very thin. Granted it is nice and wide but very short - also a pain to leopard crawl into bed if sleeping in the nose bed. Also the mattress's kept moving apart so you ended up with uncomfortable gaps.
    The rust was everywhere, where the powder coating had come off for some reason, either from rubbing or stone chips. The elastic black thing was to keep the shelf up in the kitchen. Oh and the back door is terrible and a pain to close from inside. The silver twist clips for the drawers could have been designed better and one did not even work on the van we had.

My apologies, i have just been corrected we did not use the Commander we use the Companion. Sorry.

I havent had any cupboards fall off any of the Jurgens products i have owned so can not comment on this. I did initially think the Conquerors cupboard doors were brilliant until actually using them, but velcro does wear out and instead of using the cheap hook and loop system they could have used the "mushroom" verlcro. Would have cost a bit more but would last for ever.

Sorry this is not meant to be insulting to anyone. I am just expressing what I have experienced.
    One thing that does irritate me about the Xplorer though is the cheap plastic tap on the kitchen and bathroom. When the water has frozen it does break very easily as its made of cheap plastic. The Conqueror had a far better (metal) tap..... oh and the stove on the Conqeror is also much better although it needs to be plugged in before it can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Maybe that Trailvan was abused somewhere else and just happen to drop someting on that road.... Jy weet wat hulle sÍ van met genoeg geweld.....
    Very possible

Karel (I think he is on the forum) did Van Zyl's with the Comfortvan, as he was one of the guys I asked when I was shopping around. Didn't have any problems at all. Done over 15 000km with his.

I've seen a G-wagon break down on the N1.. So I guess it's possible with anything to fall apart.
    2014 Fortuner D4-D 4x4
    1997 TJ Wrangler, 3.0 V6, Iron Man 2.5" lift, 33" Goodyear AT/SA, Rock sliders, Free-flow sports exhaust.

"I took the road less travelled, and it made all the difference.." Robert Frost

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast