Go Fly a Kite?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Go Fly a Kite?

Default Go Fly a Kite?

I have read through the posts and share some of the hobbies with you guys. It does not seem as if anybody flies kites anymore. Not the stuff that you buy at a toy store but the real deal parafoils big parafoil kites.
    There is nothing like the pull of a potent kite on the harness lifting you off your feet and dropping you a couple of meters further. I have dived with great whites and this does not come close to the exhilaration of a big kite in a strong wind. as an added bonus offcuts of the kite material make a good fishing kite able to withstand the strain of quite a few big "tannemanne".
    I know a lot of guys are going to say this is an expensive hobby but like any hobby if you use your nut and make your own it is not at all expensive. All it needs is a few pieces of ripstop, a couple of meters of dacron fishing line and some time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Hi Hbannik

It's one ouf our hobbies also, but we don't do it as much as we want to. Here's some pics of when we went to st Lucia on the beach. The wind was lekker strong and we had so much fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020235.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	10012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020241.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	10013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020245.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	10014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020234.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	10015  

im also into this, parafoils, they lekker for the kite cars.
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

I've been threatening for more than 3 years to get one, usually this time of the year, but have never followed through for some reason! There are at least two suppliers in PE, one a client of ours (www.kites.co.za).

Watching the okes in the beach with the kite is great fun, and we have to wind here too!

Dirk,

Jy sal 'n kite so geniet. Julle in die Baai het mos lekker wind. Vir onder R500 kan jy 'n lekker kite kry en dis iets wat die hele familie geniet

Ons seuns geniet dit net so baie soos ek en Pieter.

Maak 'n plan nog hierdie maand!!

Groete

Thumbs up

If you folks are interested here is a link for the download of a program to design your own foils http://www.surfplan.com.au/sp/ this is one of those free downloads that should actually be charged for as it really works. I have designed 11 of my own kites on it and all have exceeded my expectations. We prefer flying in Gansbaai as the wind there is pretty hectic at times and we get a lot of air time just have to be careful as we fly about 800m from the guys on the shark boats and if we get ripped out to sea it can be a sticky situation.
    Henk
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Ashley is also a kite fanatic.
    AB
    2004 Clubcab
    The difference between men and boys is the value of their toys.
    Growing older is mandatory, - growing up is optional.

I have a friend that has 3 kites, one has to be inflated by a pump.... that thing is wicked. We normally fly on a Sunday at the sports field in Northcliff.
    "Man is still the greatest miracle and the greatest problem on this earth"

Thumbs up Kites

AB is right , I am a bit of a Kite Nut , although the interest has gone down quite a bit since I got the Ford Ranger. In fact my Avator is one of our Kites called a Blue Meanie, we bought it last year at the Cape Town Kite Festival. Costs more than five new Coopers STT for the Ranger .

We have just had another succesful Cape Town Kite Festival this past weekend. I will post some photo's later. Good to know there are some other Kiters out there.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

We had lovely weather this weekend and as you can see , both my Wife and I were rooting for the Boks. Here are some of the Kites we flew on Saturday.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ashley; 2007/10/22 at 12:06 PM.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

I love kites as well - have one delta, and a parafoil - the nice thing about a kite is that when the weather turns bad (especially at the coast), you can take out the kite and have heaps of fun.

The parafoil is the easiest to keep in your car all the time because it folds up into a small bag, but the delta have those long carbon fibre rods that makes it a bit cumbersome to pack.

The delta flies more accurately, but the parafoil PULLS!
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

Ash my Cous I always knew you where high but on kites He,heee. Looks cool Cous. Maybe we should share a moment with my parafoils if I can find them around the house somewheres. Gosh I almost killed myself at Struisbaai a few years back. Warning do not fly this kite in winds over 15KPH Ja,right. 45PKH should be FFIIINNNEEEEE and out to sea at 10 feet off the ground. Came down hard on mother earth but was dragged close to 100M out into shark infested water. Guess the smell of whiskey (Johnny Blue) put the critters off. Meat was to well marinaded, he,heeee
    Morton the " BEAST " Berg
    3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16”rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Hi Mort

Sorry missed this post, kites have taken a few steps back in priortiy since I bought the 4x4 , but had a lekker fly today , nothing better than seeing the joy on the laaities faces when we put those monsters into the sky. I used to be into the stunt kite scene but have toned down a lot. Expensive hobby almost as bad as this one, 4x4 ing that is.

I see Cederberg organised a Fly day yesterday , I hope it was a sucess , the way the South Easter was pumping they might have ended up on Robben Island.

Maybe we can have a fly at Atlantis sometime, I have got more than enough kites to have a festival on my own.
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Hi Mort

Sorry missed this post, kites have taken a few steps back in priortiy since I bought the 4x4 , but had a lekker fly today , nothing better than seeing the joy on the laaities faces when we put those monsters into the sky. I used to be into the stunt kite scene but have toned down a lot. Expensive hobby almost as bad as this one, 4x4 ing that is.

I see Cederberg organised a Fly day yesterday , I hope it was a sucess , the way the South Easter was pumping they might have ended up on Robben Island.

Maybe we can have a fly at Atlantis sometime, I have got more than enough kites to have a festival on my own.
    Maybe I should take my stunt kite on Sunday... haven't flown it for ages....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I'm also into kites, but for kitesurfing. I've got a foil (a 12m2 high aspect ratio) and two inflatables, a 10m2 and a 7m2. I used to sail competitively, but since I started kiteboarding I just don't seem to have the time to sail anymore. If there is wind I would rather be doing 30 knots than 15! Also with kiting it is much easier to travel with your gear. With my girlfriend and I, two kites, two boards, wetsuits, harnesses, etc. and all our luggage we still weigh in at 20kg each, baggage wise. If you guys are interested in the latest foil kite technology, you should check out the new Psycho 4 from Flysurfer. It is pretty awesome. I have one arriving on 23 August, I can't wait!

Another (wannabe) kitesurfer here. Still need to get on the board , but have finished my kite flying training. The power in these kites are just SCARY Got a 12m2 Cabrina Crossbow bowkite ( S.B.U.). Where is the wind this year? It's August for crying out load !

Wrong place Vlakkie, come to PE, always wind here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Wrong place Vlakkie, come to PE, always wind here!
    Point of the exercise is NOT to end up in Australia
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

I have 6 Kites. Big foils. My biggest is a walland air that is 6.3m x 2.3 m and is capable of towing a car on the beach with high wind. I have often broken my lines of 320kg each. Might sell the lot as im not using it and its too big for the laaitie. Good fun but gut ruffled up a few times. Ill dig pics out
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Vlakkie, you wanted wind, it is here, Wednesday - Monday should be awesome! I am taking Wednesday and Thursday off and hitting the Vaal. Do some work on Friday, some other stuff on Saturday, and then another session on Sunday. This is the first decent wind we have had inland all year, gotta make the most of this opportunity.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast