Current road conditions etc CKGR/Makgadikgadi/Nxai

Default Current road conditions etc CKGR/Makgadikgadi/Nxai

Hi,
    We are leaving next Friday for a 10d trip into CKGR/Mak/Nxai - 2 nights Kori, 3 nights Sunday Pan, 2 nights Khumaga, 2 nights Nxai south.

has anyone been there recently to know how much rain there has been and what the roads are like? We have 3 vehicles.

We are planning to take the cutline route to Matswere rather than go via Rakops as from what I have seen, the cutline road is better during the rains.

Is the ferry running at Khumaga and does anyone have the current cost?
    We are planning to drive in through Khumaga and out to Nxai pan via the northern entrance gate of Makgadikgadi NP - any opinions/advice on the route through the park?

Is the water at Khumaga and Nxai south camps drinkable? i know the matswere water has a very high arsenic concentration.

If anyone is there at the time, look out for us - we will be the idiot Zimbabweans with no winches!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!!

There is only one idiot in Zimbabwe,and that is not you.

Quote Originally Posted by kk1981vet View Post
    Hi,
    We are leaving next Friday for a 10d trip into CKGR/Mak/Nxai - 2 nights Kori, 3 nights Sunday Pan, 2 nights Khumaga, 2 nights Nxai south.

has anyone been there recently to know how much rain there has been and what the roads are like? We have 3 vehicles. Do not know what the roads are like now but I doubt that so much rain has fallen to turn it into mud

We are planning to take the cutline route to Matswere rather than go via Rakops as from what I have seen, the cutline road is better during the rains. Other than the fact that going from Matswere to Khumaga via the cutline it a mother of a detour, you will have nowhere to refuel. The only town you pass close by is Motopi and there is no filling station. You will need fuel before Nxai pan and Gweta is also notoriously unreliable. Unless it really comes down in buckets the track from Matswere is do-able, in fact it is sandier than the track from Deception to the gate.

Is the ferry running at Khumaga and does anyone have the current cost?I don't know if the ferry is running but the owner is David , his no is +267 713 037 31. Cost in April was P120 for the vehicle and P50 for the trailer
    We are planning to drive in through Khumaga and out to Nxai pan via the northern entrance gate of Makgadikgadi NP - any opinions/advice on the route through the park?Ok there a 2 entrance gates in the north of Makgadi pans. To reach Phududu gate you drive slighty north west from Khumaga all along the river. But be warned this is the thickest sand I have seen in a long time, equivalent to the notorious Savuti Linyanti track. The 60 km's will take you much more than 3 hours. The other track to the older gate runs sligthy north east from Khumaga. It is longer but a harder surface and will be much quicker and better for fuel consumption

Is the water at Khumaga and Nxai south camps drinkable? i know the matswere water has a very high arsenic concentration.Yes all the water CKGR is completely undrinkable. Khumaga is borehole water, it is drinkable but have a slight green tint to it. Nxai pan I don't know.

If anyone is there at the time, look out for us - we will be the idiot Zimbabweans with no winches!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!!
    Hope it helps
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Many thanks for the advice!
    apologies though for not being more clear about our route! we will be travelling to the CKGR from Maun, hence i thought the cutline route along the vet fence would be a shorter (and better route). we will have long range tanks and extra jerry cans - hoping this will be sufficient?
    After leaving the CKGR, we will take the Rakops route to get to Khumaga then out through the older gate on the northern border (not Phududu gate).
    Thanks again!

Ok, no that makes sense From Maun the cutline to Matswere is the obvious choice. But you might have a problem with your red meat. West to east is out. You do cross the vet fence but I am not sure if there are gates. At Kuke corner there is a gate but don't know if it is manned.

Jerry cans and longe range tanks should be sufficient unless you have a very thirsty petrol But check for fuel in Rakops anyway. One can never have too much.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943
    Ok there a 2 entrance gates in the north of Makgadi pans. To reach Phududu gate you drive slighty north west from Khumaga all along the river. But be warned this is the thickest sand I have seen in a long time, equivalent to the notorious Savuti Linyanti track. The 60 km's will take you much more than 3 hours. The other track to the older gate runs sligthy north east from Khumaga. It is longer but a harder surface and will be much quicker and better for fuel consumption
    Please could someone clarify and advise (am slightly confused by above statement, but think it refers to the track highlighted as being the best option)...

1) As per tracks below, which is the best route to follow from Matswere to Nxai Pans? Our plans have been to take the ferry at Khumaga, and then head north as per the route shown in map. Is this option best? We will be travelling from Kori to Nxai on that day, plus ferry, plus planned stop at Baine's, so don't have too much time to spare.

2) As per T4A our travelling time should be approx: 7h:30 Is this realistic? (excludes refuel at Rakops and any time spent at Bain's)

3) Does anyone know whether the ferry at Khumaga is currently operational, and the practicalities of having to exit early (as per other reports) and do a bit of "water"? I have tried calling the ferry by phone, on both numbers I have, but telcom reply is "person not available".

Eck, I know it is a T4A map but I don't agree with it. I think it might indicate the village of Phududu not Phududu gate. Phududu gate is about 10 km from where the tar road past Mopipi joins the main road. As I said in my post which you quoted, the track from Khumaga to Phududu runs slighty north west along the river past Mena A Kwena Lodge but inside the park.

We could not find the track that you highlighted running from Khumaga across the park to the northern border. I think it is totally disused and overgrown like many tracks in Makgadi NP.

To be completely honest with you I don't think Kori to Nxai pans via Khumaga and through the Park is do-able in a day neither is it worth it. We saw very very little game in the Makgadi NP last year. I would rather head to Nxai pan with the fastest easiest route possible, which will be the tar via Motopi and then right on the Maun - Gweta road.

lekhubu943, many thanks for your detailed reply. It's gratefully received.

Interesting on the T4A...

I think we'll probably just follow your advice - head straight to Nxai (using the western route rather than Khumaga ferry), and then perhaps visit Baines as an afternoon outing while at Nxai. We have a few nights there.

Cheers

Eck, if you go around on the tar, still do yourself a favour and turn off at Khumaga village and have a look at the Boteti. It is less than 3 km from the tar road and clearly sign posted saying Makgadigadi National Park.

It is a great treat to see the Boteti flowing, for how long no-one knows. Take us some pics, I would love to see the level now.

Will do - of course!
    Must admit will be a bit sad to be missing the Boteti 'crossing' but we exchanged Khumaga for an extra day at Kori in CKGR, leaving us with a bit of a journey to get to Nxai that day...but I'm sure it will be a great lunch stop nevertheless. Thanks again for your advice!

Eck,

If you plan to use the Khumaga ferry and the drive through Makgadikgadi as an access to Nxai you don't do yourselves a favour.
    The route along the Boteti is scenic enough, albeit sandy to merrit some hours to explore. If you are in a hurry, stay on tar and take the long way round, it's shorter timewise but boring drive.

If you have flexibility with the planning, skip a day at Nxai and rest at Khumaga (SKL camp) then you have the best of both worlds.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thanks Kalahari Safari,

We were originally intending to stay at Khumaga but changed it (now final and paid for) in favour of an extra night at Kori, where we'll be on the night of full moon.

I take it you are referring to the sandy road not marked in colour below - along the Boteti. We'll leave that for another time, and will likely stick to the tar road (in blue), simply to save time. It'll be a fairly long day in the saddle as it is. Thanks anyway for the advice, all noted.

Yeah, better option if under time pressure.
    Full moon at Kori - wow!
    Hope you bring some pic's, don't forget the tripod then.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Have just done some of the pans - east of your route. Dry. But you're doing tar anyway via Motopi/Phuduhudu
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP