Jurgens Xplorer Questions (Again....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jurgens Xplorer Questions (Again....)

After much deliberation, we fetched our brand new secondhand 2008 Xplorer from Comet last week.

Spent most of Saturday erecting tents etc., even getting stuck out on the lawn during a thunderstorm (luckily I put a 6 pack in the fridge to test it...)

The questions I have for the Xplorer experts here are:

1. What do you use as a floor in the shower tent ? (did not get any groundsheets with the van)

2. How do you keep rain from coming in through the awning either side of the PVC bag where it is attached to the caravan?

3. The caravan came fitted with a tow bar, I plan to use this to fit a bicycle rack for 4 mountain bikes (2 adult & 2 kids at this stage), which rack would you recommend ?

4. As the nose is pretty heavy, would it make sense to tow with water in the tank to counter balance the front, or rather save the weight altogether (assuming water available at destination of course)

5. Install a charging system on the Pajero, or rather invest in solar panels, and connect these to the Brad Harrison when set-up?

Hi Gentoo,

I can only really respond to your last question. I have a 2009 Xplorer.

Installed 2 x deep cylcel batteries, use the car to charge via Brad Harrison connection whilst driving. Going to upgrade this to thicker cables and large Brad Harrison. Use 2 x 80 watt solar pannels with Stecca Controller when at camp site.

Thinking of going to one deep cycle battery and a 1 x 130 watt pannel to reduce weight.

Oh and to your question on nose weight, I do half fill the water tank and then top up at last stop where water is available to top up before arriving at final destination.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Neville,

My thinking is to rather get a 130A panel with a voltage regulator, and to then feed this into the standard Brad Harrison charge connector on the Xplorer.

We will more likely set up camp for a few days at a time, rather than constantly driving, so a charging system on the tow vehicle wouldn't make sense (to me anyway)

So the question should really be whether to connect to the existing Jurgens system, or to use a solar controller connected directly to the battery. I haven't looked properly yet, but I suspect the charge connector at the tow hitch is just connected directly to the battery anyway.

Hi Gentoo,

I would not receommend taking the panel straight to the existing Xplorer Brad Harrison plug. Or if you do you would need a solar controller in between to ensure you do not overcharge the battries.

I ran seperate cables from the front of the van to the batteries for Solar and and have the existing ones for charging from the car. I then have a Stecca controller inside the van next to the batteries to control Solar charging etc.

I think your choice of a sinlge 130 w pannel is a good one and that's what I will be doing for our next trip. 2X 80w is a hassel and too heavy.

However ran with the 2 pannels etc for 2 weeeks in Zim and Bots in Aug with the 90lt Lunar ( I have the twin). Worked like a dream. Also fitted LED's in the van. Much lighter on current than the exisitng flourecents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    After much deliberation, we fetched our brand new secondhand 2008 Xplorer from Comet last week.

Spent most of Saturday erecting tents etc., even getting stuck out on the lawn during a thunderstorm (luckily I put a 6 pack in the fridge to test it...)

1. What do you use as a floor in the shower tent ? (did not get any groundsheets with the van)

2. How do you keep rain from coming in through the awning either side of the PVC bag where it is attached to the caravan?

3. The caravan came fitted with a tow bar, I plan to use this to fit a bicycle rack for 4 mountain bikes (2 adult & 2 kids at this stage), which rack would you recommend ?

4. As the nose is pretty heavy, would it make sense to tow with water in the tank to counter balance the front, or rather save the weight altogether (assuming water available at destination of course)

5. Install a charging system on the Pajero, or rather invest in solar panels, and connect these to the Brad Harrison when set-up?
    Hi Gentoo
    With regards to your first question we bought 2 rubber mats which covers 80% of the floor in the shower cubicle. It has holes in it to let water through so your feet stay clean. When we drive we put these mats on the front bed which gives us a nice "anti skid" base to pack some of the lighter items there. Works well for us.

As far as keeping rain out either side of the bag that would hold the awning - have a good look at the top of the bag and the awning when the awning is extended. You will see a small velcro flap which sits closed against the top of the bag - when you pull the velcro free this flaps covers this hole nicely once you attach the velcro to the top of the open awning where it attaches to the bag. Hope that makes sense??

Regards
    Andre

Discovery 4 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Nearly thought you bought my caravan but mine did not have a tow bar sold it there 1month ago
    Corne

Default Practice...

My advice..., with practice youll find the right answer to everything.
    1. I used a double folded 80% shade cloth. Lets water out without the sand and mud coming in. Stiched rope on for basically sealing against caravan in pull through mechanism where the tent skirt fits... Velcro bottom of the side walls to the shade cloth. Additional plastic gym tiles with holes for camping long times...
    2. Agree with Herbie about the velcro straps.
    3. ?
    4. I would not travel with any water in the tanks at all and only fill up at last possible moment before going bos. These caravans do not like to be overloaded. The design however allows for a heavy nose. We've tried to balance the nose to a manageable 80kg but then you really have a uncontrollable van. It feels much better in tow with a heavier nose. Rather upgrade towing ball, and try to distribute tents and other heavy loose items balanced. I must add, it becomes unstable when towing with a "light" vehicle. The F250 does not know about it. Lastly be carefull of half full tanks as water may move and cause swaying in turns.( or make sure your tank has decent buffers)
    5. Have to have the charging system on your vehicle. The solar option is nice when youre in the bosse, but this should be a second system, run throuh a regulator, etc. during 5days of bad weather, you still need power. Especially when moving camps or driving far distances over several days. You will need to charge while on the go. I have 3 x 80 watts panels and chrge 2 high cycle batteries. Works like a charm. Pulling 2 80l fridges, lights etcccc. Consider the panels for a later investment.

Hope this helps..
    Gerhard

"Gurts" vir die pelle.

Ford F250 D/C 4x4. Die Trok.
    Merc S600 V12. Die Pltkr.
    LC 200. Die Skip.
    GS Moon. Die Toy.:

Thanks Guys!

I found the little flaps, makes perfect sense now. I also bought some foam tiles with drainage holes in on special at campworld, will put this on top of a shadecloth groundsheet.

The Pajero has OME suspension fitted, only dropped 17mm when I towed the (empty) caravan home back from Comet. Pretty sure the towbar will be strong enough too, so will tow with empty tanks too.

Neville,

I also thought of changing all the fluorescents for LED's, did you buy complete replacement lights or modify the existing housings?

I want to replace the outside lights along with the inside ones.

Congrats on your new (old) holiday home.

1. Firstly tell them you want ground sheets. It is an expensive van. I use a rolled up piece of rubber flooring about 2m long by 1.2 wide. It is a pain for one nights though as it takes time to dry but then i tie it to the roof rack.
    Look here: http://www.rubberproducts.co.za/cate...ubber-flooring ..............its called taxi flooring

2. As mentioned with the velcro

3. check it it is ok to use for 4 mountain bikes. I have seen standard vehicle tow bars break with 4 mountain bikes.

4. I tow with full tanks of water from my house. I then know it is clean. I can not feel the difference between full or an empty tank.

5. Do both then you will never have to worry.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2012/12/12 at 03:43 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Hi Gentoo,

On the LED's so far I have only done the inside lights. Left the original flourcents in place and wired 6 strip LED just below with seperate switch and use LED's as "lights of choice " instead of flourecents.

I have priced the new LED outside lights from Campworld they stunning but expensive and as seen from newer Xplorer's pretty bright ( worry follow campers perhaps? ) so have stuck with the flourecents for outside for now. When one measures via the Stecca the flourecents do not use that many amps. I may go for a 6 - 8 led all wether strtip to replace the outside lights.

Tend to agree with leaving home with a full water tank, have done so a few times and you cannot really notice the diffirence. However on a half full water tank never felt any issues of sway etc. I think the water tank is pretty well designed with baffels etc. However going into Bumbusi in Hwaneg in August with a half full water tank it did dislodge the level indicator plug and we had some water in the van when we got there.

I would also agree with charing the battery from the car, I always like to arrive at camp with 100% charge as you do not know what the cloud cover will be the next day or so.

The other thing I am busy with is replacing the Hella plug for the fridge for a Brad Harison. When pushing the silder in and out I have found the Hella pulls skew and fridge loses power. Drives me nuts!! I think the Brad Harrison will be a fer more secure connection.

Enjoy!
    Overall the we have really enjoyed the Xplorer and pretty sure you will too.

Great idea changing the hella for a Brad Harrison, found the same issue with the fridge plug.

I have already cable tied a short piece of clear plastic hose over the gas hose where it goes into the slide frame, as there are signs of chafing on the gas pipe.

I will investigate the LED option a bit more.

On my old Xplorer I replaced the florescent tubes with two strips of LEDs.

Basically gutted the light and used double sided tape to stick the LEDs to the inside of the light. IIRC there were two lines of 6 or perhaps 8. Lasted 2 years of rough travels and advantage is that it still looked standard. Friend of mine used Red in the Back light and white in the front. Apparently its better for bugs in the bush.......i couldnt tell the difference as we both had many bugs.

I will be doing it to my new (er) van in the new year. Just havent had time yet.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Thought I'd share a few little additions I made to the Xplorer:

1. The tent poles rolling around inside the caravan irritated me, so I put a PVC drain pipe "pole case" on the outside.

2. As the jockey wheel holder on the Al-Ko coupling isn't used, I made a mount for a boat winch to fit there. Used to pull the caravan up a little slope over the lawn out of it's (soon to be constructed) "afdak".

3. This should be standard IMO, the spring steel "wires" that hold the flysheet on the stargazer now has their own space on the nosebox lid, next to the basin stays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121216-00040.jpg 
Views:	1705 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	184459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121216-00041.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	184460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121216-00037.jpg 
Views:	936 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	184461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121216-00038.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	184462  

I like no.3. Very neat.

What tent poles do you have? Mine doesnt have tent poles.

I have a late 2006 without the pop up nose.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I have the extra sidewall set for the awning, this also has a "extended patio" that slides into the awning with 3 poles holding it up in the front. There is also a pole that forms a "ridge" on the awning to stop water from damming up there.

I have the extra sidewall set for the awning, this also has a "extended patio" that slides into the awning with 3 poles holding it up in the front. There is also a pole that forms a "ridge" on the awning to stop water from damming up there.
    Do you have a picture please? I have the side wall set but dont have any extra poles except one for the middle of the awning.

I havent use my side wall set yet as Ive only just upgraded from the old one to the new one around 3 months ago.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I don't have pictures yet, leaving on holiday this Saturday, so will take some photos when all is set up, (I'll have to figure some of it out too, but that's a different kettle of fish...)
    Last edited by Gentoo; 2012/12/18 at 12:07 PM.

hehe....ok thanks. Have a safe trip.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Default Pole case

Hi Gentoo

Can you please tell me where you purchased the pole case? It's not a normal 110mm Marley drain pipe, is it? Can you please tell me what the brand is? I think it's Italian...

Thought I'd share a few little additions I made to the Xplorer:

1. The tent poles rolling around inside the caravan irritated me, so I put a PVC drain pipe "pole case" on the outside.

2. As the jockey wheel holder on the Al-Ko coupling isn't used, I made a mount for a boat winch to fit there. Used to pull the caravan up a little slope over the lawn out of it's (soon to be constructed) "afdak".

3. This should be standard IMO, the spring steel "wires" that hold the flysheet on the stargazer now has their own space on the nosebox lid, next to the basin stays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast