Hummer Club news and Overland Trip - Page 9

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble V View Post

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you,.........
    (just in case I forget) - no wonder I like you - also a "water baby - Aquarian" my b-day weekend is the following 15th - hence our arrangement to go see "Sugar Man" on the 16th.
    If others are OK for 9th or 10th - or is Frozen available for the 3rd ....
    I wll fit in any of those dates
    I'm good for the 3rd
    One Life Live it

Current: Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 HSE

upgrade
    8mm steel bush plate
    Front Runner discreet winch bracket
    T-MAX 9500 winch
    Front Runner roof rack
    Front Runner ladder

Hero : 3.7L 5s H3 Hummer Auto
    upgrades
    T-max winch 9500
    Rancho RX9000 XL shocks
    Rancho Myride
    2nd stage viper exhaust system
    Safari Snorkel
    Front Runner roof rack
    Cooper Discoverer STT

OK - so;

Frozen - good for 3rd or 9th or 10th
    Sennin - good for 3rd (9/10 is B-day weekend) also a long way to come through.
    BV - good for 3rd or 9th or 10th (but not 16th - b-day weekend)
    Blueray - no comment yet
    Zach 1 - no comment yet know it is a long way for you too
    Zach 2 - no comment yet know it is a long way for you too

I would just add that I would be available for 17th if that day suites others better.

I for one need advice on the trip - never done it or anything like it - need advice like;
    1) food to take
    2) Clothing - (Sennin has advised possible sudden drop in temp)
    3) Additional bedding
    4) Towels & so on

I will be taking;
    a) 25Lt of spare fuel (for Justin)
    b) my fridge (way too big for my Hummer back but will try it today and see what plan I can make) even if I have to take out the back seats
    c) my bag of recovery gear (for rivers or puddles )
    d) my compressor
    e) tool box (if there is space after fridge - unless someone else has a fairly comprehensive tool kit)
    f) whatever else I can fit in that is reccommended after/at/before the meeting

So these are basically my questions and hope those that have done it (Frozen7days & Sennin & Blueray) before will have some input - would rather take more than I need than not have it with when it is needed.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux
    2002 Colt DC; - 3,2Lt Triton Conversion - FOR SALE
    Toy's - 2003 Honda Goldwing Trike + Same Bike 2010
    Platkar - 2007 C320 CDI now SWAMBO's

Default Lesotho

Tried reading through some of the freds on Lesotho, those with kids going - hope you have organised passports for them (apparently a requirement).
    Only other advice that I could pick up was that some of the roads are hectic condition 175Km in 10hrs - wow average speed of 17,5Km/Hr .
    So as I said I am basically relying on you that have done it before.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Morning
    you 100% correct you need a passport per child and adult they give you visas at the border post and the cost os R30 per person.

as for the drive from Sani top to Mokhotlong you drive 34km but it will take you 3 hours+ having said that it is the most beautiful drive you will do. it took us longer as we were stopping all the time to take photos, play in the snow and walk to a waterfall.

when we went last year in september in 1 hour we had rain, hail, sleet, snow , sun and it went from -3 deg ontop of the mountain to 18 deg at the bottom so you realy need to pack for winter and summer.
    you will find that you will fall in love with Africa after this trip.
    and do you want to hear a funny thing
    when we get back from our lesotho trip Im going back for the easter weekend but to the other side by semonkong falls for another 4 days
    One Life Live it

upgrade
    8mm steel bush plate
    T-MAX 9500 winch
    Front Runner roof rack
    Front Runner ladder

upgrades
    T-max winch 9500
    Rancho RX9000 XL shocks
    Rancho Myride
    Safari Snorkel
    Front Runner roof rack
    Cooper Discoverer STT

Thanks Frozen

sounds good - Personally I have no objection to stopping for Phodie's - need proof and memory rminders (getting older so memory fades you know)

I need some advance advice;
    will this work;

I know I bought the biggest fridge possible which now with a Hummer has turned out to be a mistake, however it does fit in the back. the recover gear and compressor fit in behind the 25Lt fuel can.

My question is - can I run the fridge on the socket in the rear?
    do not want to burn some wiring - the fridge runs at 2,5Amp on low (parked) or 5Amp on high (driving).
    My alternative plan is;

I have this as a back up - I could run leads through to battery (temorary) so that it keeps charged while driving or else just run the fridge off this while parked or overnight.
    What would the experts advise ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 001 (640x427).jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	191685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 002 (640x427).jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	191686  
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

lol that looks wild.
    when I went last year we took a 1x electric cooler box and 1x 20L jerry can becuase it was so cold we didnt need to run it but we going at a different time of the year this time so I dont know what to expect.
    I personaly think your fridge is huge (go large or go home)
    as for electricity there is non there they put hte generator on at 6 am and it turns off at 8 am and of an evening it comes on at 6pm and turns off at 10pm (sani top )
    chalets in the sky there is no electricity only gas lights,gysers,stoves.

and the most amazing view of the stars
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One Life Live it

upgrade
    8mm steel bush plate
    T-MAX 9500 winch
    Front Runner roof rack
    Front Runner ladder

upgrades
    T-max winch 9500
    Rancho RX9000 XL shocks
    Rancho Myride
    Safari Snorkel
    Front Runner roof rack
    Cooper Discoverer STT

Quote Originally Posted by frozen7days View Post
    lol that looks wild.
    when I went last year we took a 1x electric cooler box and 1x 20L jerry can becuase it was so cold we didnt need to run it but we going at a different time of the year this time so I dont know what to expect.
    I personaly think your fridge is huge (go large or go home)
    as for electricity there is non there they put hte generator on at 6 am and it turns off at 8 am and of an evening it comes on at 6pm and turns off at 10pm (sani top )
    chalets in the sky there is no electricity only gas lights,gysers,stoves.

and the most amazing view of the stars
    YES indeed the fridge is HUGE - too big for a Hummer .

So from what you are saying the connection to car battery is a good idea if I am taking the HUGE fridge (no electricity to charge overnight). At least I will have a cold beer or 2 . I will also have a bit of space for anyone else who needs extra "cold storage".
    Busy with the connection through to the battery......... will let you know.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

YES indeed the fridge is HUGE - too big for a Hummer .

So from what you are saying the connection to car battery is a good idea if I am taking the HUGE fridge (no electricity to charge overnight). At least I will have a cold beer or 2 . I will also have a bit of space for anyone else who needs extra "cold storage".
    Busy with the connection through to the battery......... will let you know.
    Nope, your fridge is just right, you just havent finished your installation . I would create a slide out buttom (the size of the hummer loading area. then you can slide it out and open the fridge, plus pack some small stuff behind the fridge and be able to reach it . I successfully run my fridge of the socket in the back. also draws 5.5 Amp maks. But I disconnect it over night to protect battery of accidental run down of battery (push starting an automatic is haaaard word ) I know Zack has replaced his rear socket wiring with thicker, but he also connects his second battery from there to charge via alternator if I remember correctly
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    Nope, your fridge is just right, you just havent finished your installation . I would create a slide out buttom (the size of the hummer loading area. then you can slide it out and open the fridge, plus pack some small stuff behind the fridge and be able to reach it . I successfully run my fridge of the socket in the back. also draws 5.5 Amp maks. But I disconnect it over night to protect battery of accidental run down of battery (push starting an automatic is haaaard word ) I know Zack has replaced his rear socket wiring with thicker, but he also connects his second battery from there to charge via alternator if I remember correctly
    Thank Sennin - yeh I agree a slide out tray would be 1st prize with such a huge fridge.
    I have this standby / auxillary battery - it fits very snugly behind my seat and when I am in correct drive position the battery is simply supported nice (not squashed nor loose). I ran the cable to trhe batteryand have connected - my fridge is running on the Aux battery. This installation is TEMPORARY. Just to see how it all works.

the battery snug as bug behind my seat;

Connecting the cable to the vehicle battery - that crazy looking fuse thing I have now mounted in a plastic box and sealed with insulation tape.

The battery box has this on off switch for the output and a led scale of battery condition.

It seems to be working OK.

Name:	Forum 008.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	191750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 009.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	191751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 005.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	191752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 006.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	191753  
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Powered up the fidge around 14h15;

about 1Hr later;

Around 16h15;

So the fridge works well - 2 Hrs to operating temp - I will be leaving it on this week to work and back only 20min each way - will see how this charges the aux battery and also see how the fridge drains the aux battery. 8)

Better to try it out here where I have a jumper battery than discover this on the trip

Name:	Forum 003.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	191754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 010.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	191755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum 011.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	191756  
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Please guys - if there is a fault in my "Temporary fridge installation" please tell me - this is the first time I have done this - bought that fridge on a sale at Snowmaster somewhere around April last year - today is the first time it has been powered up but I cannot drink warm beer

Good or bad comments - all welcome.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Bumble V youre setup looks real good and functional

What I have found is that my 102AH battery pulls my fridge for 24hours then the battery is below fridge min volts and stops opperation. I assume youre battery is roughly the same size should get the same performance. Driving for 20 minutes to work and 20 home should charge the battery a little, but not enough and over time the battery will discharge. for the Lesothe weekend however youre going to drive alot, and this will be sufficient to charge the battery. The bullydog I have setup to show me my alternator charging volts and at startup its at 14.5V and as the battery charges it drops to 12.5V, I assume the Hummer smart system will pick up the second battery and keep the volts higher but only one way to find out though and thats the fun way .

Man so much still to do, so little time
    -

OK - so;

Frozen - good for 3rd or 9th or 10th
    Sennin - good for 3rd (9/10 is B-day weekend) also a long way to come through.
    BV - good for 3rd or 9th or 10th (but not 16th - b-day weekend)
    Blueray - no comment yet
    Zach 1 - no comment yet know it is a long way for you too
    Zach 2 - no comment yet know it is a long way for you too

I would just add that I would be available for 17th if that day suites others better.

I for one need advice on the trip - never done it or anything like it - need advice like;
    1) food to take
    2) Clothing - (Sennin has advised possible sudden drop in temp)
    3) Additional bedding
    4) Towels & so on

I will be taking;
    a) 25Lt of spare fuel (for Justin)
    b) my fridge (way too big for my Hummer back but will try it today and see what plan I can make) even if I have to take out the back seats
    c) my bag of recovery gear (for rivers or puddles )
    d) my compressor
    e) tool box (if there is space after fridge - unless someone else has a fairly comprehensive tool kit)
    f) whatever else I can fit in that is reccommended after/at/before the meeting

So these are basically my questions and hope those that have done it (Frozen7days & Sennin & Blueray) before will have some input - would rather take more than I need than not have it with when it is needed.
    Im good for the 3rd or the next weekend. this is when we can sit and finilize all the neccessary issues and sort out the worries as well

I like the fridge, as suggested it will have to have a draw system to make it much easier to get into. Im glad to see you got alll the backup issues sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post

Im good for the 3rd or the next weekend. this is when we can sit and finilize all the neccessary issues and sort out the worries as well

I like the fridge, as suggested it will have to have a draw system to make it much easier to get into. Im glad to see you got alll the backup issues sorted out.
    Ok back to important stuff - - the 3rd suites three of us so far - Sennin ? Zach 1 ? Zach 2 ? how do you feel - do you want to come through or will you simply fit in with arrangement as suggested by Sennin.

If we a day at Heidelberg on 3rd it is open to all Hummers and anyone else naturally - byt those going to Lesotho do need to sit one side at some time and have a small discussion.

As far as the fridage goes - the following week will show how well the set up works. But seems that the set up is OK
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

He he,

As far as my thinking goes, all we need to discuss is:

1. What time do we want to depart Himeville to do sani pass.
    2. Which meals do we have to cater for ourselves? are we gonna braai and who must bring what for the fire
    3. Who likes coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon etc.? The normal Cadac gas struggles in the thin air
    4. What sites doesn't have power for the ladies having to do their hair etc. and what do we need to do to get a contingency plan

Usually this discussion happens about 2 weeks before the trip (but then we work it a bit differently in that everybody pays money into one persons account, which then goes and purchase all food stuffs according to a set menu. This we only do for long trips 9days and longer, to save on excessive food being taken along because everybody always buys a bit more than required "just in case" )
    -

Bumble V youre setup looks real good and functional

What I have found is that my 102AH battery pulls my fridge for 24hours then the battery is below fridge min volts and stops opperation. I assume youre battery is roughly the same size should get the same performance. Driving for 20 minutes to work and 20 home should charge the battery a little, but not enough and over time the battery will discharge. for the Lesothe weekend however youre going to drive alot, and this will be sufficient to charge the battery. The bullydog I have setup to show me my alternator charging volts and at startup its at 14.5V and as the battery charges it drops to 12.5V, I assume the Hummer smart system will pick up the second battery and keep the volts higher but only one way to find out though and thats the fun way .

Man so much still to do, so little time
    Thanks Sennin - yes my aux battery is 102AH and I did not think the 20 Min drive would charge it - but the box has that Level check LED so I am going to play with it during next week - keep a piece of worse frozen in the freezer and a beer cold in the fridge - even if I need to charge on 220V overnight - I just need to get the thermostats set at the correct level so that the freezer and fridge cycle at the correct temps.
    What Temp should I try achieve on the Freezer & Fridge compartments??
    Before we leave for Lesotho I will run the fridge for a full day on 220V and start with a fully charged Aux battery - I would assume this is the way to do it
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Thanks Sennin - yes my aux battery is 102AH and I did not think the 20 Min drive would charge it - but the box has that Level check LED so I am going to play with it during next week - keep a piece of worse frozen in the freezer and a beer cold in the fridge - even if I need to charge on 220V overnight - I just need to get the thermostats set at the correct level so that the freezer and fridge cycle at the correct temps.
    What Temp should I try achieve on the Freezer & Fridge compartments??
    Before we leave for Lesotho I will run the fridge for a full day on 220V and start with a fully charged Aux battery - I would assume this is the way to do it
    If you set the fridge at its coldest, it runs permanently. Or mine does . For keeping food frozen I have chosen -5 on mine, and it works perfectly. to keep food just cold I use 5 degrees and then it still freezes a 2 liter of coke if left in there for more than 3 days . you should play around and see what settings works best on your fridge
    -

He he,

As far as my thinking goes, all we need to discuss is:

1. What time do we want to depart Himeville to do sani pass.
    2. Which meals do we have to cater for ourselves? are we gonna braai and who must bring what for the fire
    3. Who likes coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon etc.? The normal Cadac gas struggles in the thin air
    4. What sites doesn't have power for the ladies having to do their hair etc. and what do we need to do to get a contingency plan

Usually this discussion happens about 2 weeks before the trip (but then we work it a bit differently in that everybody pays money into one persons account, which then goes and purchase all food stuffs according to a set menu. This we only do for long trips 9days and longer, to save on excessive food being taken along because everybody always buys a bit more than required "just in case" )
    As far as departing Underberg - More or less decided at 10h00 but need confirmation by all - democractic
    I would have NO PRBLEM going along with this idea -all club in for meals (and share it out for refigeration - I can fit it quite a bit ).

After Sani Top (meals provided) we have self catering but the chalets have gas (no electricity) I am quite into braais for evening (leftovers & eggs for breakfast) so yes at least 4 bags of charcoal but from what you are saying we should forget about skottles - am I correct
    I take it that you ar enot coming through on 3rd but we will fill you in if you cannot make it. Clearly you have done this many times - for me it is No1.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

As far as departing Underberg - More or less decided at 10h00 but need confirmation by all - democractic
    I would have NO PRBLEM going along with this idea -all club in for meals (and share it out for refigeration - I can fit it quite a bit ).

After Sani Top (meals provided) we have self catering but the chalets have gas (no electricity) I am quite into braais for evening (leftovers & eggs for breakfast) so yes at least 4 bags of charcoal but from what you are saying we should forget about skottles - am I correct
    I take it that you ar enot coming through on 3rd but we will fill you in if you cannot make it. Clearly you have done this many times - for me it is No1.
    He he, I'm not sure what my plans are for next weekend but I can say closer to the time .

Skottels work, but it feels like it takes ages to work (and with the altitude the water will boil, but wont be scorching hot.... I think those butane gas setups will work better )
    -

Default Sat phone

Does anyone going on trip to Lesotho have a SAT PHONE ?

Yes we are 6 Vehicles but a SAT PHONE could be handy for Justin.
    2010 Hummer H3 5,3 Lux

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast