Namibia in March 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Namibia in March 2013

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Namibia for the month of March next year and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of weather to expect? We will be taking our Nissan Hardbody DC with low range so we will be zig zaging our way along the route, so the weather will play a major role especially if the roads are wet and muddy.

As we have the whole month we are planing to drive from South to North, and back again so I am sure that we will experience all that Namibia has to offer on the weather front.

We are trying not to overplan our trip and while having certain stops planned are hoping to make use of local knowledge and allow ourselves to be fairly flexible in changing our route between the major stops on the fly.

We would however like to be more prepared for the weather and would appreciate any advice that members would care to share.

Thx.

In general nice weather, but yes, as you mention some rain can be expected. Always hard to say as you never really know when the rain decides to fall.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE

It's a great month - everything's nice and green, it's starting to cool down a bit, though there will be some hot and humid days. Main thing is that you will probably have to avoid doing any river bed travel in Damaraland and Kaokoveld as there will be sticky patches, and there is always the danger of flash floods.

The south - nice

The centre - good

The north - the best

As the other said, some rain, some nice days. Not so hot.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Much appreciated for all the replies, it's time to start getting really excited about our trip. Anyone know if this is generally considered a popular time to visit Namibia? As i mentioned we don't want to over plan our trip and plan on camping mostly but don't want to be caught with our pants down and find we should have booked months in advance.
    Last edited by actionman; 2012/12/07 at 03:26 PM.

march should be fine.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

It's a lovely time if you don't mind dodging the unpredictable rain storms and the fact that some rivers will still have water in them. If it is a "normal" rain season, no problem - if it is like 2011, check ahead, if possible, if you plan to cross any big rivers. Just stop anyone coming the other way, and ask them about conditions ahead. Also, as Tony said, be extra cautious in the riverbeds at that time of year - the Horusib gorge, for instance, is unlikely to be drivable in safety - but if you are in Puros, ask the guys who run the camp.

In a word, don't think that you're being a wimp if you ask advice from people coming the other way. And, very sensibly, you have got a flexible plan. Plans B or C can be just as enjoyable as Plan A.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    It's a lovely time if you don't mind dodging the unpredictable rain storms and the fact that some rivers will still have water in them. If it is a "normal" rain season, no problem - if it is like 2011, check ahead, if possible, if you plan to cross any big rivers. Just stop anyone coming the other way, and ask them about conditions ahead. Also, as Tony said, be extra cautious in the riverbeds at that time of year - the Horusib gorge, for instance, is unlikely to be drivable in safety - but if you are in Puros, ask the guys who run the camp.

In a word, don't think that you're being a wimp if you ask advice from people coming the other way. And, very sensibly, you have got a flexible plan. Plans B or C can be just as enjoyable as Plan A.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

The answer was not supposed to be on one of my questions, but I have to thank you for the advices as I will undertake a big Nam Tour between Jan 25th and Feb 25th (Startting in L' Stone, then Caprivi, Etosha, Ruacana, Epupa, Puros, Brandberg, Cape Cross, Namib, Whk), if possible with some pleasant things like Van Zyl's, Marienfluss, Khowarib, etc.. if possible.

It is bloody cold in Europe now !!

Cheers..

Eric - you don't have to tell me about the cold! Last week we left Windhoek at about 40C and got off the plane in London at something below freezing - haven't stopped shivering since!

Glad you found my comments helpful, and have a great trip.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.

Quote Originally Posted by actionman View Post
    Much appreciated for all the replies, it's time to start getting really excited about our trip. Anyone know if this is generally considered a popular time to visit Namibia? As i mentioned we don't want to over plan our trip and plan on camping mostly but don't want to be caught with our pants down and find we should have booked months in advance.
    As long as your trip doesn't coincide with the RSA school holidays or the weeks around the easter holidays, you sould be ok without booking up front. It's probably just a nice gesture, if you let people at private sites know a day in advance, or the same morning, that you plan on pitching up.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    Eric - you don't have to tell me about the cold! Last week we left Windhoek at about 40C and got off the plane in London at something below freezing - haven't stopped shivering since!

Glad you found my comments helpful, and have a great trip.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Just for you to know, I am living by Chantilly (it is twinned with Epsom and is a kind of French Newmarket - only with more race horses, the Aga Khan lives 1 km from my home), and we have the highest percentage of Brits in France amongst the population - 15% - and two anglican churches and an English shop...

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi Chris,
    The answer was not supposed to be on one of my questions, but I have to thank you for the advices as I will undertake a big Nam Tour between Jan 25th and Feb 25th (Startting in L' Stone, then Caprivi, Etosha, Ruacana, Epupa, Puros, Brandberg, Cape Cross, Namib, Whk), if possible with some pleasant things like Van Zyl's, Marienfluss, Khowarib, etc.. if possible.
    Hi Eric,

I've just thought a bit more about your proposed trip next Jan/Feb and the potential for big rain at that time of year. The Kunene should be full to overflowing, and if you were thinking of driving along the river from Ruacana to Epupa, forget it - it is a bad road in the dry, in the wet it is likely to be under water. In fact, I would forget Ruacana and go straight to Epupa, which will be spectacular.

You are thinking of possibly going to the Marienfluss and then Puros, this will leave you on the north bank of the Hoarusib, which is quite likely to be running, and then you could well be stuck there for a while. Near the camp, you can still see the top of an overlander truck that, against local advice, tried to cross when the river was running. Also, between Red Drum and Orupembe there are a number of smaller rivers.

If you want to go to Puros, consider going via Sesfontein because then you will be on the south bank and you will have seen what the road/river conditions are like, as you approach Puros from the south. This will give you the option of turning around. Remember, that the catchment areas for the bigger rivers are in the mountains and it can take a few days to run through to where you are. The smaller rivers are more likely to come down as flash floods from local rain. A few years ago, when camped in the Marienfluss, we could see storms over Angola and were advised to move out. We left early the next morning and got to Sesfontein ahead of the rivers. Koos Vervey, who ran Syncro Camp, left a few hours later and took a week to get to Windhoek, having been stuck in several rivers - this was in April.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoanib poort in April 03.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	182551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overlander in th Hoarusib.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	182552  
    Last edited by Chris Card; 2012/12/09 at 01:21 PM.

Well only four weeks to go and this is our route planned so far. What started out as a trip for a group of vehicles has turned into a solo expedition. I am hoping that our route choice and the distances have been broken down into manageable daily legs, if anyone can see an error I would appreciate any input. We have worked it out down to Keetmanshoop.

Birds Eye view on Google Maps
    http://g.co/maps/pzyj3

As I mentioned before we would like to remain flexible and I am already thinking that an extra day in Luderitz may not be a bad idea. I read the Luderitz - day trips thread had some nice ideas. We particularly like the look of the Sedina Boat Trip.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=138565

Eric should already be on his trip by now, I wish him safe travels.

Thanks,
    Last edited by actionman; 2013/02/01 at 07:15 PM.
    Craig Bartlett
    ---------------------------
    Clear first, Clever second.
    Nissan Hardbody Double Cab
    V6 3.3L Petrol
    4x4

Hi,

We leave for our trip this Friday and will cross the border on Saturday. I was wondering about the weather. I have been following a seven day forecast for a week now. Forecast shows that there have been thunder showers but I read in another post that it is still dry can anyone confirm?

A side note does anyone know if we can take fuel across the border in Jerry Cans?

Thx.
    Craig Bartlett
    V6 3.3L Petrol
    4x4

THUNDERSHOWERS?? where? We definately missing out... :-(
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Quote Originally Posted by actionman View Post
    A side note does anyone know if we can take fuel across the border in Jerry Cans?

Thx.
    Fuel is generally cheaper in Nam than in SA...
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Hi Walter, I have been following this forecast.
    http://www.meteona.com/index.php/wea...ext-seven-days

Thx Papsak, good to know that fuel is cheaper in NAM. I was sad to hear that there is no BP though, I am going to miss using my discovery petrol card and earning cash back.
    Craig Bartlett
    V6 3.3L Petrol
    4x4

Ja. Heard via Facebook friend farming between Maltahohe and Mariental and another near Aranos that it is DRY. Please keep those communities in your prayers.

For a tourist however the more dry the more beautifull is the dunes in the Kalahari ect. You see more sand and it is more red

As above.

We have only had 6mm rain thus far... :-(
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Craig, I don't understand the part of your trip with the Gamsberg?

Sorry, the google earth thing very slow on my connection.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast