Fortuner spare and running tyres different

Default Fortuner spare and running tyres different

Hi,

Apologies if this has been discussed to death already, a link to the correct thread would be as much appreciated!

I bought my 2009 Fortuner 4x4 about 2 months back and have planned a trip from Swakopmund (Driving up to Swakop from CPT via tar) down to Lambertsbaai (through Richtersveld) this mid December.

The vehicle is fitted with a set of Geolander AT/S tyres with the original spare (Bridgestone Deuler) hanging underneath.

seeing that we WILL be using the spare on the trip will it (1) cause damage to the Fortuner to be running on the Bridgestone Deuler Spare and the Geolander AT/S's at the same time and (2) will this be dangerous?

My problem is further complicated by the fact that I need to purchase a 2nd spare, do I go for a Deuler or a Geolander?

The Geo's still got a fair amount of tread on them, and Im not really in the mood to fork out R13k on a set of 5 new Deulers while the Geo's can still do the business for a couple of k's more?

Apologies if this thread should be over at the tyre chat section, thought I would post it here as my questions are directly related to the use of different tyres on a Fortuner!

Thanks for the help!

The main thing is to never mix different tyres with different thread across the same axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws. View Post
    The main thing is to never mix different tyres with different thread across the same axle.

In other words, instead of buying 5 Duelers, buy 2 Geolandars.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

So in short if you change tyres to a different brand you need to change the spare as well?

I suppose this is because of the difference in grip you might have with different tyres?

So what if their is a change in the tyre design? for example the Dueller D694 that is now being replaced by the D697? Or are these close enough?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Thanks! Eish I was hoping to move away from the Geo's back to Deulers over time...Well seems like I will have to become a Yokkie supporter afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    So in short if you change tyres to a different brand you need to change the spare as well?

I suppose this is because of the difference in grip you might have with different tyres?

So what if their is a change in the tyre design? for example the Dueller D694 that is now being replaced by the D697? Or are these close enough?
    I think the law says something about different tread patterns on the same axle, which wouldn't be legal. If the new Dueler's tread pattern looks different, you might get a speach from a cop at a road block, while his colleague waves through a taxi with 4 different tyres...

I think for vehicles with traction control and ESP, it is more important that all tyres have more or less the same diameter. The electronics will make up for different traction (or braking).

For older technology vehicles it is more important that all tyres have similar grip.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyAfrikaans View Post
    Thanks! Eish I was hoping to move away from the Geo's back to Deulers over time...Well seems like I will have to become a Yokkie supporter afterall

Talk to a couple of tyre dealers. If your current set of Yokohamas still got decent tread depth on them, you might still get a few buck for them. Or advertise the set at your local supermarket. They are popular tyres after all.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Just phoned TWT for a quote on a set of Geo AT/S's...Apparently the tyre has been discontinued...Only a AT available with slight variation in tread to the AT/S. Aargh!

What would you guys do? Would the 2 Geo's with slightly different tread suffice or would I need to replace the whole set of tires Just got a quote on 5 new Deulers for R11850 Dis n flippen plaas se geld!

Ek is nou so deurmekaar soos n poep in n perfume potjie!

1stly, Depending which Toyota dealer you phone, the technicians will tell you that the Fortuner is either Full Time or Part Time 4WD In other words, service your 4x4 Fortuner at the Stellenbosch dealer and it will receive a Part-time 4WD check at service time, service at Bellville and it will receive a Permanent 4WD check at service time Damn, that must mean that I have a Bellville spec Fortuner, well, I hope so, because the Permanent 4WD thing has been 1 of my boasting cards at the "Vrydag aand Braai en Bakkie debat". Not only that but the vehicles tractability while in "2WD" must be my ego driven imagination?

I'm pretty sure (and from what I've read, most Fortuner owners on this forum agree) its Permanent, but I'm by no means a qualified Toyota technician...so who do I trust?

2ndly, Both say that it will by no means be damaging to the vehicle to ride on 3 Geo's and 1 Deuler at the same time, as long as the diameter stays the same?

Hmmm, I was pretty sure that using 2 different set of tyres on a Permanent 4WD vehicle is not a very good idea?

So, Im as stuck in my decision regarding my tyre purchase as I started out... for my 2nd spare, do I buy a 2nd Deuler to match my existing spare, 1 Geo to match my existing running set, or 2 Geo's and replace my existing spare Deuler?

Different tyre diameters could damage the diffs of your 4WD. Different tyre treads on the same axle are illegal.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Thanks HugoNotte,

After many hours of deliberation I've decided to purchase 1 Geolandar for the 2nd Spare.
    The Deuler of the same diameter (current spare) will then be renegated to worst case scenario/last option spare (In this extreme case I will take my chances with the rozzers, your warning dually noted ) as I will be taking enough tire repair cans with me to plug the holes in the Springboks game plan! (I swear by that stuff and if the tire is not demolished, chances are that a can of tire repair will do the trick).

I have now made the financial decision to stick to the Yokkies for the forseable future. (Hope this was a good financial desicion! Hehe!).

*Still a bit undecided on which service dealer to take the Fortuner to for the pre-trip check up...Hmmm? In this case, seeing as I'll be driving a lot of gravel, I'd like to have a permanent 4WD vehicle...In that case I'll take it to Tygervalley Bellville.

When I get back Ill take it over to Stellenbosch, there they service part-time 4WD Fortuners...maybe the fuel consumption will be slightly better then? LOL!

Sorry for hammering on about this, but you could forgive say, a GWM (Im not brand bashing or saying GWM is incompetant) for having incomplete or conflicting information on thier products depending on which agent you visit. They're still new (in SA), in relevant terms, to the game and it takes time to get a company working efficiently....

But Toyota technicians incoherent on a vehicle as common as the Fortuner This is as shocking as 2 doctors arguing whether humans have 2 or 4 legs?

Luckily Fortuners are built from pure lead and dark matter, because it seems to me each time I take my Fortuner in for a service, these Toyota "technicians" bang spanners together in the hope that the black magic that created the beast is the same black magic that keeps it running forever

WOW! Toyota How about providing your technicians with some technical training?