Default Which one would you take?

If you were to win a three week single lens DSLR trip to an unknown photographic destination, which lens would you take?

The common denominator to this question is probably the lens all DSLR cameras should be sold with as standard kit. Your answer should therefore be aligned with first time buyer's budgetary constraints in mind.

The answers to this question should be thought provoking. (especially to the distributors)
    Last edited by Poen; 2012/11/30 at 08:47 PM. Reason: stupid grammar!
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

OK three week single lens trip, without reading further, Canon 28-300 L. (R20k)
    Then you bring in first time buyers budget, that takes it down to the EFS 28-135, very nice "kit" lens.

problem being that the 28-135 is only usefull in a zoo.

"out there" you need some length to reach accros the riverbed to spot the animals in the shade ....

sad reality there is no "Single lens" for all purposes. Then I would rather go for a super zoom bridge camera, with a tripod or monopod to get some use for the equivalent 1000mm lens .....

I agree with Chris. If you cannot invest in more and/or longer lenses, an advanced superzoom bridge will be a much better option.

Hard one, but i will go for the 70-200F2.8 plus 2x extender.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    *SOLD*2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual
    *SOLD* 2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE

First time buyer budget, not lottery winner

Hey, we can all still drool and dream

i'll stick then with my old trusty 18-200mm +-R6000
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    *SOLD*2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual
    *SOLD* 2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I agree with Chris. If you cannot invest in more and/or longer lenses, an advanced superzoom bridge will be a much better option.
    Help me out here, I'm ignorant, I can relate to the other lenses mentioned here, but please explain in laymans terms what is an advanced superzoom bridge.

Barry
    '07 Defender 110 TDi CSW Kalahari Edition.8)

"Defenders make strange noises. Every now and then. They are like men, normal men, not metro sexuals. They snore, fart and burp, and work very well in rough conditions......... " Andrewfus<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Barry have a look at this:
    http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-po...s-camera-black

The modern P&S cameras are GOOD !! the advances in the last 3 or 4 years have been significant.

BUT, due to the compact design of a P&S most only go up to 5x zoom.

The next group of cameras have a slightly larger construction - and often a lot more zoom. The Canon SX50 being a good example.

BUT you can not swop out lenses, and even though you technically have most of the adjustments it is not as easy to access as on the more advanced DSLR cameras.

But if I had to go on an extended holiday now where it would be impractical to lug about my whole camera kit, THIS is the camera I would take along.

Good Canon DSLR camera packages on the market at the moment including 300mm lenses in kit for around R5.000 - R6.000 which also includes bag and memory card

For a first time buyer I'd say do not buy a kit, buy a body and a 18-200mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne Snyman View Post
    For a first time buyer I'd say do not buy a kit, buy a body and a 18-200mm lens.
    Rather strange concept.

If first time buyers shouldnt buy a kit, then who should, proffesionals.

Surely the whole purpose of the kits is to get the newbie into the hobby and learn about the gear before he splashes out on the real thing.

The latest cannon kit has three lenses. The new user will soon learn which is his favourite that he uses the most, and which one he leaves in the case. Then when he wins the LOTTO he can buy the real thing intelligently.

If I could only take one lens I would take a modern P&S with a SuperZoom. Actually why am I saying "f", thats what I do. The bag of NIKON DSLR stuff gathers dust in the cupboard.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2012/12/01 at 11:18 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    . The bag of NIKON DSLR stuff gathers dust in the cupboard.
    Whats in the bag?

Then you bring in first time buyers budget, that takes it down to the EFS 28-135, very nice "kit" lens.
    Nee man, nou lyk jy soos n alien in jou avatar foto!
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Whats in the bag?
    D5000 plus some lenses and bits and bobs.

It and the lenses are just too big to lug around when travelling. Invariably you have the wrong lens on when those fleeting opportunity shots arise. With a point and shoot it is with you and all you do is adjust the zoom and press the button. Invariably those fleeting opportunity shots happen just in front of you, like the one below in Swaziland last weekend.

Proper lenses come into their own when you know what you are going to shoot.

But this is off topic.

If I used a DSLR with only one lense it would be a good prime, probably somewhere between 35mm and 50mm shooting in RAW mode and high/max resolution. That way you can shoot wide/psuedo MACRO shots and also use cropping afterwards if it is a high megapixel camera to zoom in. You can't play with depth of field, but you can't have everything.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Whatever budget DSLR you like and a Tamron or Sigma 70-300.
    I have a Tamron and it doesn't let me down. Ever.
    Me and SWAMBO have 60D and 450D respectively and great shots have been taken with both cameras and the 70-300.

We have a 55-200 as well but it just doesn't have the legs when the game is way out there, although it's good for birds at middle to close range.
    Last edited by Airguitar; 2012/12/02 at 08:13 AM.
    Doing the right thing achieves more than making the right noises.

+1. If the budget allows. L lens is just in a different class.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Barry have a look at this:
    http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-po...s-camera-black

The modern P&S cameras are GOOD !! the advances in the last 3 or 4 years have been significant.

BUT, due to the compact design of a P&S most only go up to 5x zoom.

The next group of cameras have a slightly larger construction - and often a lot more zoom. The Canon SX50 being a good example.

BUT you can not swop out lenses, and even though you technically have most of the adjustments it is not as easy to access as on the more advanced DSLR cameras.

But if I had to go on an extended holiday now where it would be impractical to lug about my whole camera kit, THIS is the camera I would take along.
    Thanks Chris.

Nice camera you refered to, I was blissfully unaware that the P&S had that much zoom ability.

Barry
    '07 Defender 110 TDi CSW Kalahari Edition.8)

"Defenders make strange noises. Every now and then. They are like men, normal men, not metro sexuals. They snore, fart and burp, and work very well in rough conditions......... " Andrewfus<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

should add that as a general guide line anything more than 5x zoom it is best to use a tripod or monopod.

When you zoom THAT MUCH (x50) you really need the camera on a tripod with a cable release, or self timer.