4WD or 2WD ?

Thread: 4WD or 2WD ?

Default 4WD or 2WD ?

In order not to hijack Dirk's thread (Stuck) with my problems and at the risk of repeating myself here is my scenario. I took possession of my 2004 Hyundai Terracan in the middle of September just in time for our annual holiday into the Kgalagadi Park (soft side).

Not being experienced in 4x4 driving we opted for no 4x4 camps yet. During one of our drives we went down a road to Rooiputs campsite marked 4x4 only, as it was only sand this should not be a problem for me or my vehicle. Ha Ha. We got stuck in the sand and all the digging did not help getting out, very quickly we were belly down in the sand. I noticed the ABS light and the hand brake light was illuminated on the dashboard and only the back wheels were spinning and digging me in deeper. I did turn the vehicle off and remove the key hoping that the electronics would reset themselves but without success.

Eventually after about 2 hours a Fortuna drove into the campsite area and was able to tow me out. On my return to Cape Town I booked my car in for a 90 000 km service and told them about my problem. After 4 days the dealer still seemed to be unable to resolve my non 4 WD problem. Late on Friday evening they phoned and said they had discovered that the problem was an earth wire that was disconnected.

I am not sure that the problem has in actual fact been resolved. How does one test that 4WD is in engaging. I have driven on a sandy patch of ground near my home and notice that if I accelerate hard the back wheels spin but not the front. I am at the point of giving the vehicle back and telling them that unless resolved I do not want the vehicle. Can someone please give me a suggestion as to how to prove 4WD is working.

Greg Hudson
    Last edited by Dirk; 2007/10/16 at 08:44 PM.

Go too a 4WD dynotune place. Ask them to put it on the front and back rollers and select 4WD and put foot and front rollers should start turning.

You can try in the sand again, but just make sure you have a buddy to recover you.

Put the car on jack-stands, but this is a lot of work and could be dangerous.
    Cecil
    Dharhan, Saudi Arabia
    and sometimes
    Brackenfell, Cape Town
    97 Colt 3L V6 DC Rodeo

you can park on some wet grass, put ramps at two opposite wheels eg: front left and rear right, the rear left and front right will have a tendancy to spin, try it out. Or instead of ramps, as this might not be too safe, you could put your vehicle on stands. Make sure you are on flat ground. whatever works...
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Select 4wd.Jack up the rear axle so that one or both wheels are in the air.Put in gear and let the clutch out SLOWLY.If the vehicle wants to move forward the 4wd is working.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

I have a bank in the corner of my yard, with Swambo's help it takes 1 minute to see if 4 x 4 is working.
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    Select 4wd.Jack up the rear axle so that one or both wheels are in the air.Put in gear and let the clutch out SLOWLY.If the vehicle wants to move forward the 4wd is working.
    Will this work if the TerrorCan has LSD (which I believe to be the case...)
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Will this work if the TerrorCan has LSD (which I believe to be the case...)
    Seems dangerous to jack and test! Maybe drive down to the beach behind the dunes to test it. Don't forget recovery Landy.
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lemon View Post
    Seems dangerous to jack and test!
    Im sorry. I should of said to use a trolley jack on a sement floor.The way I allways do it.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Get hold of Morton Bergh The beast he is going to the dunes some time I think on Sunday he also drive a can he maybe can help you
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Hey Hoender, its Berg sonder die H. Kala I'm doing the dunes on 28th with some SERIOUS 'CANS if you want to Join. Wiel, Ja right LSD (as per SimonB) will kill whoever is around not stopping your trolley. I think one of your vacume pipes has sprung a leak. Don't know where you took your Can but speak to Manfred who is the workshop Manager in Paarden eiland 5062800. Very helpful and have resolved problems on our club members cars. A very simple test you can perform is similar to what Bob suggests. Makes sure your hand break works well and actually locks your rear wheels. When on soft sand applying this method your front wheels should then pull the back along. If all else fails instal ARB difflock in front at R12000, he,hee just kidding
    Morton the " BEAST " Berg
    3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16”rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Quote Originally Posted by Morton Berg View Post
    Wiel, Ja right LSD (as per SimonB) will kill whoever is around not stopping your trolley.
    Morton, I am not quite sure what you mean. Anyway, a friction type axle LSD is rather ineffective when one wheel on that axle is in the air, because the lock-up is proportional to the torque transmitted by the axle. With one wheel on an axle in the air, essentially zero torque can be transmitted by that axle. The spring pre-load in the diff can only lead to a small amount of lock up and hence torque transmission. This is also the reason why the old hand-brake trick works and why a friction type LSD is way less effective than a mechanical diff lock, especially in cross axle situations. As long as you have chocks in front of the wheels on the ground when you lift one of the Terracan's rear wheels, there is no way that it will climb out of there without the front wheels pulling.

A very simple test you can perform is similar to what Bob suggests. Makes sure your hand break works well and actually locks your rear wheels. When on soft sand applying this method your front wheels should then pull the back along.
    If the front and rear propshafts are locked together (as they should be in a part-time 4WD when 4WD is selected), this won't prove anything. The park brake torque applied to the rear wheels will brake the front wheels via the propshafts and transfer case as well, so the only way the vehicle will move is if you drive through the park brake,in which case all wheels will turn at the same speed if they have the same grip.

I agree the best way to verify whether there is front drive is wiel's trolley suggestion: Jack up both the rear wheels (just cear of the ground) with a trolley jack under the diff, positioned so that the vehicle can roll forward and backward on the trolley. If there is front wheel drive, the vehicle will roll. This must be done on a hard smooth surface, of course and need not be dangerous.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

Land Cruiser HDJ100

Default now working

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had a call from the service manager yesterday saying that they think they have found the solution to my problem. They were in contact with a dealer in Klerksdorp who pointed them in the right direction. They came and fetched my vehicle and returned an hour later saying they had replaced a servo unit that was causing the problem. It now feels to me that 4WD has engaged correctly. My simple test was to drive on gravel in 4WD and when you turn you can hear the wheels biting. I would be very keen to see what CANS can do in Atlantis even if not confident enough to participate.

Greg Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Dreamer View Post
    I would be very keen to see what CANS can do in Atlantis even if not confident enough to participate.
    Greg.

If Morton can drive around AD in his TerroristCan, then anyone can

Glad you got things sorted, and please don't let a lack of confidence get in the way of your 4x4'ing. You have to start somewhere, and sitting on the sidelines isn't much fun. This crowd here are very good with noobies, and we all chip in a little to help.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4ePajero Guest

Greg,

Get to know your CAN.
    Continue with the experiment you made on loose gravel.
    Drive it with the different transfer case settings and learn the "feel" of the vehicle in the different modes.

I can "feel" when my Pajero (which is in fact very close family of the Terracan) is in 4WD.

I can even feel when the transfer case is in 2WD, but the front hubs are engaged. (My Pajero has auto-locking hubs, which only disengage if you reverse a few metres in 2WD).

Once you "know" your vehicle, you will be able to detect that you are in the correct mode before attempting an obstacle.

Kala.. Check my thread on calender for 28th at Atlantis. There will be quite a few *Cans there and you can ask questions etc. We will assist you with what to do when. IF you feel you cannot do an object, don't do it. We all learn daily. As for Pumba with his *Can wannabe, eat must dust bro, he,hee. 4ePaj is so correct. Get to know your vehicle mate. The more you know about it the more confident you'll be. Hope to see you there (and you Simon old bud)
    3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16”rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

if I can have someone hold my hand and point me in the right direction I will be there
    Greg Hudson

As for Pumba with his *Can wannabe, eat must dust bro, he,hee.
    Morton, Morton, we have been through this before. The Terrorcan is the wannabe/Paj imitation. But there is no shame in imitating a classic. Your Terr-can is a monster though, judging by the pics I have seen.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

Land Cruiser HDJ100

Hi Gerrit, wanted to rip into Simon mate. No disrespect to Paj boys. Awesome vehicles. They just cannot go where I go, he,hee tease,tease, he,hee.
    Greg I've placed your name on my thread for 28th. I need your vehicle reg num. Your ID,and your cell number if you do not have a permit for AD. Costs R100 and I'll get it arranged for you mate. Let me know on my thread as don't want to bog this one. Spike will kill me. W.r.t. directions we'll communicate closer the time bud.

Thanks Morton I have sent you a PM with details.
    Greg