Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263
Results 5,241 to 5,252 of 5252

Default Re: What have you done with your Defender today?

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Replaced the Tx box intermediate shaft o-rings, input seal and the front differential pinion seal.

I worked alone and it took me 16 hours. Luckily I had a transmission hoist and the adaptor plate.

It's the first time I have done this and I took my time, making sure I don't break anything.
    Did you do the whole job on the bench or under the car?

And did you take the whole intermediate shaft out and replace the crush sleeve, or do the short-cut where you mark the position of the nut beforehand and re-tighten it to that point?

I saw an interesting video (Britannica) recently where he gives his take on the leaking shaft and why it ovals out the transfer case housing. Obviously it's aluminium and is a soft wear point. But he mentioned that the crush sleeve doesn't crush quite evenly, resulting in an unbalanced load on the bearings (I think) and the unevenness causes the hole to be enlarged. Made a lot of sense. So he has a "fix" where he fits the crush sleeve, then takes it out and measures the average length with verniers, then has a solid steel sleeve machined to those dimensions instead.

Those O Rings like to pinch when going in, did you use a new crush washer on the intermediate gear, or old one
    2002 Defender with 300TDi VNT modified
    2005 Defender TD5 CR VNT turbo, Ashcroft lockers,HD CW&P, HD side shafts & CV and Pegged, 35” coppers STT pro ………..and more

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post

And did you take the whole intermediate shaft out and replace the crush sleeve, or do the short-cut where you mark the position of the nut beforehand and re-tighten it to that point?

I saw an interesting video (Britannica) recently where he gives his take on the leaking shaft and why it ovals out the transfer case housing. Obviously it's aluminium and is a soft wear point. But he mentioned that the crush sleeve doesn't crush quite evenly, resulting in an unbalanced load on the bearings (I think) and the unevenness causes the hole to be enlarged. Made a lot of sense. So he has a "fix" where he fits the crush sleeve, then takes it out and measures the average length with verniers, then has a solid steel sleeve machined to those dimensions instead.
    friend of mine machines both sides of the casing and installs steal sleeve problem solved but it has to be 100% true
    2005 Defender TD5 CR VNT turbo, Ashcroft lockers,HD CW&P, HD side shafts & CV and Pegged, 35” coppers STT pro ………..and more

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post

I did it under the vehicle as I couldn't lift the vehicle high enough with the box on the hoist. The o-rings where hard and square.
    As my vehicle is a 2006 model I took a chance and assumed that it has the new fixed length spacer.(Like new wheel bearing spacer on later models)

I marked the nut but decided to torque the nut iaw the manual.(88Nm)
    The nut only turned about 3mm more, just as he said it would be, so I staked it.
    This fits with what I read on a thread on the Australian forum. The little bit of extra rotation of the nut is because of the bearings being run in.

On one of the English forums a guy recommend using a high torque sealant on the shaft. He has done quite a few and has good results. So I did the same, but due to the little clearance almost everything was pushed out. Not sure if such a small amount will be helpful.

I couldn't see or feel excessive wear and the shaft hole in the casing looked round.
    Measurement wasn't 100% due to access.
    There was a little play without the o-ring but it seemed the same in all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Those O Rings like to pinch when going in, did you use a new crush washer on the intermediate gear, or old one
    I wasn't too worried about the front o-ring but I worried about the rear one as I did get a small piece from the original one. Both where lubricated to help with installation. It looks like I was successful.

I haven't driven the vehicle yet. I was gatvol, so here's to hoping that I did a good job.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

I spend some quality time with the Defender, replacing the shocks, steering damper and building a seat delete box for an upcoming trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	724712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	724713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	724714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	724715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	724716  
    '11 Defender 110
    [:O|##|O:]

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmileyMe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMe View Post
    I spend some quality time with the Defender, replacing the shocks, steering damper and building a seat delete box for an upcoming trip.
    Interesting box, please post photos of installation when complete.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Finished my seat delete box over the weekend and rearranged by packing in the back to allow easier access to water. the box internals is about the foot print of an ammo box internal size and ±240 internal height available. the seat bracket is a little intrusive, but not too much (I've removed the plastic cover a while ago when i removed the third row seats and installed the shelf in the back). At some point I'll also put the rubber mat on the shelf when I am happy with the workings of the layout (it has changed a few times).

The box is fixed to the floor by using some of the seat bolts. I store my 3x camping chair, tables and wind boma in the foot well behind the driver seat.

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	725242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	725243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	725244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	725245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	725246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	725247  
    '11 Defender 110
    [:O|##|O:]

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SmileyMe For This Useful Post:

Amazing how much more room can get with out that seat

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMe View Post
    Finished my seat delete box over the weekend and rearranged by packing in the back to allow easier access to water. the box internals is about the foot print of an ammo box internal size and ±240 internal height available. the seat bracket is a little intrusive, but not too much (I've removed the plastic cover a while ago when i removed the third row seats and installed the shelf in the back). At some point I'll also put the rubber mat on the shelf when I am happy with the workings of the layout (it has changed a few times).

The box is fixed to the floor by using some of the seat bolts. I store my 3x camping chair, tables and wind boma in the foot well behind the driver seat.
    Flippen nice

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Puma 110 2.4 Reverse light switch not working
    After having previously removed the switch, cleaned out the ball spring section with electrical spray , tested it with a continuity tested, working fine I re installed it.
    worked for a few days same problem.
    Repeated the same above recently , only to have the same outcome. No equivalent fine thread switches avl locally so i connected a toggle switch and mounted it next to drivers seat, Didnt feel like driving through to Dover
    Just got gatV3$%l with the in out.
    Probable conclusion is that maybe the linkage is just not making sufficient contact with the ball on the switch?
    Has anyone had a similar experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by Basser View Post
    Puma 110 2.4 Reverse light switch not working
    After having previously removed the switch, cleaned out the ball spring section with electrical spray , tested it with a continuity tested, working fine I re installed it.
    worked for a few days same problem.
    Repeated the same above recently , only to have the same outcome. No equivalent fine thread switches avl locally so i connected a toggle switch and mounted it next to drivers seat, Didnt feel like driving through to Dover
    Just got gatV3$%l with the in out.
    Probable conclusion is that maybe the linkage is just not making sufficient contact with the ball on the switch?
    Has anyone had a similar experience ?
    I have it with my diff lock switch, had to machine it down to thread in further, only lasted for a while and has again stopped working. Reverse light could be an earthing issue.

Tied a 12Ft Trampoline down.
    Its windy in P.E. (Comes from Cape Town)

Name:	IMG-101.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	726470  
    Defender Td5

Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263