Wild Dog poster

Thread: Wild Dog poster

Default Wild Dog poster

Came across this poster today,

Really gives a visual of the situation we're in with these animals; and reading about those 40 that were just killed senselessly.........

Makes me wonder how much time is left for these guys.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shocking to say the least!

Now that certainly puts it in perspective!
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Well thought, beautifully put poster. Shameless how we as humans destroy absolutely everything. Soon they will put up posters like that about our Rhinos...

The problem with Wild Dogs is their complex social structure in the pack. A small game farm cant just take one or two like with a rhino. "Wild Dogs are extremely destructive and will kill more than they can eat if the situation arises." As such their are few taker's when it comes to adopting a wild dog pack. A park the size of the Pilansberg 66 000 ha +- could only sustain a small pack. The dogs, being very intelligent, soon learnt that the way to catch the animals was to heard them up against the fences then kill at will. The small Pilansberg pack is credited with a large portion of the blame when the game population was nearly decimated in the park. Wild Dogs beautiful as they may be are a big problem for a number of reasons with no easy solution in sight.
    Last edited by kevjones; 2012/11/20 at 07:49 PM.
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    The problem with Wild Dogs is their complex social structure in the pack. A small game farm cant just take one or two like with a rhino. Wild Dogs are extremely destructive and will kill more than they can eat if the situation arises. As such their are few taker's when it comes to adopting a wild dog pack. A park the size of the Pilansberg 66 000 ha +- could only sustain a small pack. The dogs, being very intelligent, soon learnt that the way to catch the animals was to heard them up against the fences then kill at will. The small Pilansberg pack is credited with a large portion of the blame when the game population was nearly decimated in the park. Wild Dogs beautiful as they may be are a big problem for a number of reasons with no easy solution in sight.
    Hokai No predator goes out killing for fun, they are too lazy for that. Having said that any predator is an opportunistic killer and if a bokkie should want to commit suicide it will gladly oblige.
    Pilanesberg had two packs that went along very well as well as a few prides of lion and a few leopard and cheetah. The park was in a sustainable balance and even allowed for hunting in a controlled manner.

Then.....................things changed hunting became a big money spinner, where the funds went nobody can tell but it became necessary to remove most of the lion as well as leopard and cheetah and one of the wild dog packs just to let the game catch up The wild dogs were sent to a farmer in the warmbaths area who sold them to a Chinese zoo at the moment the Chinese have a huge bio diverse gene pool of African wild dog and if I am not mistaken even bigger than we have in our country.

My experiences are that there is more game on the menu at Manyane than in the veld. Operation Genesis was a huge success but poor management has made all the efforts a waste of time.

Marakele has also had wild dogs but had to remove them fortheir own safety after surrounding farmers shot three. They are highly inteligent and have aquired a taste for farm breakfast after a very short exposure and no matter how deep they were relocated in the park they just kept breaking out. Marakele is one of the few parks who do regular fence patrols and keep their fences in immaculate condition.

The main threat to their survival is the fact that they need a fairly big range and that their complicated social structure need at least 5 -7 dogs to be a viable population, unlike rhino where you just throw a male with a female in the same area and let nature take its course, dogs will not just bond and form a new pack making it even more difficult to expand their population range.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Hokai No predator goes out killing for fun............................

Sorry for the pedantic hijack.........but SEALS do! Too often I've seen them kill a fish - and not eat it - only to kill and discard again and again.

That is a brilliant poster - the first time I have actually considered the Wild Dog's plight.
    ROWAN.

1989 Land Rover 110 V8 CSW
    MANTO. 'cos she's black and she suips

If ever i own a Landy, i will name it Wild Dog

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Thumbs up

hokai No predator goes out killing for fun, they are too lazy for that. Having said that any predator is an opportunistic killer and if a bokkie should want to commit suicide it will gladly oblige.
    Pilanesberg had two packs that went along very well as well as a few prides of lion and a few leopard and cheetah. The park was in a sustainable balance and even allowed for hunting in a controlled manner.

Then.....................things changed hunting became a big money spinner, where the funds went nobody can tell but it became necessary to remove most of the lion as well as leopard and cheetah and one of the wild dog packs just to let the game catch up The wild dogs were sent to a farmer in the warmbaths area who sold them to a chinese zoo At the moment the chinese have a huge bio diverse gene pool of african wild dog and if i am not mistaken even bigger than we have in our country.

My experiences are that there is more game on the menu at manyane than in the veld. Operation genesis was a huge success but poor management has made all the efforts a waste of time.

Marakele has also had wild dogs but had to remove them fortheir own safety after surrounding farmers shot three. They are highly inteligent and have aquired a taste for farm breakfast after a very short exposure and no matter how deep they were relocated in the park they just kept breaking out. Marakele is one of the few parks who do regular fence patrols and keep their fences in immaculate condition.

The main threat to their survival is the fact that they need a fairly big range and that their complicated social structure need at least 5 -7 dogs to be a viable population, unlike rhino where you just throw a male with a female in the same area and let nature take its course, dogs will not just bond and form a new pack making it even more difficult to expand their population range.
    1000 %

Hokai No predator goes out killing for fun, they are too lazy for that. Having said that any predator is an opportunistic killer and if a bokkie should want to commit suicide it will gladly oblige.

Then.....................things changed hunting became a big money spinner, where the funds went nobody can tell but it became necessary to remove most of the lion as well as leopard and cheetah and one of the wild dog packs just to let the game catch up The wild dogs were sent to a farmer in the warmbaths area who sold them to a Chinese zoo at the moment the Chinese have a huge bio diverse gene pool of African wild dog and if I am not mistaken even bigger than we have in our country.

My experiences are that there is more game on the menu at Manyane than in the veld. Operation Genesis was a huge success but poor management has made all the efforts a waste of time.

Sorry Hbannik the sentence was meant to be in quotes. You as usual are quite correct the perception that they kill wantonly is not true. The blaming of the Wild Dog in Pilansberg is unjust. As you correctly pointed out Pilansberg suffers from other problems. The biggest challenge is space and the perception by some people in the East as to what a bit of Dog can do for you.
    Jeep, there is only one.

"Did you know?
    No two wild dogs are marked exactly the same, making it easy to identify different individuals. Why such a pattern should develop, and how it serves the hunting dog, has long intrigued scientists.
    Wild dogs are usually on the move over a very large range, covering for example, some 900 square miles in the Serengeti. After a litter is born, however, they will limit their travelling and hunting to areas closer to the den."
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by DFNDR WP View Post
    Sorry for the pedantic hijack.........but SEALS do! Too often I've seen them kill a fish - and not eat it - only to kill and discard again and again.

That is a brilliant poster - the first time I have actually considered the Wild Dog's plight.
    Staying in Kommetjie I am surprised that you still call them seals most of the snoek fishermen and other fisherfolk have much more descriptive and colourful names for them

I have witnessed this myself on quite a few occasions but looking closer it seemed as if they just went for the high protein intestine and then discarded the rest or as I have often seen wait for a fisherman to catch a snoek and then steal it off the hook no wonder the snoek season often sounds like a major terrorist attack especially when there is a bit of fog around
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Staying in Kommetjie I am surprised that you still call them seals most of the snoek fishermen and other fisherfolk have much more descriptive and colourful names for them

I have witnessed this myself on quite a few occasions but looking closer it seemed as if they just went for the high protein intestine and then discarded the rest or as I have often seen wait for a fisherman to catch a snoek and then steal it off the hook no wonder the snoek season often sounds like a major terrorist attack especially when there is a bit of fog around

Spot on,
    When they upset the snoek boats, its one thing, but when they make a pest of themselves with Squid, that's pure agony. They chase the fish from under the boat, and as long as they hang around, the fish won't come back.
    Believe me, when you're catching a ton per hour - at R70/kg - and he hangs around for 3 hours.........you do the math!
    Colourful terms?? - TOS!

Back to the dogs.........
    ROWAN.

1989 Land Rover 110 V8 CSW
    MANTO. 'cos she's black and she suips