Info Required :Eastern Cape to Moz via Swaziland

Default Info Required :Eastern Cape to Moz via Swaziland

Hi Guys,

We are planning a trip to Paindane (450km north of Maputo) in March next year, we are travelling from the EC so the prefferred route would be up to Golela gate and through S`land and out through Lomahasha gate and then on to Maputo and up to Paindane.

Has anyone travelled this route and if so what are the conditions of that route through S`land? We`ll all be in 4x4 DC so the condition should not be a problem we are just trying to plan the route and if we can prevent travelling at night then we will.

Also what are the requirements for RSA vehicles in Moz re paperwork triangles, bribes, speedlimits etc.

And lastly if anyone has done the Paindane area if you could give some info regarding any trails that might be of interest. It is going to be a mainly a fishing, diving, d_ _ _ _ _ _ g week but we want to build in at least 1 or 2 trails while we are there.

Thanks Lads and Lasses

2003 COLT 2.8TDi RODEO DC 4X4 - CURRENT
    1999 COLT V6 RODEO DC 4X4 - EX

Vee6
    If you are going to use the Namaacha BP you will not require a 4x4. Roads are great with the odd pot hole but I did it in a jetta without any problems.
    You will require the normal paper work for borders including a letter from your insurance company
    The blue square with yellow triangle sticker that seems to have become fashionable to put onto the back and front of 4x4's is only required to be put onto the front of the vehicle and the back of the trailer (if towing).

You shouldnt need to pay bribes if you keep to the speed limits and obey the road rules. Ive only paid a bribe once (which I deserved to pay as I was speeding and it was cheeper than paying the standard fine) and that was just after the cyclone in March this year. Been travelking to Moz since '91.

I dont enjoy Paindane at all but there is an alternative route to Paindane from the main road that requires a 4x4. (if you have kids, watch them on the beach as there are normally alot of SA tourists racing up and down it in the busy seasons.)

You welcome to mail me directly if you have any more questions.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

I would suggest 1 deviation.

Go through Siteki, Mhlumeni (SZ) B/Post - Goba (MZ) B/Post

You go over the top of the mountain. 2615'28.24"S 32 5'5.22"E

Not a very well used road. Would be my choice.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Thanks for the advice guys,

We were planning on overnighting in Siteki at Maduba B&B, so we will be using the Goba B/P, BruceT, could you elaborate a little more on why you do not enjoy the Paindane area. It will be boys only so there will be no kids to worry about and as far as I know driving and quads on the beach has been banned unless you are launching a boat for which you can get a permit.

The area where we are staying specifies 4x4 only so that is why we are taking the 4x4`s, apparently heavy sand from the EN1 to Paindane Beach.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards

Vee6

2003 COLT 2.8TDi RODEO DC 4X4 - CURRENT
    1999 COLT V6 RODEO DC 4X4 - EX

Hi Vee6,

I think if you are going there out of season then it will be very nice. I went there at the beginning of December last year and hated the fact that the beach looked like a PnP parking lot even though the law states that you may not drive on the beaches. There was even an X5 stuck on its belly about 20m from where we were sitting and vehicles were up and down the beach the whole time we were there.

I also had quite a few close calls with quad bikes on the main road, although alot of the resorts dont allow them.

If I go back there it will be out of season, as it is a very nice location and the reef is also very close to the shore although when we were there there was zero visability. Lots of Blue Bottles also.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT