Homemade Roofrack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Homemade Roofrack

Have any of you practical guys ever made your own roofrack and mounting feet for a guttered vehicle (Defender)? Any help or tips would be appreciated.
    I am going to make a low profile rack from 1 inch square tubing.

Thanks

Willem, PM me your e-mail and I will send you a drawing of what I made for my SFA Hilux, I'm sure it could be adapted for your needs.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

Quote Originally Posted by WILLEM View Post
    Have any of you practical guys ever made your own roofrack and mounting feet for a guttered vehicle (Defender)? Any help or tips would be appreciated.
    I am going to make a low profile rack from 1 inch square tubing.

Thanks
    Willem is this wise? A square tubing RR will be high, and much of the allowed roof rack weight will be taking up just for the rack.

Agree but whats the alternative for the diy man?

I`m not going to mak a rail as wel, only the floor part, as close to the roof as practicaly possible. My biggest problem is the feet, or mountings.

Cheers

4ePajero Guest

My biggest problem is the feet, or mountings.
    You can buy the feet from most RR suppliers such as FrontRunner.

Look at Thule racks as well - it might be worth while buying something and modifying it.

I have a home made steel roof rack that fits in gutters. It was made for my GWagon which is a short wheel base. The rack is designed in two seperate parts. The one part is for loading and has 2 gas bottle brackets and 2 double jerry can holders. The other part is for a roof top tent. The two sections can be used seprately or as a unit. It clamps down with 5 clamps on a side. My lovely wife bought me an alluminium rack so this one is available to anybody that is interested. It should fit on defenders. I stay in Springs and you are welcome to just come and fetch it verniet, gratis, for nothing, mahala. Send me a pm if you are interested
    Andre
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    You can buy the feet from most RR suppliers such as FrontRunner.

Look at Thule racks as well - it might be worth while buying something and modifying it.
    At R250 a foot you will pay R 1k just for the feet

Rocky Guest

Please post some pictures ones you have made you roof rack , I am thinking of making one too

Safari Centre charges about R1700 for a mounting kit!!!
    Does any of you know what aluminum square tubing costs?
    have been very busy this week, coudnt get prices in town.

Im thinking of welding a steel angle iron frame and bolting alu sqaure tubing on as slats. But first im gonna compare the prices of steel and alu tubing.

I have a design in my head for the feet, only need the time to make it!

Aluminium 25x25 (1") SQ tubing costs around R150 for a 6M length from Maizeys plastics. It makes sense to make a frame from angle iron and use alu for the base, the cost becomes alot less as 25x25 angle cost around R50 for 6M, 20x20 SQ tubing is also +-R50 for 6M, and using angle it wont weight as much.

Aluminium weighs around 35% of steel so if you do a simple calculation:

25x25x3 angle at 1.11kg/m = 1.11kg X .35 = 0.3885kg for the same angle in alu. Now tubing is double an angle so it would actually weigh in at 0.777kg.

Hope this helps.
    May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay

Just remember that the 25x25mm aluminium from Maizey's is 1.5mm wall thickness (Because they use it for signboards) whereas general al square tubing is 2mm wall thickness, which costs about R53/m here in Somerset West. Which makes quite a bit of difference on the price.

I am also thinking along the lines of homemade roofrack, so let me know what you decide. Can always use some ideas.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info Scooter
    Will update you on my progress, unfortuanatly not htis weekend.

I recon i will need about 22m of square tubing if i make the whole rack of it. That means it will weigh about 45kg to 50 kg ( 22 x 1.11 x2).
    Will that be to heavy? If i remember corectly a alu frontrunner is 39kg,s not that big a difference.

Cheers

I built a RR for DC Mazda years ago, used MS 16mm square tube for the outside frame, 2 of those spaced with 50 Hollow tube spacers so my wolfpacks dont slide of when the vehicle is on uneven ground.
    Only 2 slats also from the 16 mm sqr tubing to devide the square into quarters and then expanded metal mesh covering the whole of the rack and securely welded to the outside frame, found that this option saves a lot of weight as opposed to numerous load bearing slats accross the structure.
    As for the clamps, I used 70x6mm flat bar welded to the square tubing, bottom was rounded of with 8 mm round bar as to not damage the inside of the driprails, the feet were all powder coated and dipped in a rubber coating for extra protection against chafing. The clasping mechanism was 4 mm MS plate that had 8mm threaded bar welded to it, upon fitment the threaded bar would be fitted through a steel bush welded to the leg with an m8 nut at the top to pull and tighten with, a grub screw was added later to ensure the clasp remains in place.
    Served me well......
    You can follow.....but it's gonna hurt, even more!<br>FJ Desert Cruiser<br>Patrol 4.5<br>Stock standard....for now...

Steel is much easier to work with, very cheap and of course very strong but bloody heavy!

I am very adverse to having a lot of weight on my roof and a steel roofrack can easily weigh 50-100kg. And thats before you have put any sort of baggage up there! Significant weight at that height is going to make the vehicles centre of gravity move up which will affect its handling, put a lot more load on the shocks and decrease the safe sideslope traversing angle, not to mention increase the liklihood of a roll over in an accident or stressing of the roof pillars.

Thats why I used aluminium when I made my roof rack, its a lot more expensive and you cant weld it easily (I used heavy duty pop rivets in low stress areas and bolts in the high stressed joints instead). I used 65x25x2 Oval Ladder section as the cross beams (I think it was abour R250 per 6m length) and 50x50x6 angle down each side (R512 per 6m length). The Aluminium place cut everything to size for me so all I had to was drill and rivet/bolt.

For the feet I got ready made Front Runner gutter feet, because they are well made and strong and more importantly because they were by pure coincidence exactly the right height I needed (I had to match the height of the roofrack over the cab to the existing one on the canopy at the back). These were expensive at R221 each but I needed quite high ones, if you dont need as heigh they get cheaper. Of course you can make them yourself but I got lazy, plus the FrontRunner ones are known to be good.

The result is a roof rack that can carry a reasonable load (not that I intend putting a lot of stuff on the roof), but only weighs 16kgs!

Cost was just under R2000 or there abouts.

Hi

I purchased the steel today, the total weight were 33kgs.
    I reckon the weight of the steel i will use will be about 25 -28.
    So my rack will weigh about 30kg,s.
    Yesterday evening I went through my magazines and came across a ARB brochure. All their racks are made of round steel tubing.

Will start building tonight.

Cheers

Please take photos as you go, Willem.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Look in the November SA4x4 - a well designed steel and aluminium roofrack and not too heavy.

I made my own as well.

From steel. Bolts into the same place as the "rails".

It is acctually very light and sturdy. 15x30mm sq tubing
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Update on the rack

The angle iron frame is finished and painted with primer.
    The square tubing slats is cut, holes drilled for bolting onto the frame, and painted with primer. Tomorrow I`m goint to bolt it all together and start with the feet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast