Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Ah, thanks for the info. Point is, your vehicle is not supposed to have a CAT, neither a DPF. Did you have a look, whether yours does have them?
    What do you mean the Amarok doesn't have a CAT or DPF?? Thought those were standard on all vw diesels by now...
    2015 Kuga 1.5 Trend

Default Small Jackal

Thanks for sharing your experience JJ. This is the reason why I brought my Isuzu 4x4. I have been following the 4x4 comments while I was doing research on my first time buy into this field. This what happens when a company allows "die klein jakkalsies" to roam freely. You lose your most prized asset---Your client. Take that VW! You do not want me doing your marketing for you.

Bill

Well this thread cured my itch to replace my current bakkie with an Amarok. I can only hope they sort your problem soon, best of luck.

VW attributes these problems to the fact that I might be driving this vehicle uphill too often

...........you're surely joking there, right
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

It's now the "make-or-break" period which was talked about at the time the Amarok was released. (that 1st 100K) Reliability, customer service. With the rather low number of Amarok sales vs Hilux each month, the percentages of these Amarok issues is unacceptable! I can just imagine how much time & effort Mr. van der Walt had to take out of his schedule...
    Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4x4
    Conqueror Comfort

And we kind of made up our mind to buy a new Amarok...
    2011 HONDA CRV
    My platkar: Audi A4 2.0 TFSI
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1TD Ltd (retired)

I know this might seem unrelated to your problems, but does your Amawrok have a tracker installed or any other electrical/electronic extra's perhaps?
    I know this might sound trivial, but had many friends with post 2000 cars where all sorts of weird things would happen, only to find out much much later the problem was additions that was NOT installed on the correct wiring points.
    The ECU sees these devices then as problems and goes into limp mode.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

San Sebastian Peninsula, Vilanculos Mozambique

I am planning on buying one very soon. I do not care what anyone says about it, it can only be better than the two Hiluxes I sit with at the moment.
    In my opinion, even the cheapest Chinese bakkie on the market currently, is better than a Toyota.

Let me tell you, it is definately not only VW that has issues. I will not be surprised if there are a large number of Toyota owning forumites that are keeping quiet about all the troubles they have with their vehicles, just to keep bad mouthing another brand.

Thumbs down Nkotb

AMA-WREK? Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway; Let others be the guinea pig with "New Kid On The Block"
    -= Planet Earth is my Studio =- -= The bushveld is my Office =-

Quote Originally Posted by billskinner View Post
    This what happens when a company allows "die klein jakkalsies" to roam freely. You lose your most prized asset---Your client. Take that VW! You do not want me doing your marketing for you. Bill
    Whenever a manufacturer uses a dealer/agent network to distribute (sell and service) their products, they have an agreement of some sort with this dealer/agent with regards to things like the guarantees/warrantees on the product, the dealer/agents level of ability to sell and service these products etc. Normally the requirement would be that the dealer/agent must have trained sales staff, they must have a workshop with the required tools, diagnostic and other equipment, they must have properly trained and qualified technical staff, they must have sufficient spares and parts on site etc. etc. The guarantees/warrantees on the products are usually then transferred to the dealer/agent - who then transfers it to the new owner - once the product is sold. The final transaction takes place between the dealer/agent and the buyer - which means that the dealer/agent - not the manufacturer - is responsible for honoring the guarantees/warrantees - and all other obligations it might have towards the buyer in terms of it's agreement with the manufacturer, and in terms of the law. Should the buyer therefore have any claims with regards to the product he bought - his claim - in terms of the law - is against the seller - who in turn - can claim against the manufacturer if their agreement so stipulates. The buyer has no legal recourse against the manufacturer - the manufacturer was not the seller. Very few manufacturers sell directly to the end user anyway - simply because that is not their line of expertise - manufacturing is! That's why they have dealers/agents to do the selling and that is why - in most cases - they are also not allowed by their agreement with the dealer/agent to deal directly with the end user - except of course when it suits the dealer/agent!

I have work in businesses who acted as agents or who had agents for most of my life and the biggest risk one has in terms of the reputation of your product/brand, is when a dealer/agent can or does not fulfill it's obligation towards it's customer, and then blame it on the manufacturer. I see a lot of this in the motor industry and we have seen a few typical examples of this on this forum lately.

Think about it this way - if your adult child fails to pay his rent - do you think it is normal or legally acceptable/posible for the landlord to sue you for the money? After all - you conceived (manufactured?) that child!

We should be careful to blame manufacturers - the only thing they might be guilty of in cases like this, is taking too long to interfere and solve the problem on behalf of an incapable dealer/agent, and mostly they would do this to save their own reputation - not because they have a legal obligation to do so.
    Last edited by Vossie; 2012/11/05 at 08:31 AM.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    VW attributes these problems to the fact that I might be driving this vehicle uphill too often

...........you're surely joking there, right
    I wish I was joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Pambele View Post
    I am planning on buying one very soon. I do not care what anyone says about it, it can only be better than the two Hiluxes I sit with at the moment.
    In my opinion, even the cheapest Chinese bakkie on the market currently, is better than a Toyota.

Let me tell you, it is definately not only VW that has issues. I will not be surprised if there are a large number of Toyota owning forumites that are keeping quiet about all the troubles they have with their vehicles, just to keep bad mouthing another brand.
    I somehow doubt this.
    BTW, is one of those not a 10 year old+ KZTE?? And the other??
    FJC - Just Cruising

The CPA changes all that. The consumer can hold everyone in the chain of supply responsible.

Morning gents

New member first post.

THink its time to get your attorney involved. THis is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    I know this might seem unrelated to your problems, but does your Amawrok have a tracker installed or any other electrical/electronic extra's perhaps?
    I know this might sound trivial, but had many friends with post 2000 cars where all sorts of weird things would happen, only to find out much much later the problem was additions that was NOT installed on the correct wiring points.
    The ECU sees these devices then as problems and goes into limp mode.
    Wetkit,

No tracker installed. No electronic extras. This vehicle is factory standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriseleven View Post
    The CPA changes all that. The consumer can hold everyone in the chain of supply responsible.
    True, but if it is found that the dealings between the manufacturer and the dealer/agent was fair, reasonable and honost, his claim against the manufacturer has no substance. If you look at the CPA as a whole - it protects the innocent parties on either side of the line.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

In my opinion VW should rather take the vehicle of the owner and replace with something similar if the owner agree.
    Take all the lemon / problamatic Amaroks to Uitehage and let the technical guys drive them as company cars with electronic log book type units. Surely this will help them to offer a better / competitive product on the market.
    07' - Fortuner V6 4x4 Manual (Sold)
    13' - Polo Vivo Blueline
    12' - Jurgens XT120 (Sold)
    00' - Hilux 2.7 4x4 D/Cab (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Pambele View Post

all brands have issues.what makes me upset is behavior(response or non response)of vw people and ombudsman.
    there is a saying
    money drills where no tool can.if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    True, but if it is found that the dealings between the manufacturer and the dealer/agent was fair, reasonable and honost, his claim against the manufacturer has no substance. If you look at the CPA as a whole - it protects the innocent parties on either side of the line.
    As soon as they 'admit fault' on their behalf(which they have done) it IS their problem, the dealer will only 'facilitate' repairs/solution.
    Dealers are still their responsibility - they(dealers) have to act within guidelines set out by the manufacturer.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_M View Post
    What do you mean the Amarok doesn't have a CAT or DPF?? Thought those were standard on all vw diesels by now...
    I mean exactly what I said: the TDI & BiTdi Amaroks sold in southern Africa do not have a catalytic converter or a DPF. They were stripped of those components in order to make the engines more compatible with the available diesel qualities, even down to 3000 ppm diesel. The CAT and DPF are the first components to cause trouble if run on diesel with too high a sulfur content, clogging up and causing turbo failure and various non traceable ECU error messages, some of which delete themself. I had the exact same problems, including limp mode etc. on a Jeep Cherokee CRD, the previous owner used Namibian farm diesel in it.

Amaroks sold in Europe and in Australia, where the sulfur content of diesel is much lower, do have a diesel cat and DPF. You can see the difference when you look at the specs in the brochures, the European and Australian brochures state a higher EU-norm emission rating than the South African one.
    I specifically asked the dealer and the workshop did confirm that those components are NOT installed in our Amaroks. It was the main reason for me to go for a TDI rather than a TSI, since I previously had enough trouble with diesel powered vehicles in Namibia, equipped with DPFs.

The reason why most of the manufacturers try to force you to use low sulfur diesel and threaten to not honor warranty claims if you use 500 ppm diesel (or worse) are the diesel cat and DPFs.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast