Discovery 2: ZF auto gearbox pumps ATF out @ extreme angles

Question ZF auto gearbox pumps ATF out @ extreme angles

I had this happen to me twice now. When at extreme angles for a long time (say 10 minutes) and when its working hard (low range grunt work) then I have lost around 500ml of ATF. It appears to be coming out from the breather which on my 2004 D2 V8 vents at the top of the gearbox after it loops to the engine bay firewall & back.

Rave says "A breather pipe, attached to the left side of the rear extension housing, ventilates the interior of the gearbox and rear extension housings to atmosphere. The open end of the breather pipe is located in the engine compartment at the right front corner of the engine sump on gearboxes fitted to early vehicles and is clipped to the top of the gearbox on later vehicles."

I think at extreme angels the banjo fitting into the box is covered by the ATF as it runs towards the back of the box. As the box works it builds up positive air pressure which effectively pumps the ATF out of the box to the highest point which is on top of the firewall in the engine comportment. From there it runs back down to the top of the gearbox where it vents/spills. Causes a lot of mess and loads of smoke as the ATF hits hots exhaust pipes etc.

I was wondering if anyone had this problem. Seems a bit of a design flaw. Landys are supposed to work at these angles

The only solutions I could think of was to raise the breather even higher (say into the snorkel) but then that means it will build up higher pressure in the gearbox since it has to overcome a higher fluid head. Not sure if that is so wise. The other option is to make another vent in the front section of the box and teed into the breather pipes. Then no matter if I am in an extreme forward or reverse angle the box wll be able to breath properly through at least 1 of the vents, and without pumping any ATF out
    1998 Defender Tdi Hard Top with ARB rear locker aka Slasher
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat
    2012 Disco 4 V8 HSE aka Rocky

bump
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat

Very intresting... Never happened to me
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd Manual.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Here is the angle. Anyone willing to test their D2 to see if they also have the same issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Oilrag View Post
    Here is the angle. Anyone willing to test their D2 to see if they also have the same issue?
    Oooo. The same as the engine oil light fred....?
    At what angle was that about?
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd Manual.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Yes same occasion. That is why I switched the engine off - I wanted to see where the ATF was coming from. When we switched back on then the oil pressure issue came up. So 1 occasion - 2 issues!

Not sure of the angle but when i got out I had to get some to hold the drivers door. I could not open it from the inside because of the weight. I would guess around 35-40 degrees - maybe even more.