Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Lexus muscle

Default Re: Lexus muscle

There is a company in UK that are also doing extra mods to the R380 different oil pump looks like, also modified the oil ring even more,larger oil gallery to feed more oil, as well as the 2 bigger bearings at the back, and also using Ashcroft rebuild kits
    When I rebuilt my R380 K,L I asked ashcroft if they would supply just the bigger bearings and they donít, which was a bummer
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

I'll duck out. Obviously you know everything as stated. Have a nice year.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    There is a company in UK that are also doing extra mods to the R380 different oil pump looks like, also modified the oil ring even more,larger oil gallery to feed more oil, as well as the 2 bigger bearings at the back, and also using Ashcroft rebuild kits
    When I rebuilt my R380 K,L I asked ashcroft if they would supply just the bigger bearings and they donít, which was a bummer
    Yes Clive that is correct. I know Syncro as well as'n Ashcroft do plenty of upgrade parts but the true value lies in Ashcroft upgraded bearings. I have also tried speaking to Dave and they won't sell them seperately. His reasoning is that the casing needs to be machined... However I suspect it has to do with the fact that it may simply be a larger uprated Timken bearing. At one stage we considered bringing one in to strip and check but have subsequently never needed it since doing upgrading oil capacity and cooling.

Who are the guys you are referring to? Syncro? Always keen to learn and check out some more suppliers.
    Rowan Alexander

http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Alxrow001 View Post
    Who are the guys you are referring to? Syncro? Always keen to learn and check out some more suppliers.
    https://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Yes Clive that is correct. I know Syncro as well as'n Ashcroft do plenty of upgrade parts but the true value lies in Ashcroft upgraded bearings. I have also tried speaking to Dave and they won't sell them seperately. His reasoning is that the casing needs to be machined... However I suspect it has to do with the fact that it may simply be a larger uprated Timken bearing. At one stage we considered bringing one in to strip and check but have subsequently never needed it since doing upgrading oil capacity and cooling.

Introducing the WINCHESTER HEAVY DUTY R380 💪

With the success of our stage 1 & 2 LT230s we have been getting lots of requests for an uprated R380. So here it is.

We looked at all the common problems and failures with this box and set to work looking at the best way to overcome and improve.

The late suffix K & L with the bigger bearings was the obvious foundation to start with.

The gearboxes consist of a complete OEM rebuild with all basic components changed.

Pinion taper bearing
    Main shaft taper bearings
    Layshaft taper bearings
    Main shaft Rear support block roller bearing
    Layshaft rear support block roller bearing
    1st gear needle roller bearing
    2nd gear needle roller bearing
    3rd gear needle roller bearing
    5th gear needle roller bearing
    Reverse needle roller bearing
    1st Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    2nd Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    3rd Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    4th Gear syncro ring
    5th Gear syncro ring
    Reverse Gear syncro ring
    1st & 2nd shift plates
    3nd & 4th shift plates
    5th & Reverse shift plates
    X6 Gear hub clips
    Main shaft circlip
    Mainshaft locking coaler
    Oil pump
    Oil gallery ORings
    Input seal
    Output seal
    Oil filter

The upgrades are the following.

* Uprated rear support bearings on both layshaft and Mainshaft a 31% increase to the dynamic load rating.
    * 15% Larger oil galleries on the Mainshaft allowing better oil flow and delivery to all gears.
    * Modified Ashcroft oil feed ring. A much improved feed ring that ensures oil is fed directly down the main-shaft.
    * Doweled selector, adding strength and solid fixture to the selector shaft. Preventing common issue of sloppy gear changes.
    * External MOCAL oil cooler kit with braided hose and HEL fittings beautifully put together by PIONEER 4x4 This allows for the box to run cooler temperatures and an extra 0.5l - 1l of oil.

We have built a first batch of 4 and they are going out into the field for testing this week by 4 independent guys. We will be experimenting with different Swepco Oil grades to determine what we think is best for the job. These Gearboxes have been designed for competition use or hard working high powered Land Rovers.

Once we are happy with our testing they will be available for pre order.

TD5 Defender/Discovery
    300 tdi Defender/Discovery
    V8
    Stumpy
    The Complete Price including cooler will retail at £1500+Vat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6A9D360-B5EC-4066-A415-3C937725A6C6.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	600661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59A18235-8E11-43A2-92B8-E0AF0A938C2F.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	600662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	849ED07A-6282-42EE-BCEE-EFF6C002CA0A.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	600663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FDE0D584-40AB-472F-A39D-28FEADFE4D2E.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	600664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45043547-9280-4B3B-9D2C-91223E7C9544.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	600665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C5FAE1C-D196-4120-A0CB-D2C0EBDF6F6F.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	600666  
    Last edited by clivemd; 2020/12/31 at 07:52 AM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

However I suspect it has to do with the fact that it may simply be a larger uprated Timken bearing.
    https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.c...xes/r-380.html

Scroll down a little bit for pictures of the bearings, they look pretty standard to me, one of them may have a bushing to reduce diameter, but very "off the shelf" looking, nonetheless.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Beesblaas View Post
    Jakes Rowan has been running a 550nm 6.0 V8 in his 110 with a R380 box for 2 years plus.
    Makes me wonder if this "R380 can only handle 380nm" thing is not intentional misinformation for some reason.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Introducing the WINCHESTER HEAVY DUTY R380

With the success of our stage 1 & 2 LT230s we have been getting lots of requests for an uprated R380. So here it is.

We looked at all the common problems and failures with this box and set to work looking at the best way to overcome and improve.

The late suffix K & L with the bigger bearings was the obvious foundation to start with.

The gearboxes consist of a complete OEM rebuild with all basic components changed.

Pinion taper bearing
    Main shaft taper bearings
    Layshaft taper bearings
    Main shaft Rear support block roller bearing
    Layshaft rear support block roller bearing
    1st gear needle roller bearing
    2nd gear needle roller bearing
    3rd gear needle roller bearing
    5th gear needle roller bearing
    Reverse needle roller bearing
    1st Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    2nd Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    3rd Gear 3 parts syncro rings
    4th Gear syncro ring
    5th Gear syncro ring
    Reverse Gear syncro ring
    1st & 2nd shift plates
    3nd & 4th shift plates
    5th & Reverse shift plates
    X6 Gear hub clips
    Main shaft circlip
    Mainshaft locking coaler
    Oil pump
    Oil gallery ORings
    Input seal
    Output seal
    Oil filter

The upgrades are the following.

* Uprated rear support bearings on both layshaft and Mainshaft a 31% increase to the dynamic load rating.
    * 15% Larger oil galleries on the Mainshaft allowing better oil flow and delivery to all gears.
    * Modified Ashcroft oil feed ring. A much improved feed ring that ensures oil is fed directly down the main-shaft.
    * Doweled selector, adding strength and solid fixture to the selector shaft. Preventing common issue of sloppy gear changes.
    * External MOCAL oil cooler kit with braided hose and HEL fittings beautifully put together by PIONEER 4x4 This allows for the box to run cooler temperatures and an extra 0.5l - 1l of oil.

We have built a first batch of 4 and they are going out into the field for testing this week by 4 independent guys. We will be experimenting with different Swepco Oil grades to determine what we think is best for the job. These Gearboxes have been designed for competition use or hard working high powered Land Rovers.

Once we are happy with our testing they will be available for pre order.

TD5 Defender/Discovery
    300 tdi Defender/Discovery
    V8
    Stumpy
    The Complete Price including cooler will retail at £1500+Vat
    Novice when it come to this type of upgrade , but if this is needed to ď upgrade a R380 gearbox it is obvious not suited for a more powerful setup and then Jelo is right and a more powerful or auto box will be more suited
    Using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LRwit View Post
    Makes me wonder if this "R380 can only handle 380nm" thing is not intentional misinformation for some reason.
    Remember, with enough force applied, you can break your own finger off in your nostril....

Mechanical sympathy is the term used to differentiate between those who would kill a push mower to those who can drive that 550nm 6.0 V8 in his 110 with a R380 box for 2 years plus.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I does not have any experience on the Land Rover gearbox in discussion. I believe what Clive says regarding upgrades.

Have done several gearbox mods in my life. Latest were the Borg Warner T5 in the Plat Rangertjie. It holds up to 230kw and 500nm with lots of abuse. Installed a Mustang gearset with bearing upgrade.

I know of many successful R151 upgrades in Land Cruisers and Hiluxes.

I have learned one thing that the size of the gears in the box gives you a good indication of what torque it would be able to handle.

By the look of it the R380 box can be made to handle serious power.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/01/03 at 09:37 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Novice when it come to this type of upgrade , but if this is needed to ď upgrade a R380 gearbox it is obvious not suited for a more powerful setup and then Jelo is right and a more powerful or auto box will be more suited
    Jelo never owned a Landy with a Chevy V8 conversion so what makes him the expert? You argue with gents who actually own and drive Landies with that exact setup? That makes no sense maar ja, glo vir jellie, hy glo hy weet alles.
    HENK

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Default Lexus muscle

Hey Gary, any reason why you don't use the stock R380 box?
    Dude..... that was back in 2013.... Ive gotten over the Lexus lump and moved on the the GMC 6.5 V8 diesel ( way more fun)

Why didnít I use the R380....
    Firstly, Iím a bit of a stingy git and try use what I have lying around. I had an R380 but it had blue gears (cooked -low oil)
    Secondly, making adaptor plates is way easier if you donít have to bugger around with the clutch.
    Thirdly, at the time (2013) there were a lot of stories about the raw power of Lexus eating clutches and and and.....

I had a spare 700R with a lefty chain drive TC I basically had everything I needed to pop the autobox in. Also... fitting a lefty TC allowed me to centralise the Lexus lump which solved the exhaust problems
    The reason I wanted to drop the 700R and fit the 4L60 was quite stupid...
    the 4L60 has a chain drive TC (lefty) and....
    The 700R was eating flex plates (3)
    I eventually found out (after I sold it), that the cowboy who supplied said 700R, modified it to manual shift- ie. I was pulling away/planting it in 4th

I canít imagine driving a Lexfender with a manual gearbox, Rob (Hagu13) has an auto in his 90 and that things damn near impossible to control if you plant it (on tar... on sand it just digs holes)

I have a R380 on the back of my GMC but thatís how I got it (out of a Rangy toy)
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2021/01/03 at 09:49 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Dude..... that was back in 2013.... I gotten over the Lexus lump and moved on the the GMC 6.5 V8 diesel ( way more fun)

Why didnít I use the R380....
    Firstly, Iím a bit of a stingy git and try use what I have lying around. I had an R380 but it had blue gears (cooked -low oil)
    Secondly, making adaptor plates is way easier if you donít have to bugger around with the clutch.
    Thirdly, at the time (2013) there were a lot of stories about the raw power of Lexus eating clutches and and and.....

I had a spare 700R with a lefty chain drive TC I basically had everything I needed to pop the autobox in. Also... fitting a lefty TC allowed me to centralise the Lexus lump which solved the exhaust problems
    The reason I wanted to drop the 700R and fit the 4L60 was quite stupid...
    the 4L60 has a chain drive TC (lefty) and....
    The 700R was eating flex plates (3)
    I eventually found out (after I sold it), that the cowboy who supplied said 700R, modified it to manual shift- ie. I was pulling away/planting it in 4th

I canít imagine driving a Lexfender with a manual gearbox, Rob (Hagu13) has an auto in his 90 and that things damn near impossible to control if you plant it (on tar... on sand it just digs holes)

I have a R380 on the back of my GMC but thatís how I got it (out of a Rangy toy)

Thanks Gary. Seemed a big job to covert to LH Drop TC and P38 diff all to get a Lexus autobox and TC in 😂

However, your explanation makes sense now. Build costs can quickly skyrocket and being able to use what you have and do what you can certainly helps. Tx for the feedback.
    Rowan Alexander

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Alxrow001 For This Useful Post:

One think I will say (without getting drawn into a debate) is that the early/first gen R380ís (1994 J suffix - skinny layshaft), quickly earned a reputation as being a weak box. Land Rover figured that it was oil related and chose to ďbulk upĒ everything.......

Johno posted some nice pics of what happens to the pinion gear if you run low oil.....(his is the 3rd box Iíve seen- read my earlier comment about ďblue gearsĒ

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

@Beesblaas apparently I need to change it to LT85.... Wana do your 2.8i at the same time?
    I know the Landy guys will kill me. H55 or H151 from a Cruiser with their gear driven transfer cases will be a good option. Both boxes are super strong. They are both rated as the strongest manual 4x4 boxes available in SA.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I know the Landy guys will kill me. H55 or H151 from a Cruiser with their gear driven transfer cases will be a good option. Both boxes are super strong. They are both rated as the strongest manual 4x4 boxes available in SA.
    Do you have any last words?
    Rowan Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Johno posted some nice pics of what happens to the pinion gear if you run low oil.....(his is the 3rd box Iíve seen- read my earlier comment about ďblue gearsĒ
    Ja, all from a pinhole in one of the cooler pipes...
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...14#post4520014
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Default Lexus muscle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2648.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	601126

I did mention that I had a 4L60.......just sitting on the shelf, waiting for a home (actually had a 4y connected to it at one stage )
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2021/01/05 at 10:39 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8