Which Landy is the best on sand? - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Default Re: Which Landy is the best on sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterzanshin View Post
    so general consensus here is that a petrol engine is better for sand?

why?

i went to AD in both my d1 300tdi and d3v8

d1 was manual but worked well except i was a rubbish driver, d3 is in another class but same rubbish driver..
    ... in most such respects ... and terrains... my 3.5L RRover would be superior to my TD5 130 Defender
    Except wrt economy, cost and in water ...
    ... and TD5 May also have edge in top cruising speed ...
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    Ď1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    Ď1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    Ď2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

https://youtu.be/RMdxXd95jlA
    Two very capable vehicles , yet both got stuck. Lack of experience ?
    1997 Defender 300Tdi pickup
    2009 Puma 90 (mine)
    2011 Puma 110 (swambo`s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise one View Post
    https://youtu.be/RMdxXd95jlA
    Two very capable vehicles , yet both got stuck. Lack of experience ?
    They will only learn to drive in sand if they learn to find the 0.6bar indication on their tyre pressure gauges.

Two 2.8i`s on a very long steep dune only three 4x4 made it to the top that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZsCFl3Gbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JuBYcHLz2o
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by schalkvdm View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a D3 V8 in the sand/dunes? How capable are they for that?
    Been towing a jet ski ( with all the bells and whistles for deep sea fishing ) on sand , very capable and much better than double cabs , did not do a lot off dunes but the easy way she performs on the beach I am sure long dunes should not be a problem . Had a 2.8 Defender and she is right up there with the Defender if not better ( more power , torque and speed ) not much difference in fuel consumption as well . Gave her a lift and next set of tyres will be 18x65 or 70 profile MT,s if I can get . I thing she will be up there with the best
    Using Tapatalk

Bit off topic , and a lot off LR drivers will not agree , but I think the d3 v8 is better than the Defender with rock crawling as well . The only criteria where the Defender were better was driving over trees
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Bit off topic , and a lot off LR drivers will not agree , but I think the d3 v8 is better than the Defender with rock crawling as well . The only criteria where the Defender were better was driving over trees
    I had a D4 V8 for a few years and I have taken both my Td5 Defender and D4 to Mozam and the Td5 at .8 bar killed the D4. If you know how to drive a Defender it would knock a D3 or D4 any day of the week. My busines partner also had a D4 V8 and he rated it as the best 4x4 ever in sand but that's because he knows nothing about 4x4 driving and just needs to put it in sand mode and take DSC off.

Even my partner was shocked that a 90kw Defender with proper tyres at the right pressure made it look so easy when a 294kw Disco 4 with General Grabbers shat itself just trying to start off from a standstill in thick sand.

With regards to rocks, the Disco 3 and 4s low profile tyres are its let down. The Terrain response is awesome but doesn't help when you have shredded your sidewalls. No match for a 3 ply sidewall 285/75 16 on a Defender.

Ps neither will be good at tall dunes.
    Last edited by Byron; 2020/05/03 at 06:56 PM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:

Byron.

My experience is the same as yours.

I've done sand in a D4 together with a DC. The DC was a lot better, the D4 is simply too heavy with rubbish tyres.

I've also done mud and rock crawling in D3 together with two Defenders. The Defenders were better by a mile, again too heavy with rubbish tyres, and for rock crawling the D3 was too vulnerable. I knocked a hole in the gearbox on a road that we had traveled many, many times in various other vehicles, I also damaged the compressor off road.

For light off-roading, i.e gravel roads and farm tracks. The D3/4 was more comfortable.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/05/03 at 06:24 PM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Byron.

My experience is the same as yours.

I've done sand in a D4 together with a DC. The DC was a lot better, the D4 is simply too heavy with rubbish tyres.

I've also done mud and rock crawling in D3 together with two Defenders. The Defenders were better by a mile, again too heavy with rubbish tyres, and for rock crawling the D3 was too vulnerable. I knocked a hole in the gearbox on a road that we had traveled many, many times in various other vehicles, I also damaged the compressor off road.

For light off-roading, i.e gravel roads and farm tracks. The D3/4 was more comfortable.
    100% . D4 was by far the most comfortable vehicle I've had and that's the sole reason we even took it to Mozam because my GF wanted to take her girlfriends and I felt bad sticking them in the back of 110DC with mud tyres.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I had a D4 V8 for a few years and I have taken both my Td5 Defender and D4 to Mozam and the Td5 at .8 bar killed the D4. If you know how to drive a Defender it would knock a D3 or D4 any day of the week. My busines partner also had a D4 V8 and he rated it as the best 4x4 ever in sand but that's because he knows nothing about 4x4 driving and just needs to put it in sand mode and take DSC off.

Even my partner was shocked that a 90kw Defender with proper tyres at the right pressure made it look so easy when a 294kw Disco 4 with General Grabbers shat itself just trying to start off from a standstill in thick sand.

With regards to rocks, the Disco 3 and 4s low profile tyres are its let down. The Terrain response is awesome but doesn't help when you have shredded your sidewalls. No match for a 3 ply sidewall 285/75 16 on a Defender.

Thanks that is my experience as well. In the numerous sand/dune trips I have done I cannot remember one SUV that could out pace normal 4x4`s in soft sand with high middelmannetjies.

Most of them have serious horse power and power is not the problem. As said in a previous post they are all under tyred.
    If you can fit something like 33 x 12.5 or 35`s on rims not larger than 17 inch nothing will stop them. It is all about flotation and tyre pressures.

Not to forget the type of sand and dunes. Like the Namib SUV`s normally do good there were you have long run ups and a harder sand texture.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

Tyreís are a deal breaker , but never had any problems in sand with my 265/60/18 and havenít lost a tyre yet , 285/70/18 mt,s will make a huge difference though , and I am going that route . I fail to see why the v8 will not do well on long dunes . I think a natural aspirated v8 is most probably better in sand than the v8 supercharger and obviously the 285/55/19 is a letdown
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Thanks that is my experience as well. In the numerous sand/dune trips I have done I cannot remember one SUV that could out pace normal 4x4`s in soft sand with high middelmannetjies.

Most of them have serious horse power and power is not the problem. As said in a previous post they are all under tyred.
    If you can fit something like 33 x 12.5 or 35`s on rims not larger than 17 inch nothing will stop them. It is all about flotation and tyre pressures.

Not to forget the type of sand and dunes. Like the Namib SUV`s normally do good there were you have long run ups and a harder sand texture.
    Had a friend with a petrol Nissan Patrol kicking our backsides in the kalahari sand dunes . Mazda , colt 2.8 , Nissan hardbody all dc 4x4 . No comparison
    Using Tapatalk

Doing a 600km tweespoor paadjie down to Moz in the Defender towing a Explorer I must say it really came into itís own, the suspension was just unreal And when my friend in his td5 defender lost his way around a corner and went over 3 trees we were clad it was a defender . Only damage was his ego and a straf dop
    Using Tapatalk

Tyreís are a deal breaker , but never had any problems in sand with my 265/60/18 and havenít lost a tyre yet , 285/70/18 mt,s will make a huge difference though , and I am going that route . I fail to see why the v8 will not do well on long dunes . I think a natural aspirated v8 is most probably better in sand than the v8 supercharger and obviously the 285/55/19 is a letdown
    Surely if you're going for good sand performance, you should be looking at AT's not MT's? And not sure why the NA V8 would be better than the supercharged one? Control?
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Surely if you're going for good sand performance, you should be looking at AT's not MT's? And not sure why the NA V8 would be better than the supercharged one? Control?
    Not only sand Iím a vaalie , and they look so nice . No lag and a more smooth power band
    Using Tapatalk

Not only sand Iím a vaalie , and they look so nice . No lag and a more smooth power band
    OK! Understood. But the supercharged shouldn't have much lag at all. Different to turbocharged.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

You will battle to find any lag on the super charged....instant torque anywhere in the rev range
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    OK! Understood. But the supercharged shouldn't have much lag at all. Different to turbocharged.
    Havenít driven one , so n bit of a assumption because of bad reviews here , mine is excellent on sand , obviously a 4x4 with 30 inch plus tires will have a big advantage, reason why I want to up to 70 profile . Question , if you put a novice behind a 4x4 , in which will he do the best , hi tech or old school . Now , a experience driver will rightfully think that he does not need hi tech , but the better car should still be the hi tech
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    You will battle to find any lag on the super charged....instant torque anywhere in the rev range
    yep, no lag - you have to be super careful with the throttle, otherwise you just dig holes

Last edited by Orxy; 2020/05/06 at 09:56 AM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11