Challenge all members to support Rhinose

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Challenge all members to support Rhinose

Today I saw in my local paper an article about a fundraiser that will be held over the last 3 months of the year, to raise funds and awareness for RAGE (Rhino Action Group Effort), EWT (Endangered Wildlife Trust) and Rhinose Foundation.
    I place a challenge to all 4x4 community members to go to your local CNA and purchase a Rhinose and display it on your 4x4. It is the least we can do to support this very serious cause. If we could all sport flags and mirror socks for the Soccer World Cup, so can we too sport a Rhinose in support of this cause.

http://rhinoseday.com/

Extract from their web...

Rhinose Day

Rhinose Day is an annual public fundraiser held over the last three months of the year to raise funds and awareness for rhinos in particular, and the wider fight against poaching and false medicinal myths in general. Although we focus on rhino conservation, the plight of these giants is a symbol of the broader range of threats facing all wildlife and wilderness areas.
    This campaign allows everyone to contribute by purchasing a stylized plastic Rhinose™ that can be safely mounted with cable ties on the grille of your car, 4x4, or even your company’s delivery truck.
    The Rhinose™ costs just R30 and we guarantee that 75% of your money will directly reach the stated objectives. That’s R22.50 going straight to the cause, so let’s give it horns for rhinos by getting yours from CNA stores from the 15th of October 2012.The Rhinose
    Rhinose Day is a joint initiative of three non-profit organisations: the Rhino Action Group Effort (RAGE), the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT) and the Rhinose Foundation.
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

The R22 goes straight to the cause. Where does it go to then?

Dirk, as per their web site, there is a detailed break down of where the money goes. Here is an extract...

How the Funds Will Be Spent
    Funds will be channeled to ongoing efforts on the ground to combat poaching via two conservation organizations, Rhino Action Group Effort (RAGE), who receive 25%, and the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT), who will also receive 25%.
    Another 25% will be devoted to educating as many key people as possible about rhinos and wildlife in general by the Rhinose Foundation.
    The remaining 25% covers all costs of Rhinose production, running the campaign and the administration of the Foundation.
    We intend running programmes for traditional medicine practitioners from the East and are garnering the financial support and philosophical guidance of the many Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Taoist associations in Asia and other parts of the world.
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

was just about to post something asking about this! Saw one on an Audi yesterday and i wanna get one!
    Jimny 2012

Jonno99, Im getting mine today!
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up

Too hit and miss for me.
    Pity there was no enthusiasm for donating waterproof torches for the NSRI.
    People are strange. 10 letters to torch dealers, scuba clubs and a few fishing clubs and not a single donation!
    Save the dung beetle and people throw money at a bank account in bucket fulls.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Going to see if I can find one at Canal Walk at lunch time.
    Jimny 2012

Still, someone is making a 25% margin out of this.......
    There are so many rhino fundraisers going on it is bewildering. Saw a story in the paper not too long ago about all the scams too

Go and have a look at the web site http://rhinoseday.com/ and then have a look at the beneficiary web sites. The beneficiary web sites refer back to Rhinose and the Beneficiaries have also been in the media for the their initiatives, and have track records for things they have doneI was initially sceptical, but after doing some checking up, it all seems legit.I am sure that it costs a fortune to do Rhino anti poaching patrols, educate communities etc... every Rand helpsAnd you can boast a great rhino horn on your 4x4 grill
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up

OK you convinced me

Couldn't find a thread where members can post their Rhinose's

Here's mine

2012 FJ Cruiser Sold
    2006 Discovery 3

"My favourite car is the next one" - Enzo Ferrari

You need to get a bigger nose for that Toyoy
    06' Ranger Xlt 2.5td

Yes. We have 3.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Last night I attended our monthly SA hunters and Game Conservation Association meeting where we handed a cheque of just more than R10000-00 that was donated by members on the west rand over to a member of the executive comity of SAHunters responsible for conservation. He is a professor teaching conservation at Tswane University of Technology. He told us in my own words that there are currently thousands of groups worldwide who proclaims to fight Rhino poaching and that many of them is in fact a business making money out of the rhinos plight.
    I am not saying that, that is the case with RAGE and I applaud each and every one that supports them.
    I will however not buy one as I prefer to give my money to an organization that I believe will spend it effectively without anyone else getting rich and the rhino getting the small change.
    I also believe that until the SA government stops talking and start to actively take interest and or action the successes against rhino poaching will be very limited.

Sorry about the hijack

25% profit and free "educational trips" to the Far East.

Count me in!
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

Gee S, I agree with you.

But I don't know what goes on in these bodies. So yes, I soothed my conscience.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    25% profit and free "educational trips" to the Far East.

Count me in!
    You got it right in one try. First prize goes to Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Gee S, I agree with you.

But I don't know what goes on in these bodies. So yes, I soothed my conscience.
    Henris, nothing wrong with that. At least you put your money on the table and I am convinced that at least some of it will be used as intended.

We can only hope that our donations are going to the right place

We just returned from Kruger yesterday and while staying at Satara (3 Nights), this helicopter which is based there was flying non stop, even throughout the night. We visit Kruger often and I have never seen such visible anti-poaching units. On the ground and in the air.

We spoke to one of the rangers at Satara yesterday morning and he said that 2 poachers had been killed and 4 arrested during our 3 day stay

2012 FJ Cruiser Sold
    2006 Discovery 3

"My favourite car is the next one" - Enzo Ferrari

Funny enough I have tried 3 CNA's to get a few & am yet to find them!
    They all seem to know about it but dont have stock!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast