Pajero Drawer System

Default Pajero Drawer System

Hi - OK, so I have decided to keep the Pajero and not fall for the new one. But now I want to kit her out a bit and am looking at fitting a drawer system. Safari Centre quotes me R14 000 for an African Outback system - I used to have one in my Colt and love their products. The quality is good and the layout practical. My one concern, however, is my fridge. I have an 80L Engel which is 551cm high. It also cannot fit into the back of the Pajero length wise, so it has to fit width wise. Apparently the Outback drawer system does not cater for this. An option is to fit a fridge slide on top of the drawer system to take the Engel but I am not too keen on that, mainly due to the practicalities if the system is not in use. What do Pajero owners, generally, go for - drawer system and fridge wise. I am notoriously impractical, not mechanically minded and lazy so building my own system is not an option 8) I would love to hear what the other guys do.
    2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 TX
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser VX100 4.2TD
    2009 Jurgens Xplorer Anniversary Ed No.144

I built a slide with two drawers next to the slide. Currently the slide will house the Coleman but later on the Fridge. then I can pack everything on top of the packing system. Here is a pic of my first "novice" attempt. I already have ideas of building a lighter version but that will have to wait until next year me reckons. I had to raise it by 115mm in order to avoid the brackets for the 3rd row of seats, I plan to put a water tank there if I can find one the right size. The length of the coleman slide is 825mm, maybe your fridge will fit?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Gerbek,

Very neat.

How do you fix it to the floor and what made you decide on the hight of the bottom gap? Did you make your own fridge slide or did you make your own?

Hey Roelf. I am experimenting with the fixing but now I use the two isofix points (for the kiddies chair) with those twin threaded hooky things (don't know the technical term ) and then at the front I use the two tie down hooks with either the aforementioned thingys or cable ties. I will try both on my next trip.

I made my own slide with rather heavy 18mm plywood (had enough left over) and some alu angle stuff with some pop rivets. It was pretty easy. I would have preferred to use some 12mm or even 9mm to make it lighter but for now I am happy.

The height underneath was calculated so that I could maximise the width, if you look closely you will see the plastic sides/walls of the boot are widest about 115mm from the boot floor. I decided to leave the seats in the boot and rather use the space underneath to pack flat things when camping.

Excuse the poor carpeting work, I am not an upholsterer but I have cleaned it up since the pics were taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0031.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	172581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0039.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	172582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00218-20121007-1209.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	172583  
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Very simple and worked well enough on our two weeks through Botswana and Namibia. Need to find another type of plastic container for the stuff in the box next to the fridge.. oh and this is a Gen 2..but should give you and idea..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Hi,

Nice to see the different formats for the packing systems, here is a link to what I did with my LWB Gen3, excellent mod to do.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=39499

Cheers

David

Going there, doing that.....There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.....so leave NOW!

David, I liked your idea, but our LWB is lifted and runs 32's, _and_ my swambo is on the short side, hence the fridge would have been too high to access, hence putting the fridge on the bottom..

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Hell with you guys around I dont have to do a lot of thinking, just copy and paste.
    Nissan Navara v9x - Good for towing, not good for driving into trees, good bye old friend.
    Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost - For the wife.
    80 Series cruiser - To use the fuel I save on the other two.
    Hilux - Work mobile

Heimrich Swart

Brilliant products are ruined by incompetent suppliers.

Default Drop down fridge slide

Here is a good solution to the high fridge for the not so tall :-)

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=102699

And here is a very nice 1 too with a little slide out tray. There are alot of great takes on the drawer system just on 4x4community, Allegro has a what I think is 1 of the nicest for the Gen3/4 Paj which is very practical too.

Here is that video link to the cool drop down fridge slide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljt350hDCSI

1 more suggestion to consider is to get the height of the packing system to be the same height as the 2nd row seats when folded flat that way you could use the rear of the Paj as a sleeping area if required for overnight or when SWAMBO doesn't like Hyenas say at 3rd bridge or Lions in Zim, nice constant flat surface.

Just check the measurements on my original post as the Connect-IT pieces have changed ever so slightly from when I did mine which means the that the aluminim needs to be +- 2mm shorter than what I detailed for the new connect-it pieces as the stem of the unit is slightly longer in general.

Cheers

David
    Last edited by Davidvan; 2012/10/25 at 09:37 PM.

Going there, doing that.....There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.....so leave NOW!

I'm planning a replacement for the packing system I built some time back. This one will include a water tank and will integrate my second auxiliary battery system.

Oh and a decent sub
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Yup, ours was done in a day by FIL, needs some adjustments, and isn't perfect, but works for now

I have a few other things to fix first

I picked up a brand new outback drawer system for my Defender for about 1/2 the price that the Pajero's would have cost and the fridge would not be a issue anymore due to the extra space and height of the Defender's roof. That made a lot more sense to me and I just paid the deposit for the system for my Defender. Will be way more packing space as well due to the extra depth of the drawers. Will post pics (well, maybe I'm in the wrong thread then, OK - will post in the Land Rover thread)
    2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 TX
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser VX100 4.2TD
    2009 Jurgens Xplorer Anniversary Ed No.144