Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I actually have a Formula - as long as the power to weight (W/Kg) is above 70, it has enough power.
    Car Mag often posts Power to Weight factors in it lists near the back...
    Manny, daar is bitter min Diesel Double Cabs wat in die katogorie val, inteendeel, is daar? Of praat jy van die X5, LR en Porches net om 'n paar te noem? Ford wat 147kw uitstoot is 67 as ek reg onthou. Petrol sal die Navara en Toyota sekerlik wees.

Does the new Isuzu have ESP?
    After experiencing ESP on Namibia gravel roads, I would not want to buy a new bakkie without it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJE View Post
    After experiencing ESP on Namibia gravel roads, I would not want to buy a new bakkie without it.
    How do you experience ESP on gravel roads, think it's all in your mind.
    Mercedes G Class 5 door
    W123 230e
    Vesa PX150

The new Kb does not have it. Yet its not as tail happy as my 3.7 KJ. If you know how to handle a vehicle, this would not really be a deal breaker.
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by burchell View Post
    How do you experience ESP on gravel roads, think it's all in your mind.
    Burchell, Strange statement - Do you even know what esp is?

I had to avoid a collision at speed and the ESP made it a lot easier to recover. And I spent months on Gerotek's dynamic handling wet and dry tracks etc. so am reasonably able to recover from a dificcult situation.

Even if one knows how to "handle a vehicle", (which remarkably few drivers can do, especially those who boast about their driving abilities) modern safety features are there to save lives.

Isuzu must be taking their customers for fools for not offering esp. All the new bakkies offer it in some models.

Burchell, Strange statement - Do you even know what esp is?

I had to avoid a collision at speed and the ESP made it a lot easier to recover. And I spent months on Gerotek's dynamic handling wet and dry tracks etc. so am reasonably able to recover from a dificcult situation.

Even if one knows how to "handle a vehicle", (which remarkably few drivers can do, especially those who boast about their driving abilities) modern safety features are there to save lives.

Isuzu must be taking their customers for fools for not offering esp. All the new bakkies offer it in some models.
    I agree with you. I was disappointed to see that they did not offer it across the range. Even with VSC you can still crash and I agree on slippery terrain (wet gravel/Clay) it can save you.

Usually the more experienced drivers on this sort of terrain will drive a bit faster and according to them, still be within their comfort levels.

The KB did great on the dynamic handling course that was set out for us, however, it was done on tar. We (as most journos) did do it at about 50% the intended speed and the bakkies felt pretty good. Even the Emergency stop from 140kph, with no hands (still close enough to grab) on the wheel was very acceptable with it tracking dead straight.

Its a good vehicle and Id love to do a shootout between it and the Trok.
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

Isuzu is probably working on ESP and will probably offer it soon.

I want to like the new Isuzu. Learned to drive in them on farm roads and we had lots of fun in them.
    So I hope they got it right.

Yes, all these things (Airbags, ESP, ABS etc) are designed for safety and to try and override human error in some way.

ABS can help you stop faster on some surfaces and but other on surfaces it could actually lengthen your stopping distance.

I seen some useless traction controls in some cars.

All these things are computers, your brain is much faster.

4H is enough on a gravel road, ESP won't make a difference.

ESP can't override worn shocks/tyres and bad road handling/design.

Don't make so much about ESP.
    Mercedes G Class 5 door
    W123 230e
    Vesa PX150

Finally mine is at the dealer !! Just have to have the load box done with a polyurethane lining, delivery hopefully tomorrow afternoon or Wed morning latest.
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Default New Isuzu KB6 coming to RSA 2013

The motor car is over 125 years old.

In only the last 10% of the motor vehicle's existance have we had Euro NCAP ratings, ABS, EBD, VSC, ESP, HDC, SRS Airbag, etc...
    And those 3 lettered terms have only been available in bakkies in the last 5 years or so.
    Now we won't buy a vehicle without them.

Best selling vehicles like Golf1/CitiGolf, Nissan 1400 bakkie, VW Beetle, Model T Ford, Ford Mustangs, Ford F150 Pick Up, Ford Capri, etc all had NOTHING.
    And yet, here we all are...

My Fortuner has VSC & ABS - have never used either... Doubt I'll ever use the Airbags.

Default New Isuzu KB6 coming to RSA 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Finally mine is at the dealer !! Just, delivery hopefully tomorrow afternoon or Wed morning latest.
    Post the Pics & I'll get you the Forum Stickers - with my compliments...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    The motor car is over 125 years old.

In only the last 10% of the motor vehicle's existance have we had Euro NCAP ratings, ABS, EBD, VSC, ESP, HDC, SRS Airbag, etc...
    And those 3 lettered terms have only been available in bakkies in the last 5 years or so.
    Now we won't buy a vehicle without them.

Best selling vehicles like Golf1/CitiGolf, Nissan 1400 bakkie, VW Beetle, Model T Ford, Ford Mustangs, Ford F150 Pick Up, Ford Capri, etc all had NOTHING.
    And yet, here we all are...

My Fortuner has VSC & ABS - have never used either... Doubt I'll ever use the Airbags.
    My opinion?

I agree with you Manny. My Isuzu has none of these things, and I have never felt as if it was out of control. Except for once when I was really pushing it a little, I could feel the unloaded back trying to go past the front. But I was alone on a corrugated road, on a sharp turn, going a little faster than I should have been going.

After this last holiday where I drove a number of gravel roads, its no surprise to me that some people want ESP, etc. Many people I drove past on those roads just don't have any respect for a gravel road, driving at crazy speeds. I BARELY missed a red 4x4 (not gonna mention a brand name) that came round a SHARP corner at huge speed. I could SEE the electronic systems working, scrabbling to regain control. One wheel then the other almost locking up and letting go, but there was too many loose pebbles on the road and he was going WAY too fast. If I wasn't driving as slowly as I was, giving me time to get out of the way, we would have hit each other. For sure. And it was a LOOOOONG drop down on his side.....

Electronic aids can only help up to a certain point. But they can't make a bad, reckless driver a good driver. I'm sure they would be nice to be there "just in case", but I doubt if that will swing my money.....if I ever had the money to spend on a new van
    Anton van Kampen

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    My opinion?

I agree with you Manny. My Isuzu has none of these things, and I have never felt as if it was out of control. Except for once when I was really pushing it a little, I could feel the unloaded back trying to go past the front. But I was alone on a corrugated road, on a sharp turn, going a little faster than I should have been going.

After this last holiday where I drove a number of gravel roads, its no surprise to me that some people want ESP, etc. Many people I drove past on those roads just don't have any respect for a gravel road, driving at crazy speeds. I BARELY missed a red 4x4 (not gonna mention a brand name) that came round a SHARP corner at huge speed. I could SEE the electronic systems working, scrabbling to regain control. One wheel then the other almost locking up and letting go, but there was too many loose pebbles on the road and he was going WAY too fast. If I wasn't driving as slowly as I was, giving me time to get out of the way, we would have hit each other. For sure. And it was a LOOOOONG drop down on his side.....

Electronic aids can only help up to a certain point. But they can't make a bad, reckless driver a good driver. I'm sure they would be nice to be there "just in case", but I doubt if that will swing my money.....if I ever had the money to spend on a new van
    As I said in another thread - these electronic nannies create bad drivers, as proven by the above experience.

Idjits (sorry Sarel) start to rely on them and once they surpass the protection allowed by these things, the crash is a lot more spectacular !!

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    As I said in another thread - these electronic nannies create bad drivers, as proven by the above experience.

Idjits (sorry Sarel) start to rely on them and once they surpass the protection allowed by these things, the crash is a lot more spectacular !!
    Well said Thys, these things can't override the laws of nature.
    Mercedes G Class 5 door
    W123 230e
    Vesa PX150

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Not always true. I would rather have my family drive a safer car. Not because they drives recklessly, but because I like them.

Looking at Isuzu prices - they priced for ESP anyways, they just don't offer it.

Not always true. I would rather have my family drive a safer car. Not because they drives recklessly, but because I like them.

Looking at Isuzu prices - they priced for ESP anyways, they just don't offer it.
    Please buy something with ESP, so that you can, in your mind, be safer.

It won't save your family though.
    Mercedes G Class 5 door
    W123 230e
    Vesa PX150

It was removed for the SA market together with TC in exchange for a difflock
    1999 Isuzu Frontier 2.8 dt(Intercooled) 4x4
    2014 Toyota RAV4 2.2 GX 4x4

Probably because the same people who moan about the TC now, moaned about the absence of a diff lock in the Trailblazer.
    Variety is the spice of life!

Saying that a vehicle without ESP etc. is unsafe is about as accurate as saying something without wings can't fly.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    Probably because the same people who moan about the TC now, moaned about the absence of a diff lock in the Trailblazer.
    i agree, i would rather have ESP and TC and fit a difflock if i need it
    1999 Isuzu Frontier 2.8 dt(Intercooled) 4x4
    2014 Toyota RAV4 2.2 GX 4x4

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast