Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 435
  1. #401
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 1426

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    I managed 9.1 km/l over 1040 km with the speedcruise set at 130km/h on the speedo, 120km/h gps, this was from Swakopmund through Windbhoek en route to Sprinbok.

    My consumption in the desert was 3.9km/l , over 700 KM from Betta to Walvis

    Most of the diesels on the trip was heavier on fuel.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:


  3. #402
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,305
    Thanked: 1307

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    My last FJ averaged 14.1 l/100kms over four years, interestingly my Hilux 2.7vvti was 12.9.
    FJC - Just Cruising

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  5. #403
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett/Paulshof
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,455
    Thanked: 1468

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    I have just completed a full tank from Plett to CT and back, mainly highway and town, some dirt road, 12.4 l/100km or 8,1km/l. Speed on highway max 120 on gps, some 130 plus for overtaking. Average about 110km/h.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:


  7. #404
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 1426

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    I did a test on 2 highway trip with the tires at 1.8 bar giving me 8.7Km/L and at 2.4 bar 9.1km/L, same speed same road. This is with the stock AT22's other tires will probably give less.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:


  9. #405
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,305
    Thanked: 1307

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I have just completed a full tank from Plett to CT and back, mainly highway and town, some dirt road, 12.4 l/100km or 8,1km/l. Speed on highway max 120 on gps, some 130 plus for overtaking. Average about 110km/h.
    I did a trip up to Kosi on the long weekend, same speeds but included about 70kms of mild sand tracks in 4H - used the cruise control mostly and got exactly 800kms on 100l used so 12.5 or 8/l.
    Engine is still new so I reckon it will improve slightly but from experience not much
    FJC - Just Cruising

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  11. #406
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanked: 7253

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I did a trip up to Kosi on the long weekend, same speeds but included about 70kms of mild sand tracks in 4H - used the cruise control mostly and got exactly 800kms on 100l used so 12.5 or 8/l.
    Engine is still new so I reckon it will improve slightly but from experience not much
    What tyres is your FJ wearing?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  12. #407
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett/Paulshof
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,455
    Thanked: 1468

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    What tyres is your FJ wearing?
    Sounds like the standard Dunlop’s which are quite good especially for road. Not too bad on sand. I changed to GY wranglers but in retrospect should have stuck with the Dunlop and not wasted R7k
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

  13. #408
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Pietersburg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    I did a test on 2 highway trip with the tires at 1.8 bar giving me 8.7Km/L and at 2.4 bar 9.1km/L, same speed same road. This is with the stock AT22's other tires will probably give less.
    Also decided to give it a test after reading what you said on here about the tire pressures this long weekend from PLK to PTA and back.
    And damn! What a difference on the Highway stretches!

    I did see a 1.2km/l Difference when I went from my old and nearly bold BF Goodrich KO2(265/70R17) to the Cooper Discover ST MAXX(265/70R17) in the last 5000km since I put them on.

    Generally I drive on 1.8bar and get around 6.4-6.7km/l on the highway at GPS 120km/h
    Got 8km/l on the drive back when I went to 2.5bar (GPS 120km/h)! Jy stamp jou niere pap, but hey, small price to pay!

    Noted, my car is usually loaded to the brim, with Stofpad sliders and underbody protection aswell as a Frontrunner roofrack on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210428-085044_Fuelio.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	613860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210422_165623.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	613861  

    --2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6 - aka Ratel
    --1998 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0L V6 - SOLD
    ___________________________________WHEN IN DOUBT... THROTTLE OUT!___________________________________


  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flipoff94 For This Useful Post:


  15. #409
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,305
    Thanked: 1307

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    What tyres is your FJ wearing?
    I went against my own advice and fitted BFG's (the swop out deal was too good to pass up)
    The problem is that I can't seem to find the right pressure, I had them at 2.4 but so many conflicting opinions, 2.2 is standard and I have run AT22/Scorpions/GY Wranglers at that with no problems but some say the BFG's need to be at 2.6 and some say at 2.0 - the friggen things came at 3.2!!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  17. #410
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanked: 7253

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I went against my own advice and fitted BFG's (the swop out deal was too good to pass up)
    The problem is that I can't seem to find the right pressure, I had them at 2.4 but so many conflicting opinions, 2.2 is standard and I have run AT22/Scorpions/GY Wranglers at that with no problems but some say the BFG's need to be at 2.6 and some say at 2.0 - the friggen things came at 3.2!!!
    I found that the older they got (BFgs), the harder they must be pumped.. (For noise)

    I kept mine mostly at 2.0bar, but that's on a bakkie

    Did you remain on 265/70s? or go a bit bigger? I know the Coopers are slightly bigger in circumference than the AT22 or the BF's

    Just picking at the experienced for my future application..
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/04/28 at 09:54 AM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  18. #411
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,305
    Thanked: 1307

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I found that the older they got, the harder they must be pumped.. (For noise)

    I kept mine at 2.0bar, but that's on a bakkie

    Did you remain on 265/70s? or go a bit bigger? I know the Coopers are slightly bigger in circumference than the AT22 or the BF's

    Just picking at the experienced for my future application..
    Standard 265/70, I used to run at 2.0 on my Hilux so I will try that for a while, methinks 2.4 is too hard but I did that for the long trip.
    FJC - Just Cruising

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  20. #412
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faerie Glen Pretoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,893
    Thanked: 242

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Bloody pathetic hooter.

    2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

  21. #413
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    123
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Bought my FJ yesterday 🥳 Reluctantly sold my previous one a few years ago

  22. #414
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 1426

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Congrats and enjoy it.

  23. #415
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    58
    Posts
    110
    Thanked: 154

    Default FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    So my FJ is 2 months old. I took it off road camping this weekend to my farm (Memel area) towing a fully laden invader Quattro trailer (aprox 1.1ton ). Also went off road (down and up, no trailer) donkeys pass at Vulintaba (natal freestate escarpment edge). The road to the farm is strictly 4x4 with some significant and difficult stream crossings with rocky steps and erosion. I will share my thoughts about the vehicle below. As a comparison, my daily drive for the past 7 years has been a Jeep Grand Cherokee over land 3.6 lt petrol and before that a Prado 120 4 lt petrol for 9 yrs.

    1. Packing space: bigger than anticipated. I particularly like the “squareness ” as it makes packing easier for me. A 40 lt engel fits into the rear packing space perfectly

    2. Towing: very good. Could hardly feel the trailer

    3. Power: tows at 100 to 120 with relative ease. Without trailer the cruise control works well and the overdrive (5th) remains engaged up most gentle inclines. Towing and into a head wind, the gearbox moves between overdrive and 4th/3rd. I switched the speed control off and did (traffic permitting) the fast down hill (130km/hr) and slow uphill (100km/hr) On the home run. I enjoy driving so this was fun for me. The gear box is smooth as butter! For off roading this motor does not miss a beat and idles through effortlessly.

    4. Fuel consumption: no onboard computer so until I fill up I will not know. (will edit this post when done). Estimate based on fuel tank gauge 660 Kms (towing and 4x4 ) used 2/3 of 159 lt standard tank equates to aprox 16lts/100kms . I am expecting 18lts when do actual fill up. Filled up 17.7 Lts /100kms

    Off road ability: unbelievable! I could write a book on this. The systems.... 4x4 hi / low, a trac, rear diff lock and crawl control work seamlessly and very well. No wheel spin ever. It blew me away and is far superior than the grand Cherokee and the Prado 120.

    6. Ride comfort: this was a big surprise. On standard suspension, it is a significantly more comfortable drive off road than the Grand Cherokee with its air suspension and the Prado 120 with after market full omu’s. Tyres were at 2.5bar, a little more than the normal 2.4) due to load. After market Tpms showed rear tyres increased on road pressure to 2,7 and front to 2.6. Tyres were warm to touch, not hot at all. In the future I might go to 2.6 bar on the rear when towing.

    7. Qualification: These are my impressions, subjective, use it or not.

    8. Conclusion: this vehicle is a “keeper”
    Last edited by Recovery; 2021/05/18 at 08:10 AM.

  24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:


  25. #416
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    53
    Posts
    25
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    I am interested in an FJ, but it is fitted with 20” rims - any feedback on how this will affect ride comfort, performance especially in final gear and fuel consumption.

  26. #417
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanked: 7253

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by JBE View Post
    I am interested in an FJ, but it is fitted with 20” rims - any feedback on how this will affect ride comfort, performance especially in final gear and fuel consumption.
    No FJ has 20” rims standard
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  27. #418
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 1426

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    The 20" might be fitted aftermarket , but that would be daft. I dont know that anyone will be able to tell you what the FJ will be like with them.

  28. #419
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faerie Glen Pretoria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,893
    Thanked: 242

    Cool Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    So my FJ is 2 months old. I took it off road camping this weekend to my farm (Memel area) towing a fully laden invader Quattro trailer (aprox 1.1ton ). Also went off road (down and up, no trailer) donkeys pass at Vulintaba (natal freestate escarpment edge). The road to the farm is strictly 4x4 with some significant and difficult stream crossings with rocky steps and erosion. I will share my thoughts about the vehicle below. As a comparison, my daily drive for the past 7 years has been a Jeep Grand Cherokee over land 3.6 lt petrol and before that a Prado 120 4 lt petrol for 9 yrs.

    1. Packing space: bigger than anticipated. I particularly like the “squareness ” as it makes packing easier for me. A 40 lt engel fits into the rear packing space perfectly

    2. Towing: very good. Could hardly feel the trailer

    3. Power: tows at 100 to 120 with relative ease. Without trailer the cruise control works well and the overdrive (5th) remains engaged up most gentle inclines. Towing and into a head wind, the gearbox moves between overdrive and 4th/3rd. I switched the speed control off and did (traffic permitting) the fast down hill (130km/hr) and slow uphill (100km/hr) On the home run. I enjoy driving so this was fun for me. The gear box is smooth as butter! For off roading this motor does not miss a beat and idles through effortlessly.

    4. Fuel consumption: no onboard computer so until I fill up I will not know. (will edit this post when done). Estimate based on fuel tank gauge 660 Kms (towing and 4x4 ) used 2/3 of 159 lt standard tank equates to aprox 16lts/100kms . I am expecting 18lts when do actual fill up. Filled up 17.7 Lts /100kms

    Off road ability: unbelievable! I could write a book on this. The systems.... 4x4 hi / low, a trac, rear diff lock and crawl control work seamlessly and very well. No wheel spin ever. It blew me away and is far superior than the grand Cherokee and the Prado 120.

    6. Ride comfort: this was a big surprise. On standard suspension, it is a significantly more comfortable drive off road than the Grand Cherokee with its air suspension and the Prado 120 with after market full omu’s. Tyres were at 2.5bar, a little more than the normal 2.4) due to load. After market Tpms showed rear tyres increased on road pressure to 2,7 and front to 2.6. Tyres were warm to touch, not hot at all. In the future I might go to 2.6 bar on the rear when towing.

    7. Qualification: These are my impressions, subjective, use it or not.

    8. Conclusion: this vehicle is a “keeper”
    Very nice feedback

    I am now on 4500 kms in my new FJ. Certainly drives better/softer than my previous 2012 model.
    As you say - definitely a keeper.
    In a way I am sorry I sold the 2012 for reasons of sentiment only.

    2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

  29. #420
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,944
    Thanked: 1611

    Default Re: FJ Cruiser - Interesting Facts (Useless Information)

    Quote Originally Posted by JBE View Post
    I am interested in an FJ, but it is fitted with 20” rims - any feedback on how this will affect ride comfort, performance especially in final gear and fuel consumption.
    20" rims doesn't say anything about the tyre's diameter, which determines fuel consumption and "performance".

    But I'm pretty sure that with 20" rims the FJ will become a shopping trolley and not an off road vehicle.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams 2008
    By Chris_cross in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2013/12/03, 03:50 PM
  2. Toyota Land Cruiser Quality
    By grips in forum Toyota
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2012/08/16, 07:49 PM
  3. My nuwe Cruiser
    By Nati in forum Toyota
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2011/11/25, 09:43 AM
  4. De La Rey Cruiser
    By Bostokkelos in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2011/03/30, 09:18 PM
  5. Land Cruiser's 60
    By Bogaards in forum Toyota
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011/03/08, 11:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •