Road conditions Harare- Kanyemba

Default Road conditions Harare- Kanyemba

Hi there,

We are due to drive from Harare to Kanyemba in 2wks time and just wondering if anyone knows what the road conditions are like especially in the last 60km before kanyemba? We did this trip a couple of years ago (albeit before the rains started!) and I remember it being extremely rough and bumpy but not a road that needed 4x4.
    This time we don't have a 4x4 and wondering if this road is even passable without one?

Thanks!

Default Harare to Kanyembe

Review thread........
    http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=127276

Pm me for any further info.

Regards
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Thanks for your advice Mike!

A friend of mine did this route a couple of weeks ago. He said it was fine, with one section of bad tar, but the dirt road on the Kanyemba side was average gravel. Around the hill near the border post the road deteriorates, so 4x4 will be an advantage, mainly due to "steps" in the road.

Where are you staying?

I have a friend (different one) who owns the hunting concession just inside Mozambique. PM me and I'll see if I can dig up his number, he travels that road all the time.

Edit - I have sent you a PM.
    Last edited by RobH; 2012/10/25 at 12:53 PM.

I've just come back from there this past Sunday.

Unless my geography is a bit out:
    1. From Harare past Mazoe, Mvurwe and on to Guruve is decent tar, just plenty of roadblocks. Cops seemed to have more of an attitude than the rest of the country...
    2. Guruve to the "main" tar road down the escarpment is badly potholed/broken up and you will be driving on the dirt on the verge for about 25km's. Repair crew was working on it going to and from Kanyemba.
    3. Decent tar down the escarpment to just past "Mahuwe"?
    4. Mahuwe to Mushumbi pools is dirt. Probably the most corrugated road I have ever driven on. Tyre pressure all the way down to 1.5 bar, speed up, speed down etc with fully independent suspension and it was horrendous. Worse than any forrestry or mine roads I've driven on.
    5. Mushumbi pools to Angwa is a bit better but still very badly corrugated.
    6. Angwa to Kanyemba, first half is pretty good, just quite a few dips, holes and humps. When you see the road suddenly become 4 lanes wide hit the brakes
    7. Last bit to kanyemba is a bit dicey. The repair crew is busy grading it with the affect that there are some very deep sand sections. Nothing major but take a tow rope if you're pulling a trailer.
    8. Right at Kanyemba the road isnt great, as mentioned plenty rocky steps.

The roughly 200km from Guruve to Kanyemba took around 4 hours but we were pushing it on the long corrugated sections.

If it's been raining the 60km's from Angwa to Kanyemba could be dicey, you can see the wash away sections have been filled with rocks, tree branches etc where folks have been stuck before.

Default Road Conditions

A very accurate description Jocko, Those roads are not to be driven on if you have false teeth or if you have not checked your running gear / suspension before departure i.e., Bearings, Diff, shocks etc.

The worst is when your holiday is over and you have to pack up and drive back knowing what you will be facing, specially if you are towing a boat.

I must check with Dick Pitman if any work has been done on the old road that went down to Kanyembe from Karoi. It also branched off to the Chewore / Sapi and and Mana Rangers office. This road was the original hell road on vehicles.

May be in is time to start a general thread - "What is the worst road you have ever driven on (more than 50kms)" and participants need to show road on either a T4A map or Google Earth map.

Regards
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.