Legal to drive with a cast on your foot

Default Legal to drive with a cast on your foot

Is it legal to drive with both feet in casts?
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

It would be very difficult to even if legal or not. The pedals are fairly close to one another, so when you think you braking you could just as well be accelerating?
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

Sanity should prevail even before contemplating the legality. I think it would be highly irresponsible and the insurance company will definitely have a problem should something happen.

Louis

Stock standard 99 Pajero 3.5

Years ago got a fine for driving barefoot, is THAT still illegal? It's ok to drive in plakkies which get stuck under the accelerator but not barefoot, go figure!!

Interesting question... consider S 63, Act 93/96: Reckless or negligent driving:

1)No person shall drive a vehicle on a public road recklessly or negligently.
    2)Without restricting the ordinary meaning of the word "recklessly" any person who drives a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property shall be deemed to drive that vehicle recklessly.
    3)In considering whether subsection (1) has been contravened, the court shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case, including, but without derogating from the generality of subsection (1) or (2), the nature, condition and use of the public road upon which the contravention is alleged to have been committed, the amount of traffic which at the relevant time was or which could reasonably have been expected to be upon that road, and the speed at and manner in which the vehicle was driven.

SWAMBO had an operation in both her feet last week. She's been to the doctor today and got new casts. She has to wear them for the next 5 weeks, and he said it is no problem for her to start driving again.
    I don't like the idea, but she is set on starting to drive again this week because the doctor said it's okay.
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by barman1965 View Post
    Years ago got a fine for driving barefoot, is THAT still illegal? It's ok to drive in plakkies which get stuck under the accelerator but not barefoot, go figure!!
    LOL - I have never in my life ever driven a car with shoes. Considering that 99.99% of the time wear flip flops, and take them off when I drive.

I HATE driving with shoes. The most uncomfortable thing in the world to do.

Ask that question after the accident, when she could not get to the brakes quick enough, just after the child ran out into the road.

take her round a big empty car park. she will soon see it is not easy. feet will get sore.

Driving a car with feet in casts may soon lead to driving around with feet and arms in casts. Don't know if its specifically forbidden by law, but then again there is obviously a lot of things that can't be specifically forbidden. Driving with an Asian stripper on your lap while trumpeting the Star Spangled Banner with a vuvuzela being another.
    The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. - Carl Sagan

Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 HDE
    Hyundai H-100 bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    Driving with an Asian stripper on your lap while trumpeting the Star Spangled Banner with a vuvuzela being another.
    i take it you got caught then

Quote Originally Posted by colind View Post
    i take it you got caught then
    Darn cameras.
    The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. - Carl Sagan

Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 HDE
    Hyundai H-100 bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    SWAMBO had an operation in both her feet last week. She's been to the doctor today and got new casts. She has to wear them for the next 5 weeks, and he said it is no problem for her to start driving again.
    I don't like the idea, but she is set on starting to drive again this week because the doctor said it's okay.
    .....and the doctor is OK to pay the fine or cough up for the damages in case of a mishap??

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Kern View Post
    .....and the doctor is OK to pay the fine or cough up for the damages in case of a mishap??
    I don't know, but I am certainly not Okay with her driving with her feet in casts.

But then again - I don't want to drive her to work for 4 weeks either.
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    Driving a car with feet in casts may soon lead to driving around with feet and arms in casts. Don't know if its specifically forbidden by law, but then again there is obviously a lot of things that can't be specifically forbidden. Driving with an Asian stripper on your lap while trumpeting the Star Spangled Banner with a vuvuzela being another.
    thats illegal ??!?!?!?

damn.

what if she's not Asian?

National Road Traffic Act, 1996
    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
    Chapter X : Rules of the road and matters relating thereto
    Part I : Rules of the road
    308. General duties of driver or passenger of vehicle on public road

1) No person driving or having a vehicle on a public road shall –

a) cause such vehicle to travel backwards unless it can be done in safety, or cause it to run backwards for a distance or time longer than may be necessary for the safety or reasonable convenience of any occupant of that vehicle or of other traffic on such road;

b) follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent having regard to the speed of such other vehicle and the traffic on and the condition of the roadway, or more closely than is prescribed in these regulations;

c) permit any person, animal or object to occupy any position in or on such vehicle which may prevent the driver thereof from exercising complete control over the movements of the vehicle or signalling his or her intention of stopping, slowing down or changing direction;

d) when driving such vehicle, permit any person to take hold of or interfere with the steering or operating mechanism of the vehicle;

e) when driving such vehicle, occupy such position that he or she does not have complete control over the vehicle or does not have a full view of the roadway and the traffic ahead of such vehicle.

f) allow such vehicle to remain unattended on such road without setting its brake or adopting such other method as will effectively prevent the vehicle from moving from the position in which it is left;

g) if such vehicle is parked or is stationary at the side of such road, drive the vehicle from that position unless he or she is able to do so without interfering with moving traffic approaching from any direction and with safety to himself or herself and others;

h) fail to give an immediate and absolute right of way to a vehicle sounding a device or bell or displaying an identification lamp in terms of section 58(3) or 60 or regulation 176;;

i) allow any portion of his or her body to protrude beyond such vehicle while it is in motion on such road except for the purpose of giving any hand signal which he or she is required or authorised to give in terms of these regulations or unless he or she is engaged in examining or testing or parking such vehicle;

j) permit any person or animal to occupy the roof, any step or running board or any other place on top of a vehicle while such vehicle is in motion;

k) cause or allow the engine thereof to run in such manner that it emits smoke or fumes which would not be emitted if the engine were in good condition or ran in an efficient manner;

l) cause or allow the engine thereof to run while the motor vehicle is stationary and unattended;

m) negligently or willfully deposit or cause or permit to be deposited any petrol or other liquid fuel or any oil or grease or other flammable or offensive matter, ashes or other refuse, of whatever nature, from such vehicle upon or alongside such road; or

n) cause or allow the engine thereof to run while petrol or other flammable fuel is being delivered into the fuel tank of such vehicle, or cause or allow such engine to be started up before the delivery of the petrol or other flammable fuel into the fuel tank of such vehicle has been completed and the cover of such fuel tank has been replaced.

2) No person, other than the driver, shall take hold of or interfere with the steering or operating mechanism of a vehicle while it is in motion on a public road, unless it may reasonably be inferred that the driver is no longer capable of steering or controlling such vehicle.

3) No passenger in a vehicle on a public road shall permit any part of his or her body to protrude beyond such vehicle.

4) No person shall enter or alight from any vehicle on a public road unless such vehicle is stationary and unless he or she can do so with safety to himself or herself and other users of the road.

5) No person shall drive, pull or push a vehicle upon a sidewalk: Provided that the provisions of this subregulation shall not apply to a perambulator, invalid chair, baby cart or child's play vehicle.

I believe the casts would fall under "object" in the paragraph above..

I think the Asian stripper with the vuvuzela falls under the person part of the section!!