Indy in Cape Town

Default Indy in Cape Town

Can anyone recommend a good independent mechanic in Cape Town to work on a friendís A class?? Thanks

Default Re: Indy in Cape Town

JFT Motors in Imam Haron Road, Landsdowne. Speak to Alan, he is the owner.

lt is a small shop that has been in business for decades, it is managed by the owner who also works on the cars himself. His handful of staff have been with him for years also. He deals exclusively with Mercs and knows them inside and out! Besides for that, he has always treated me fairly over the many years he looked after my wifes C class.

021 - 696 2600

http://www.jftmotors.co.za/?controll...w=load&id=home
    Last edited by DJR; 2018/06/03 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks DJR. Iíll look him up.

My experience with INDY's with both Toyota and Mercedes has been that it is more often than not cheaper and more reliable to have repairs carried out by the agents.
    My VERY OLD Cruiser nowadays only gets serviced by the agents in Paarl, and the same goes for my oldish E class.
    I used to take my Cruiser to an INDY - I had it serviced before any longer trip and certainly every time I venture over borders....Every time the bill came to over R7K! Every time the spark plugs were replaced - 8, for the collective price of over R1000! These things should last for about 120 000km or more! When questioned about it, his answer was that he did not want me to get stuck because of a service item of only R1000! And they were in there for maybe 10 000km or less even! ...And then he failed to pick up on serious CV joint issues, that nearly derailed a trip. HE did the repair job with non-original parts - these CV joints broke after about 40 000km while I was driving through Baviaanskloof. Agents replaced the joints 3 years later with original equipment for the SAME price as what he'd charged me 3 years previously!
    My steering rack had some play - not much, but there it was...An INDY said it would cost R60 000+ to replace - no hope of salvaging anything...Dealers took the rack out and refurbished it for less than a quarter of the price....can be done another four times before I am at the originally quoted figure... should last about 60 to 100 000km.. even if lasted only 50 000 I'd take that WAY over the replacement cost.. my Cruiser isn't worth that much anyhow!
    Had an issue with the front suspension of my Merc. INDY quoted way more to fix this with non-orginal parts than the dealers who used original parts AND gave me warrantee on the job too! The diffenrence was also in four figures...
    (Just steer clear of having small items like wiper blades etc be replaced by them...)
    Touch wood, but I have not yet been in a position where I felt shafted by these dealers!
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Kia Sportage 2012 2.0i AT - seun se ryding
    Noname Boswa
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...verkoop

Quote Originally Posted by john_ysbeer View Post
    I used to take my Cruiser to an INDY - I had it serviced before any longer trip and certainly every time I venture over borders....Every time the bill came to over R7K!
    Don't paint all Indy's with the same brush. That guy saw you coming a mile away..... most people's "dealer vs. indy" stories tend to be the polar opposite of yours.