Procedure to register homebuilt trailer.

Question Procedure to register homebuilt trailer.

I wanna build me a nice trailer. Can't really afford to buy one, and considering the challenge and the reward if I do it myself, am inclined to say that I will build it myself even if I had the cash. Want it my way
    Only problem at the moment, how to get it registered
    I know you can buy an old shoddy trailer and modify it, but lets say I scratch build a trailer with GVM more than 750kg, what do I need to do or comply to, to get it registered?

The way I have it thus far is, and someone please correct/guide me if I am wrong:

I do not need to register as a MIB (Manufacturer, Importer or Builder) of a motor vehicle, as I will not be doing it "....for the purpose of his or her business of selling or modifications of motor vehicles..." as specified in the National Road Traffic Act, (Regulation 38')

Considering that I will probably build bigger than GVM 750kg I will need to get a letter of authority from the "Inspectorate of Manufacturer, Importer and Builders" (aka SABS/NRCS) which apparently is issued, subject to everything being 100%, within 6 days at a cost of R1800 if the inspection is carried out at your property.
    For letter of authority application you need the following:
    - Get VIN Nr,
    - police clearance
    - police identification
    - affidavit confirming where the parts came from and or proof
    - Road worthy certificate
    - Weighbridge certificate
    - Brake report (because its GVM > 750kg)
    - and apparently now also MicroDots. Cost

This may take some time (How long Anyone know the cost of other things required) but after I have my Letter of Authority, I take it and all other info to the licensing department and register the vehicle.

Sounds relatively easy, but is it?
    Who has experience with this and what advice do you have?
    Am I right with the procedure above?
    Last edited by JacquesP; 2012/11/30 at 09:50 AM.

No one with experience on this or comments?

There was a guy on the forum classified selling reg docs for a trailer. Maybe look at that option. Seems like the easiest solution
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XF V6
    Jaguar XJS V12

Took me more then 2 years........
    Now I have a trailer registered as "homebuild"
    Best way and i think the only way now a day is to buy and modify.....
    Neil

2008 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 - The boring appliance that battles to stay upright! (Flippie)
    2002 Colt Rodeo 2.8TDI 4x4 (Smokey)
    2000 3.5 V6 SWB Pajero
    Boswa
    - since fitting Land Rover wheels it has an oil leak

GP0049
    ORRA X129

andre` Guest

There are trailer builders that will register it under their name if they are happy with the build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRodeo View Post
    Took me more then 2 years........
    Now I have a trailer registered as "homebuild"
    Best way and i think the only way now a day is to buy and modify.....
    Thanks Neil.
    What did the process involve and why would you say it took 2 years? Incompetence of our beloved brothers and sisters at the various departments or is it just how long the process takes, or did you do it on your own time?

Seems like buying an old trailer license or something is the best.
    What would the process be if I buy a scrapped trailer licence,vin nr, and reg number from someone? Do i just punch in the vin, roadworthy, redo mass certificate, police clearance and there you go?

Do not even consider "buying" a registration document from so called registered MIB's who stopped manufacturing and who are only selling reg documants. It will boomarang and you WILL loose your trailer. The SAPS are currently conducting audits on all suspected transactions by individuals who only sell documents without manufacturing the trailers.
    When a trailer is privately built take the following steps:
    Keep all receipts of material
    Take photographs as progress is made.
    When finnished obtain a RPI (Request for Police Identification) from your local Registration Authority.
    Present the trailer together with the RPI, receipts and photographs to the SAPS Vehicle Identification Section responsible for your area.
    They will take a statement, make copies of everything, open an enquiry docket and issue a VIN (SAPVIN)
    They will complete the RPI.
    An application is made at your local Registartion Authority using the RPI and other required documents including weighbridge certificate, to have the trailer introduced on eNaTIS.
    Your local RA will forward your application to the Provincial Help Desk where it will be introduced on eNaTIS. (Enquire regularly on progress from your RA as it is captured on a Task Management System and progress can be monitored)
    After introduction on eNaTIS obtain a RPC (request for Police Clearance) and present to SAPS Clearance Office for Clearance.
    Obtain Roadworthy.
    Register and licence
    Depending on which Province you are located the process should not take longer than 60 days

Quote Originally Posted by gotdatshirt View Post
    Do not even consider "buying" a registration document from so called registered MIB's who stopped manufacturing and who are only selling reg documants. It will boomarang and you WILL loose your trailer. The SAPS are currently conducting audits on all suspected transactions by individuals who only sell documents without manufacturing the trailers.
    When a trailer is privately built take the following steps:
    Keep all receipts of material
    Take photographs as progress is made.
    When finnished obtain a RPI (Request for Police Identification) from your local Registration Authority.
    Present the trailer together with the RPI, receipts and photographs to the SAPS Vehicle Identification Section responsible for your area.
    They will take a statement, make copies of everything, open an enquiry docket and issue a VIN (SAPVIN)
    They will complete the RPI.
    An application is made at your local Registartion Authority using the RPI and other required documents including weighbridge certificate, to have the trailer introduced on eNaTIS.
    Your local RA will forward your application to the Provincial Help Desk where it will be introduced on eNaTIS. (Enquire regularly on progress from your RA as it is captured on a Task Management System and progress can be monitored)
    After introduction on eNaTIS obtain a RPC (request for Police Clearance) and present to SAPS Clearance Office for Clearance.
    Obtain Roadworthy.
    Register and licence
    Depending on which Province you are located the process should not take longer than 60 days
    Sounds like you've been there, done that and got da shirt lol. Thanks so much for the advice. I thought that it shouldn't be too long to get, and you have just confirmed that.

Default Re: Procedure to register homebuilt trailer.

Jaques.
    Het jy toe jou boskaravaan gebou?