Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    djcolt Guest

Question Kosi Bay camping

Hi there

Can anybody advise me about the best campsite in Kosi Bay area. I also would like to know if you can travel for the day to Ponto du Ouro in Mozambique. What activities is a must in that area and what is the road like to the mouth of the lakes. Thanks.

Went there last year for the first time but stayed at a self catering place. The road to the mouth is drivable with a soft roader but watch the tides, if you return at high tide you will have to drive through salt water. You will also need a permit from KZN Wildlife (Or whatever they are called) to go there or anywhere else. The sand roads around the lake are very badly signposted so better ask the locals but beware they work in time and not distance

Default kosi bay

there are a few places to stay but the best would be the KZN parks board camps on the northen side of the lake.
    from kosibay to the border is half an hours drive, no visum requierd only your pasport and vehicle papers, ponta da ora and ponta malangane is 5 and 15 km from the border

phone KZN parks board for bookings , take a boat with

RIG

ashwin Guest

Hi Boet

Went there last year and camped at Banga Neck ,Lovely place to enjoy your 4 x 4
    Must get permits to drive to Kosi mouth and Black rock .A bit tricky to get to the parks board office ,the gillies will help with that for 20 bucks .Getting to the campsite
    is well posted but will take you an hour to get to .

Hot water showers are available at certain times ,no power so have your own 4 x 4 fridge /freezer to keep your goods .

Have some info ,will post it to you tomorrow

Hi Ashwin.

If you dont mind, can you send me that info as well.

Thanks
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RIG View Post
    there are a few places to stay but the best would be the KZN parks board camps on the northen side of the lake.
    from kosibay to the border is half an hours drive, no visum requierd only your pasport and vehicle papers, ponta da ora and ponta malangane is 5 and 15 km from the border

phone KZN parks board for bookings , take a boat with
    good advice right there, just think the distances to Ponta do Ouro and Malangane are a bit further, could be wrong was there 3 weeks ago

there are not much activities for the day at either places besides the sight seeing and the eating and drinking (paid R14 for a fanta orange, coke was sold out, at a pub owned by a South African ), with if you coming from Kosi, you not going to see much, saw no wild life while there, the lake near Malangane, looked dead with no movement in the water, personally would rather do a trip to lake Sibaya where we have seen small buck, fish eagels, hipos crocs monkeys ..........!
    we have seen some amazing animals, and taken some wow pics at lake Sybaya

in the area that you have mentioned, the only other thing to (if you take a boat or jet ski, or quads (we did)), is to play with the toys
    if you have quads, the riding this side of the border is the same terain
    jet skis, not allowed at Kosi or Sodwana, so if that is the plan then fine!!
    snorkeling at Pont do Ouro was a waste of time only saw two fish, maybe spoiled by the abundance of fish to be seen at Sodwana

then in Moz you run the risk of their road cops looking for a bribe, much worse then in SA, there you pay on the spot, with no recite, or they keep you there
    they are a law unto them selfs

then on west side of Lake Sibaya, there is a cashoe nut farm, where nutscan be bought, and a tour of the whole proses can be taken
    thats on the road between Kosi and Sodwana, with the sigh board that read coastal forest

sorry if this sounds terrible, this is our honest opinion, and this is how we saw it!

we had a great time, we were with friends, and we rode quads every day, our next trip to the are will be to Sodwana bay for sure

this pic taken at lake Sibaya

and the whole photo album can be viewed at
    http://www.putfile.com/album/114950

hope this helps!!

Not bad snorkeling in kosi bay mouth, lots of juvenile reef fish there as it seems to be a nursery for them, just beware the stonefish, dont want to stand on one.
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

Been to Kosi twice. Camped at Utswayelo Community camp site both times. Quite basic but with good shaded fenced campsites, running hot water and flushing toilets. Closest accomodation to mouth. First time there with 4x2 DC 2nd time with Daihatsu Terios. No problem to mouth and back everyday. Even spring tide salt water crossing at lake still below wheel hubs. Not much to do but to relax and enjoy nature. Snorkeling in the mouth is quite nice and effortless, just drift with the current and enjoy. Fly fishing also apparently quite good. Ponto du Ouro is overrated and overpopulated by SA hooligans. Rather visit the camps at Malongane. In Moz, the must do activity is to go swim with the Dolphins. Done this in January while camping at Malongane, unforgetable experience. Snorkeling at Kosi much better than in southern Moz (except if you can take a boat to one of the reefs).
    Platkar: Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual + LR (Echo RTT not yet fitted)
    Offroad Monster: Daihatsu Terios 1.3, Centre Diff-lock, Rear LSD, Freeflow Exhaust, 15/215/70 Bridgestone Dueler H/T Tyres

Default Bhanga Neck Beach Camp

Was iemand onlangs by Bhanga Neck Beach camp gewees?

1. Hoe ver is dit van die strand af?
    2. Veiligheid
    3. Waar bespreek mens?
    4. Fasiliteite - goed of slegs
    5. Is dit die moeite werd om soontoe te gaan?

Dankie
    Uys
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

I've got a quick question.

Planning a trip up to Kosi soon..... later this month and i was wanting to know if it is possible to take a caravan to the camp site there?

Or is it better just to settle for a good frame tent?

Help us settle an argument plz
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional
    Suzuki Jimny
    Suzuki Grand Vitara

Default Caravan

Hi Roy-T and All,

Been to Ponto and Kosi twice since June.

As far as taking a caravan to Kosi camp sites - depends on the car-caravan-driver combination. Normal stuff, some pretty deep soft sand and a few fairly steep inclines/decines in the park.

I see your car is a Disco 2. If the caravan is a smallish one, should be fine. I would tow my boat there (as do many others)

Things to do in Ponto - Dive, if thats your scene - chill - get ripped off with local food prices. It all depends what you want, definately not as quiet as Kubu island, but fine if you dont mind waking up to the sound of outboard motors, or partying until midnight. To me the best thing is probably having some fun with friends playing on the sand roads, oh and buying some fresh LM prawns (still kicking) from the locals.

Never experienced or heard of problems with the police in southern Moz.

Have fun.

Cheers
    Fluffy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy-T View Post

Planning a trip up to Kosi soon..... later this month and i was wanting to know if it is possible to take a caravan to the camp site there?

Or is it better just to settle for a good frame tent?

Help us settle an argument plz
    The roads in the area require a 4x4 although you might find the occasional 4x2 bakkie there. Can you call them roads, more like a sand tracks? You will not find me there without a 4x4.

We recently stayed @ Mqobella Camp which is quite close to Black Rock.

When we were there we did not see any caravans on the road while driving between the different beaches or going to town. The roads are also narrow with the occasional sharp turn. I found myself scratching my car a bit going through all these bushes because of these narrow roads.

I would not go with a caravan if you plan to stay anywhere close to the beach. Rather go and check it out with the tent and then you will know better for next time. Better safe than sorry .
    2016 Mitsubishi Triton Exceed
    Previous 2014 AutoAmarock

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanR View Post
    The roads in the area require a 4x4 although you might find the occasional 4x2 bakkie there. Can you call them roads, more like a sand tracks? You will not find me there without a 4x4.

We recently stayed @ Mqobella Camp which is quite close to Black Rock.

When we were there we did not see any caravans on the road while driving between the different beaches or going to town. The roads are also narrow with the occasional sharp turn. I found myself scratching my car a bit going through all these bushes because of these narrow roads.

I would not go with a caravan if you plan to stay anywhere close to the beach. Rather go and check it out with the tent and then you will know better for next time. Better safe than sorry .
    Hi,

I have to agree with you. As I said depends on the car - van - driver combo. If it is a good off road rig with a driver experienced in this sort of thing OK.

Also as you say, for the first time a tent is a better bet

However, Black rock is much more difficult than the Parks board camp at Kosi. A good SUV and smallish caravan/boat should be OK at Kosi.

As an example I would be quite happy to tow a 1 ton deep sea skiboat/trailer combo with a Freelander 2 to Kosi Camp sites.

Also remember that this area is not really that remote. Even if you get properly stuck, help is probably only about an hour or so away.

Cheers
    Fluffy

There are various camping sites in the area.

There is one next to the beach at Banga Nek.
    You can also camp @ Mqobella.

I have not been to the camping site at the Parks Board. The road to the Parks Board is a lot better that the ones I was refering to. On my way there I passed a City Golf comming from there.

Enjoy the trip.

I towed my offroad trailer(more than a ton) with my 3.6m rubber duck behind to and from the Parks Board camp with my Sportage. If you are towing with a Disco you will have no problem. Unless traversing some of the southern tracks where the holes can be quite large , last year we fished the entire area from kosi down to bhanga nek/black rock and only had a Toy hilulx with difflock, never got stuck once, never raced an obstacle, let the tyres down to 1.2 and enjoyed the scenery.
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

Skink Guest

Default Kosi Bay and surrounding areas (Bhanga Nek Beach)

There are a couple of things to take into consideration when planning a visit to this part of the world.

1) Double check all accommodation offers situated on or near the beaches, especially Bhanga Nek - the first of a long list of court cases has recently been concluded and many illegal "establishments" are being shut down. This is actually a good thing, as they are promoting the destruction of the ecologically sensitive coastal environment, knowingly or otherwise. I'd lke to think everyone belonging to this association is a responsible, eco-friendly adventurer.
    2) The condition of the roads here changes with the weather. One day impassable without full range 4WD - other days easily negotiated in a small town car. Play it safe - the advice to reduce tyre pressure and leave the macho heroics behind is commendable. Remember, once you have had your fun and left the region, there are people who reside in this area who have to live with the roads as you leave them ...
    3) Amangwane & Utshwayelo camps are situated near the entrance to the Kosi Mouth beach area. Parks Board Camp is probably already fully booked for this December. Lakeview Camp is also open this year ... nice camp sites, I believe. Plenty of places to stay - remember too its the rainy season so if you're tenting make sure it's waterproof!

This isn't really caravan world ... the tar roads are horrendously potholed (between Jozini and KwaNgwanase/Manguzi) and the roadworks along the N17 between Ermelo and Pongola can easily add hours to your journey.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Skink View Post
    1) Double check all accommodation offers situated on or near the beaches, especially Bhanga Nek - the first of a long list of court cases has recently been concluded and many illegal "establishments" are being shut down.
    How would you know that an establishment is illegal? Do you know which ones are?

Quote Originally Posted by Skink View Post

This isn't really caravan world ... the tar roads are horrendously potholed (between Jozini and KwaNgwanase/Manguzi) and the roadworks along the N17 between Ermelo and Pongola can easily add hours to your journey.

Hope this helps.
    Yes Indeed, forgot completely about the bad road and road works traveling from Piet Retief to Kosi. The road between Jozini and Kosi also probably change on a weekly basis as it seems that they mostly only fill the potholes temporarily.

Travelled to Sodwana two weeks ago.

Piet Retief to Pongola is 70kms but took us 2 hours both ways because of approx 7 one way inter changes. But if you take it easy it should be fine. No real alternative route that saves time - when travelling from GP

Jozini to N2 has a couple of potholes but found it better than N2/Sodwana (due to all the speed humps)

2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE
    2014 BMW X5M

Quote Originally Posted by Toytjie View Post
    Travelled to Sodwana two weeks ago.

Piet Retief to Pongola is 70kms but took us 2 hours both ways because of approx 7 one way inter changes. But if you take it easy it should be fine. No real alternative route that saves time - when travelling from GP

Jozini to N2 has a couple of potholes but found it better than N2/Sodwana (due to all the speed humps)
    Hi,

I am a bit confused, Jozini town to N2 is an excellent 29 Km scenic moiuntain pass in very good condition.

Jozini dam is actually on (adjacent to) the N2.

However Jozini town/dam to Kosi bay via Tembe elephant park is a very potholed road.

My preferred route to bypass the potholes is Pongola - Jozini dam - turn right at Hluhluwe and carry on to Kosi. Quite a few Km's longer but excellent road except for the very visible speed humps outside schools etc.

Cheers
    Fluffy

Here's a pic of the typical road going to Bhanga Nek area. Won't reccommend towing a caravan. Have never seen a caravan in any of the campsites there...only tents.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosi roads.JPG 
Views:	5009 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	45243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosi camping 2_small.jpg 
Views:	3607 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	45245  

JR
    98 Nissan Hardbody 3l, Front Runner detachable roof rack, own drawer system and dual battery.
    13 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 auto, Wilderness 310.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast