Current border fees please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Current border fees please

Hi,
    We're planning a trip through Zambia next year from Chirindu (after going to Mana) and want to know the latest cross border fees. I found conflicting info when I did a search.
    Thanks!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mamasdriving View Post
    Hi,
    We're planning a trip through Zambia next year from Chirindu (after going to Mana) and want to know the latest cross border fees. I found conflicting info when I did a search.
    Thanks!
    Hello,

You come obvously from abroad, so the same fees will apply as for me:

- VISA: Single entry US $ 50 pp, double entry US $ 80 (to be paid in US $).
    - Cross border permit for your car: 100,000 Zambian Kwacha, i.e. approx US $ 20.
    - Carbon Tax varies according to engine size. For me (2,495 cc) 150,000 Zambian Kwacha, i.e. approx. US $ 30.
    - Local toll fee (can differ from place to place), however a rather small number, equivalent to 10 US $

Informations for border crossing 1 in Kasane (April 2012) and Katima Mulilo (July 2012).

Cheers.

On Friday I crossed from Katima to Sesheke with my BW registered hilux and paid:

Carbon tax: ZMK 150,000
    Insurance: ZMK 182,000
    Council levy: ZMK 30,000
    Road toll: US$48 (for ZA registered vehicles this is $20)

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post
    On Friday I crossed from Katima to Sesheke with my BW registered hilux and paid:

Carbon tax: ZMK 150,000
    Insurance: ZMK 182,000
    Council levy: ZMK 30,000
    Road toll: US$48 (for ZA registered vehicles this is $20)
    Hi,

Sorry, I had misunderstood the meaning of the council levy; I thought it was a local road toll.

One funny thing: my car is French registered, and I paid only US $ 20 Road toll in both Sesheke and ... (Kasane).

Cheers

yes, Botswana gets penalised. More than twice the price. Not fair

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Default Current Zam border fees - for trucks

Hi,

we're looking at the possibility of making a short trip into Zam from Katima Mulilo (1 or 2 nights) with our 7.5t, 5.7 litre diesel Unimog camper.

Before embarking on this, I was just wondering if anyone could advise me what I'm likely to have to pay for such a vehicle in Zambia? (we know all about the Namibian fees now.....)

Thanks,

Ian

Sorry, should have mentioned that the Mog is UK-registered.

Ian

Hi,
    I guess what Eric has been writing above is still correct for your truck as far it's not a commercial vehicle.
    The carbon tax over 3000 cc is 200,000 ZMK instead of 150,000 as Eric.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Ian can't answer specifically re the Mog but it is one of the more expensive African borders anyway. Definitely worth spending a bit more time there if you can to make sure you get your monies worth.

For the record in a UK reg Land Rover last year we paid.

2 x $50 for visas
    112,000 insurance (30 days)
    150,000 carbon tax
    $20 road tax
    30,000 council tax.

That's approx £110/£120.

In your MOG you will pay more for insurance and carbon tax (which is based on engine size).

If you go (and it is a great destination to visit) take especial care that you don't get classified as a commercial vehicle (I saw when completing the log book that commercial trucks were paying a lot more road tax ie $100/$200) and also that when you fill in the road tax you say clearly "All over Zambia" or words to that effect when asked to complete your destination. Otherwise you will get hassle from police looking to levy fines.

So it looks like $200US upwards, but due to the carnet it looks like we're going to have to do it anyway - I understand that the crossing at Katima is somewhat better than Kazangula - is this true?
    I've seen a "map" of the various offices at Kazangula somewhere on here, but not found one for this crossing - anyone know of such a thing? Or maybe this crossing is so good that it's self-evident?

Thanks,
    Ian

I understand that the crossing at Katima is somewhat better than Kazangula - is this true?
    Yes, seems so.
    No need of a map in Katima. You go to the various "offices" where they tell you to go. You pay. And that's it!
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=127047
    Pierre

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by frenchian View Post
    So it looks like $200US upwards, but due to the carnet it looks like we're going to have to do it anyway - I understand that the crossing at Katima is somewhat better than Kazangula - is this true?
    I've seen a "map" of the various offices at Kazangula somewhere on here, but not found one for this crossing - anyone know of such a thing? Or maybe this crossing is so good that it's self-evident?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Hi Ian,

The crossing at Kazangula is self evident (only one road out of Kasane, than a road crossing with Signposts - Zambia to the left, Zim to the reight)it is quite a bit of an experience..

If you come from Bots (Kasane), you go first through the Bots Administration, quick and easy as usual.

Then you have to take a pontoon, it takes usually two cars in front and a truck behind (of course and it s the same at KM, you overtake all the trucks waiting for days when not weeks) then you embark first. One question might be whether your truck and another one can go together on the pontoon, and the pontoon fees involved (think it was BWP 200 for a car, I do not know how much for the MOG...). The Zambian side is really a mess...with quite agressive runners...

If you have a choice, I suggest you cross the border at Katima, it is easier, quicker, no hassles, etc..

And you can overnight in KM at a very nice place run by a forumite and take advantage of a Nam cold one near the river before yo change to Mosi...

Cheers...
    Last edited by eric60260; 2012/10/10 at 05:37 PM.

Coming into Zambia from the south the border is certainly a bit more "African". You will get approached by fixers but it is easy enough to do on your own. Katima is less chaotic than Kazungula.

Park up and head for the main building. Immigration is inside the door. When done ask the way to customs (same building, different room) for the carnet/TIP. Then ask to be directed to insurance (usually in a hut outside), the road tax (a kind of portacabin) and finally council tax (a couple of jolly ladies in a clapped out caravan).

It helps if you can get some kwacha in advance (so you don't have to engage with any moneychangers).

Are you changing over carnets? If so you'll exit Namibia on the carnet and enter Zambia on a TIP (which is free).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post
    Coming into Zambia from the south the border is certainly a bit more "African". You will get approached by fixers but it is easy enough to do on your own. Katima is less chaotic than Kazungula.

Park up and head for the main building. Immigration is inside the door. When done ask the way to customs (same building, different room) for the carnet/TIP. Then ask to be directed to insurance (usually in a hut outside), the road tax (a kind of portacabin) and finally council tax (a couple of jolly ladies in a clapped out caravan).

It helps if you can get some kwacha in advance (so you don't have to engage with any moneychangers).

Are you changing over carnets? If so you'll exit Namibia on the carnet and enter Zambia on a TIP (which is free).
    Hello,

Both Pierre and I entered Zam (for me three times this year) on carnet, it is much more convenient than TIP (you can stay in Zam for the validity duration or the carnet - my rig has been in Zam as of mid-August ane will stay in the country until at list next Jan, without any problem).

AFAIK, the only countries in the region which are not signatories at the Un Carnet Agreement are Moz and Angola..

Cheers..
    Last edited by eric60260; 2012/10/10 at 11:21 PM.

I agree Eric if your carnet has plenty of time to run.

But Ian said he had to enter Zambia because of the carnet. I suspect this may mean he's currently on a UK carnet which is expiring soon. If that's the case the RAC advise the following:

1) Exit SACU on the old carnet
    2) Then enter the next (non SACU) country on a TIP (so you are on a TIP at the point of changeover)
    3) Then once you have your new carnet enter the next country on the new carnet.

So when our carnet reached the end of it's year we went to Zambia on a TIP, received our new carnet and entered Malawi on the new carnet.

It may be different/unnecessary if you are on a carnet issued elsewhere.

People also sometimes exit SACU so they can reclaim VAT on purchases made in SACU within the time limits.

Cool

I agree Eric if your carnet has plenty of time to run.

But Ian said he had to enter Zambia because of the carnet. I suspect this may mean he's currently on a UK carnet which is expiring soon. If that's the case the RAC advise the following:

1) Exit SACU on the old carnet
    2) Then enter the next (non SACU) country on a TIP (so you are on a TIP at the point of changeover)
    3) Then once you have your new carnet enter the next country on the new carnet.

So when our carnet reached the end of it's year we went to Zambia on a TIP, received our new carnet and entered Malawi on the new carnet.

It may be different/unnecessary if you are on a carnet issued elsewhere.

People also sometimes exit SACU so they can reclaim VAT on purchases made in SACU within the time limits.
    Hi

The different ways the various automobile clubs handle the Carnet matter is most confusing. I worked a lot on the matter last year. There is even a third version for the Germans, I guess a fourth one somewhere (and the UN agreeement does not say anything..).

The French AC says they give you a new carnet beginnning the day after the first expires, and when you exit the country you stamp the old one (even if it is expired, the new one gives a guarantee for the import duties), and enter the next country with the new one..(lots of people I know did it)..

But actually the British view is more pragmatic..provided you do not want your rig to stay in the TIP country for a longer time, TIP' s are seldom given for more than 90 days..

Do not really understand...

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi

..provided you do not want your rig to stay in the TIP country for a longer time, TIP' s are seldom given for more than 90 days..
    Actually we did have a few sleepless nights over this. We were having some major work done on the car and the days were ticking by ...

It all turned out OK in the end though.

Ian - I just thought of a reason you need to stay longer in Zambia. Go and see the bats at Kasanka. October to December sees the biggest mammal migration in the world (over 8 million individuals). Wing spans of a metre. All roosting in a few square km. All taking to the air at once every dusk and filling the skies. Quite a sight. David Attenborough was impressed so I'm sure you will be too!!

Go and see the bats at Kasanka. October to December sees the biggest mammal migration in the world (over 8 million individuals). Wing spans of a metre. All roosting in a few square km. All taking to the air at once every dusk and filling the skies. Quite a sight. David Attenborough was impressed so I'm sure you will be too!!
    3 weeks from now for us!
    Pierre

Thanks for the replies guys, we've changed our plans quite considerably over the last few days, we were going to store the truck in Windhoek till next summer, but with the carnet running out in May (and the truck having entered SACU in May), I wanted to get it "stamped in and out" before then somehow.
    However we've now bitten the bullet and decided to continue the trip north through Zam towards Nairobi, so we'll be passing Kasanka (it's already scribbled "bats" on our maps).
    We're in KM now at the Protea, leaving day after tomorrow after finding someone to supply & fit a new trinary switch for our aircon (otherwise it'll be Diesel Electric in Lusaka I guess).
    Anyone know if we can import meat into Zam from Nam by any chance (we're going shopping tomorrow....)?

Thanks again, Ian

You can take as much meat as you want from Nam to Zam.
    Pierre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast