Caravan towing - which gear

Default Caravan towing - which gear

Hi,

I searched the forum but could not find any information regarding this subject, I am towing a caravan 1200kg loaded. I am curently using 5th gear on even roads and switch to 4th gear on inclines. Some of the forums state that you will damage the gearbox if you tow in 5th gear is this also the case with the Disco2 Td5 or is it acceptable (will not damage the gearbox) if you tow in 5th gear?

Thank you
    Hugo
    99 TD5 DiscoII
    Conqueror Commander

Do not tow in 5th on the torque band. Change gears from 5th to 4th as soon as you near the 2000 rev mark. Maybe even earlier. I ran my 5th gear over Christmas and it cost me R4000 to repair. Fortunately the bearing did not disintegrate or it could have cost a lot more!

I have been towing my Jurgen Exclusive (1800kg) for three years now and apparently it has been an accumulation of the abuse of not using the lower gears earlier when approaching an incline. I found it easy to tow between 90 and 100kmh in 5th and this is what caused the problem. Some workshops will tell you not even to use 5th at any stage when towing.
    I Own the Best 4x4s by Far<br><br>Defender TD5 CSW <br>Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE<br>Sprite Tourer SP

Hi Henry

Thank you for the reply. I am a bit new, when you say "Do not tow in 5th on the torque band" is this from 1750 rpm upwards to around 3000 rpm?

I suppose you towed with the Defender, does it also have the R380 gearbox?

The Jurgens Exclusive is almost 700kg heavier than the Commander will that reduce my risk of damaging the gearbox? (and I believe the wind resistance of the commander is also much less as it is much smaller than the Jurgens, not much bigger than the Disco)

I am almost not aware of the Commander when towing it, so it is very easy to maintain 2500 rpm in 5th gear (110 - 120 km/h) when driving in 4th gear the revs go up to 3000+ rpm to travel at 100 km/h. Maybe I should learn to drive at 100 but the revs are still very high?

Thank you
    Hugo
    99 TD5 DiscoII
    Conqueror Commander

MOET NIE IN 5de SLEEP NIE jou 5de rat is n baie klein rat en kan nie die pyn vat nie jy ry ook nie in 5de as jy onder 100km is nie slegs oor sonder dat jy sleep ek het op die harde manier geleer R15000 later
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Hi, if you want a lot of towing info goto a caravan forum, I am on http://www.caravanning.co.za (then click on Forum)

The bottom line is, you tow in the gear that has the closest 1:1 ration, which is on 99% of the vehicles the 4th gear.

The 5th gear is more an economical gear and towing in it will put a lot of strain on it and a lot of guys did a lot of damage this way.

Quote Originally Posted by hugowessels View Post
    when you say "Do not tow in 5th on the torque band" is this from 1750 rpm upwards to around 3000 rpm?
    The maximum torque in a D2 [email protected] revs and maximum power [email protected] revs. You must avoid labouring your vehicle in 5th gear at around 2000 revs. I have decided to change down when I reach 2500 revs in 5th.

The R380 gearbox exists in both the Defender and Disco but the ratios are differrent as well as the ECU is chipped diferently. Hence the power in the Defender is lower but the torque is similar - 300nm.
    I Own the Best 4x4s by Far<br><br>Defender TD5 CSW <br>Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE<br>Sprite Tourer SP

From what I gather avoid the 5th gear. IMHO 100 km.h is close to your maximum safe towing speed, 90 should be just fine.
    Currently: 2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D/C 4x4
    Previously: 1996 LR Defender 110 V8