Where Does Your 4x4 Trok Sleep

Default Where Does Your 4x4 Trok Sleep

I think many of us must have the same Issue. Me being one, I want to fit bigger tyres and with all mods the usual suspenion r/rack, This problem is "DIE BABY PAS NIE" in my garage. Except to change my house into a building site, which Spike I think would like to do.
    Has someone got a brainy idea, what one can with a standerd single electrical opening spring typ garage door.
    Ek soek hoogte en ry a Disco 2.(I Don't want to change he he, ok)
    Last edited by kalahari; 2007/09/11 at 01:33 AM.
    This LANDY has NO Oil Leak yet
    !!! !!!

I have the same problem if I want to fit a roofrack and/or rooftop tent.

I've heard of people lowering the garage floor. I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on that. I'd be interested to see what other people have done as well.
    Chris Meistre

Lowering the floor would be too much hassle and expense, and then there's still the possibility of drainage issues (floor lower than surrounding area.
    There's no easy was out. Raise the lintels and new door.
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

I have the same problem. I have a pulley system in my garage to put the canopy on my Hilux, but I have to park outside to fit the rooftop tent (and can't park in the garage then).

The problem with lowering the garage floor is the rain water will run from outside into the garage.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

As Spike said if you can you got to go up or build on a extra garage high enough
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

No hassles for me - the pajero doesn't even fit in my garage so sleeps outside...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Hi, just my 2c worth. Lowering your garage floor is a options but remember you cannot just lower under the door you need to lower the whole floor. Now your floor and foundations was build at a certain height (and they do need each other) so lowering it might mean lowering it past the foundation height, which in theory can weaken the structure . It is easier and cheaper to lift the garage door. Remember the top of your garage door MUST and the old one 10 to 1 does have a concrete slap going across for strength, and it will be a b#$%ch to get out. But it will be easier than taking out a whole concrete floor, which by the why is the same strength as you foundation. So if I were you I would go up. Luckily I do not have that problem but a problem I do have is a place for my caravan to sleep. So I am in the process of planning an extra garage that is height enough for a caravan. The standard height for a caravan garage door is 2.3m but they can customize it higher if you like.

Guys its simple.
    Every night, before you pull into the garage, get out and deflate the tires.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

We recently moved and when I had a new (monster of a) carport (+/- 13.5m x 6.5m) built it was custom made to allow my 110 & roofrack to fit. At the lowest point it is about 2.7m. It had to quite a lot higher than the truck because there's a very steep slope leading up to it. SWAMBO's Mazda and my folk's Datsun (yes Datsun) look quite lost under there.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2001 Land Rover Defender 130 TD5 D/C with everything

I also can not get the Disco into the garage, so it will be sleeping outside. I have contemplated raising the garage door but will probably end up putting up a car port - it is just so much easier

Well, I thought it was only me who had to deal with this problem! Fitted the Ironman suspension kit to my Defender 90 a year ago and gues what, the garage door aperture needed 30mm's more to get the landy in the garage! Also considering all the options above I decided it was cheaper and easier to remove 2 layers of bricks from the top of the aperture. I got a casual bricklayer/plasterer from the local Timbercity to do the job. He had to remove the concrete lintel (OK as there are still at least 6 layer of brick left above) to get the desired height and then plastered all up again. +/- R500 and a Saturday morning later and the landy could sleep in the garage again. Couple of months later and I bought a roofrack and as I did not want to fit it only when needed, I had to get someone again to remove some more bricks and plaster up again. Only needed two bricks as the roofrack is the one wlthout the rail around. Only bad thing now is that if I load anything on the roof, the landy stays outside. I will bear with this as I will surely get some looks from the wife if I again remove some bricks!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
    I think many of us must have the same Issue.
    It seems we do.

Quote Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
    Ek soek hoogte en ry a Disco 2.(I Don't want to change he he, ok)
    The height of the Disco is nice .

Quote Originally Posted by gildenha View Post
    I also can not get the Disco into the garage, so it will be sleeping outside. I have contemplated raising the garage door but will probably end up putting up a car port - it is just so much easier
    Our current garage has an opening that the Disco just fits through, with the sunroofs closed. So for now, I have no room for lifting, roof racks etc. I've made it a challenge to get the Disco set up for overlanding with 2 people and no roof rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Well, I thought it was only me who had to deal with this problem! Fitted the Ironman suspension kit to my Defender 90
    Seems like it's a Landy thing.

While we are on this topic, we have a medium term plan to convert our garage into something else and build either a new garage or a carport. The height spec I would choose to work to is Defender+50mm lift+roof rack+RTT. This would accomodate pretty much any vehicle I would be likely to want to park in it. Anyone got an idea of how high this is and what is available in garage doors this height.
    '97 Disco Tdi

Henk

I know my 90's height with the roofrack and suspension kit is just below 2.4 m (had to check it for when my wife goes to the shopping malls). So add at least another 400mm to be on the safe side = total 2.8 metres. Some roofracks might be slightly higher though as mine is fairly close to the roof. So I would go for 2.9 m min.

My 4x4 sleeps in the garage - the benefit of driving a small Jeep.

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points