Merc Sprinter 318CDI and 500ppm diesel

Default Merc Sprinter 318CDI and 500ppm diesel

My folks have just bought the above mentioned vehicle in 4x4 motorhome guise, and are heading on a 12500km round trip to Tanzania and back in December.

Merc states that the vehicle should only take 50ppm diesel and that 500ppm diesel will clog up the diesel particulate filter, and the vehicle could go into limp mode etc.

How likely is this to happen especially since I reckon 80-90 % of the trip will be done on 500ppm diesel?

Is this something they need to be worried about? Are there additives that they could add to the fuel to minimise this risk etc?

Thanks
    Rob

If they are out of warranty on the van I would remove the DPF and make it 500ppm friendly.

There is talk of Mercedes bringing in a kit to SA to convert the G300 Professional (also uses the Mercedes OM642 motor) to Euro 3 rating. This apparently removes the DPF and a few bits and bobs.

See here:
    http://www.mb4x4.co.za/forum/showthr...ia-iPhone-iPad

I would also look at fitting a ultra fine diesel filter. Something like:
    http://www.udfiltration.com/products.html

This will protect the engine against bad quality diesel that they are likely to encounter on their travels.
    Last edited by munga; 2012/09/06 at 12:08 PM.

NOT a good idea to remove the DPF.

The best you can do is to get one or two spare filters and make sure you know how to replace them.

A UDF filter is a good idea, but also take as spare to make sure you are ok.

Up in Africa you can get as high as 8000ppm diesel, but please do remember that this is the sulphate in the diesel, not the dirt. The dirt in the diesel is what will clog the filler.

Regarding the higher sulphur in the diesel... (50ppm vs 500ppm vs 8000ppm). The higher sulphate will contaminate the oil in faster car. You will have to take oil and a oil filter to replace the oil on the journey.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Add a decent filter... UDF.
    Add 2SO. 400:1. (Sometimes they dilute the diesel with paraffin.)
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

While I agree with the these comment none of these answers his question regarding high sulpher diesel and the problem with the DPF clogging?

Why do you (W3771M) not recommend removing the DPF? This is part of the exhaust system and I am sure you can engineer a solution to remove the DPF?

I am also a bit confused as to why "Merc states" you cannot use 500ppm diesel? In the G300 Prof (same engine and euro 4 rating) Merc have told the G guys they can use 500ppm no problem in the G. Are you sure the Sprinter has a DPF?

They got one of these right?
    http://www.travelstar.co.za/index.ph...&category_id=3
    Last edited by munga; 2012/09/06 at 01:14 PM.

guys i have had two Sprinters 308D one of the first of the launch in 98' non turbo and now a 315Cdi 09' both have been using 500ppm with out any issues that relates to incorrect fuel.

the 308 had engine recond rings etc
    the 315 new turbo impeller collapsed

Love these machines but are costly to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by sohail1 View Post
    guys i have had two Sprinters 308D one of the first of the launch in 98' non turbo and now a 315Cdi 09' both have been using 500ppm with out any issues that relates to incorrect fuel.

the 308 had engine recond rings etc
    the 315 new turbo impeller collapsed

Love these machines but are costly to maintain.
    The 308uses OM611 2.2

the 315cdi uses the OM643 2.1 Euro 3 engine

The 318cdi uses the V6 OM642 3.0 Euro 4 engine.

I take back comment on the DPF. I confused it with the diesel filter before the engine, where the DPF (confusing name) is actually the exhaust gas filter.

Yes, take it out. I will upset the greenies but can give issues with higher sulphate diesel.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

We recomend to our MB customers who wants to go into Africa the 315 because of the DPF and the 50ppm requirements.
    We recomend the VW Crafter as the 2.5 and the 2ltr engine has the power and torque in lower revs and the engine is 500ppm.
    However removing the DPF gives you more trouble than good!
    increased exhaused gas temperature.
    burned valves.
    engine temperature increase.
    and exhaust gas recirculation problems. (engine goes easier in Limp Mode)
    Never fear if Frank is near!

Two-stroke oil should NOT be used together with a cat and/or dpf. It may have been good for W123 or 1HZ but decidedly not on complex technology. I have consulted with chemical and mechanical engineers, also technical experts at oil companies. Furthermore, Mr Jake Venter, retired technical editor at CAR magazine also supports this view.

Munga's suggestion of a UDF filter is ecellent. It will surely comb out all the grit found in Diesel.

Munga, the OM642 comes in various flavours, each version using different pistons, etc. What is good for Grand Cherokee is not good for S- and E-classes. The latest ML350 differs from the Commander Sport, as much as the G350 differs from a G300, despite all being part of the OM642 range. There now aso is a LS version with more power but lower emissions.

This is also one of many reasons not to chip tune a vehicle.

Dean Puntis 0836777909 is the filter guru @UDF.
    Last edited by BosDonkie; 2012/10/03 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks all for the input, I have directed my folks to this page and they can decide from there.

Yes Munga, that is very similar to the one they got. LOVELY vehicle!

Also a lovely engine that should be doing your folks proud. If it is a manual shifter, just ensure the engine is never allowed to ''labour'' at low engine revs. That is inviting a turbo's premature failure and also sending immense pulses via the cranckshaft to the transmission, causing eventual failure.

When the fuel pedal is depressed when the vehicle is in 5th at, say, 60km/h, thus at very low engine revs, the turbo will spin up to between 200k - 250k r/min, while oil flow is slow. The turbo will become red hot without enough cooling via lubrication. That invites trouble and is a major cause of turbo failure.

Best is to use the gear lever and keep any TD's revs between 2,000 - 3,500 rpm.

happy overlanding!
    Last edited by BosDonkie; 2012/10/03 at 06:57 PM.