Limpopo Transfrontier Park

Default Limpopo Transfrontier Park

We're planning a trip to the Moz side of this park and was wondering if anyone has some experience of the Mapai and Ageia Pesqueira campsites. Any other information like fuel etc would be greatly appreciated..
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Hi Simon,

I went through the park in April and it consisted of a road and trees. The road has some serious speed bumps in which I didnít appreciate the humour. My trip through the park was purely to get from Kruger to Xai-Xai for an overnight stop. I had problems at the border on the Mozambique side (Giriyondo border post), I took 4 jerrycans of diesel and was asked to pay tax for them, they searched the landy and then proceeded to lose my passport and travel docs, I eventually found them under a pile of papers in their office. They also made me pay tax on 12 beers and the food in my cooler box. Long story short, I got fleeced at the border post and the trip through the park was boring although I have heard they have a lot of birdlife and that camping at Massinger dam is great but I didn't experience either. Would I use the route again? probably.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John from Joburg<br><br>2001 Defender 110 with stuff

Highlander

Thanks for the heads up

We're more interested in birds than charismatic mega-vertebrates so that's not a major issue - we'll be spending a fair bit of time in the Kruger as well
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I went through Pafuri on the way to Pomene a year or more ago, and didnt see another wild animal of any type or size, after leaving the Kruger all the way to Mapai (where we left the Moz side of the "park"), or even on to the sea for that matter .

Lots of little villages/settlements goats, chickens etc though. To me, the "reserve" was that only in name! No fences or anything either!

I think there is a very long way to go and a hell of a lot to be done before it really becomes a reserve. I wander if the people living there even know they are living in a game reserve? Or if there are any plans or intention to move them out? I dont see how poor people and their livestock are expected to coexist with lions, elephants etc?

BTW the border guys were great on noth sides at Pafuri, friendly and reasonably efficient! Wish I could say the same about the Kamatipoort border!

Hi Simon,

I went through Giriyonda in December and took the scenic road to Campismo Ageia Pesqueira and really enjoyed it. I didnt have any problems at the border and got through in about 15mins.

Campismo Ageia Pesqueira is brilliant. Facilities (toilet and kitchen area) are very impressive and surprised us. The fish eagles constantly call........eish I need a holiday.....

Enjoy,
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT