Zewenwacht Eco Trail

Default Zewenwacht Eco Trail

I have been invited to do this trail with a small private group and was wondering if anyone has done it before? If so, what was it like? Looking at Google Earth, it looks fairly innocuous...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Simon

I did the trail about 5 years ago (before it was the Echo Trail).
    Wasn't too much to write home about (challenge wise). Nice scenery and mostly sand.
    There was one or two mudholes and a sandpit to play in.

One section climbed up the Zewenwacht Koppie wich was the only challenge on the trail.

Nature conservation forced the closure of the trail about 4 years ago because of quads and 4x4's leaving the trail and [email protected]&$ing up the natural vegetation on the farm.
    <br>1999 Landcruiser GX<br>2004 Echo III trailer

I thought it was quite lekker, close to home.

Rather take the 2x1, Simon, it's MUCH more challenging!!!! (I knew those hills like the back of my hand...used to ride all the way to Stellenbosch and back)
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

AFAIK this trail was closed a while ago. Any contact details?

I did this trail a number of times when it was still open. Not difficult, but good variety and excellent for beginners.

Camelman, It is closed to the public, but this is a private invitation (and includes fab wine tasting afterwards ). Doing it on the 7th October.

Haha Simon.... I'm not sure they'd appreciate the damage 2x1's cause
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Simon, you're so wrong on that count! The "Zevenwacht Mountain Bike Club" is very alive and has done a lot for the sport in the area, even hosted a national last year. In fact, I was a member before I defected to become a vaalpens....

Some of the neighbouring farmers, however, don't like the presence of 2x1's on their land, though.
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Brehany View Post
    Simon, you're so wrong on that count! The "Zevenwacht Mountain Bike Club" is very alive and has done a lot for the sport in the area, even hosted a national last year. In fact, I was a member before I defected to become a vaalpens....

Some of the neighbouring farmers, however, don't like the presence of 2x1's on their land, though.
    Simon, what SimonB meant was that Zevenwacht's closed to 4x4's. AFAIK Gary Hasselau (spelling?) uses the track from time to time to do 4x4 driver training (advertised in the back of the SA4x4 magazine), but that's the extend of 4x4 activity on this particular trail.
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Andre, I know that's what he meant.....I was just emphasising the mere fact that the owner and management of the estate, namely John Johnson, is very ameanable to mountain biking activities on their land.

I was wondering what happened to the Gary H. training besigheid, though,....so that's still there. If I were to warrant a guess about why the trail is no longer open to the public...they got gatvol of people just driving onto the estate without paying for a permit.

Hehe.... my sarcasm regarding damage caused by 2x1's seems to have been missed (as opposed to 4x4 and quad damage).

From what I hear (and it IS hearsay) is that the even the training has been closed down, but I can't confirm that....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

OK, rub it in.....

Don't even talk about damage caused by quads....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Brehany View Post
    Andre, I know that's what he meant.....I was just emphasising the mere fact that the owner and management of the estate, namely John Johnson, is very ameanable to mountain biking activities on their land.

I was wondering what happened to the Gary H. training besigheid, though,....so that's still there. If I were to warrant a guess about why the trail is no longer open to the public...they got gatvol of people just driving onto the estate without paying for a permit.
    I must go and have my eyes tested my bad Simon I have also heard of people that enter the property without the relevant permission, etc. and can't really blame them for closing the trail. AFAIK Gary H is still doing training there. We went with a couple of friends who organised a trip there with Gary H giving some pointers, etc. last year some time.
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi