Default JK Wrangler Umlimited Windscreens - where/what to replace advice

Hey chaps
    Its time to replace the good old flat winscreen, too many off cracks and chips.

Whats the general consensus? Go via insurance and pay the excess(lose the no claim bonus) or pay cash for the aftermarket equivalent?

Im based in the Sandton area and keen to get it sorted asap.

Lata
    Last edited by shauncorlett; 2012/08/27 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo in heading

Same here.......got a quote from PG Glass and for the relative small window of the JK the quote was R6850................my excess is 15% of the total quote.........

That's the same as what I paid for the Outlander's windscreen (and that is one huge front window!) but then again that was 2-years ago.........

Got stopped in a road-block on Sunday and had to sweet-talk my way out of a fine.........as mine has a crack smack right in front of me.........

George
    2020 Hilux LG50
    1995 Hilux SFA

Yep, like R500 excess, which is peanuts but you lose the no claim bonus.

GlassCity have an aftermarket one for about R2500 cash. Just not sure how it compares to the original Mopar.

Shaun,

Try a Jeep Dealership directly. My understanding is PG / Glassfit etc, get them directly from Jeep and then put a(nother) markup on the windscreens.

Quote Originally Posted by shauncorlett View Post
    Yep, like R500 excess, which is peanuts but you lose the no claim bonus.

GlassCity have an aftermarket one for about R2500 cash. Just not sure how it compares to the original Mopar.
    Also want to replace mine at some point, let me know if this works out for you
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks
    2008 JKU Sahara 2.8 CRD 6sp Man on 33's with Full Traction 3"

dealerships charge R4900 for a windcreen, and you can get some aftermarket "equivalent" for around R2500.

I thought, seeing as though i got 5 cracks/chips in 3 months, i could pay cash for it, and get another chip just driving home after having it installed, so decided insurance was the better way to go. If they werent such flat windcsreens and prone to this, then maybe i would have gone other route.

Also not keen on some aftermarket one, who knows if they shatter properly if you are in a ding, so safety first

Quote Originally Posted by shauncorlett View Post
    dealerships charge R4900 for a windcreen, and you can get some aftermarket "equivalent" for around R2500.

I thought, seeing as though i got 5 cracks/chips in 3 months, i could pay cash for it, and get another chip just driving home after having it installed, so decided insurance was the better way to go. If they werent such flat windcsreens and prone to this, then maybe i would have gone other route.

Also not keen on some aftermarket one, who knows if they shatter properly if you are in a ding, so safety first
    yeah i agree. will do the same. thanks
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks
    2008 JKU Sahara 2.8 CRD 6sp Man on 33's with Full Traction 3"

markvdm Guest

Just a question, but do the aftermarket ones take into account the auto light sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by markvdm View Post
    Just a question, but do the aftermarket ones take into account the auto light sensors?
    Am I being dof here........but what is that? Something maybe only in the "unlimited"......

George
    2020 Hilux LG50
    1995 Hilux SFA

markvdm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheagle View Post
    Am I being dof here........but what is that? Something maybe only in the "unlimited"......
    The sensor to turn the headlights on or off automatically, as far as I know it is part of the windscreen. Lower right hand corner on my Sahara 2dr.

This is what I know from the dealer, so it could be wrong.

original the best. Resale point of view, as well as quality. Some of the cheaper ones at certain angles seam to have "bubbles" between layer if you through at an angle.

Def us insurance. Most insurances have a R350 excess for windscreens and windows

Default Wrangler Windscreen

Guys just be carefull . The windscreen is not perfectly flat rather buy the OE part to get the correct ceramic surround around the edges and also the OE part comes with the mirror boss fitted allready. The windscreens also differ from 2011.and newer. Why would you fit a pirate part to your expensive Jeep and compromise safety ?

Hi!

I second AvW, unbeknown I bought my Jeep and it has a pirate party which I have to replace ASAP as more water comes in than stays out! Just wondering why you loose your excess, most insurance do not penalize as it is a safety item!

David

I guess it depends how close you are to your no claim bonus.
    If you still had 2 or more years to go, I'd just claim.