Mana Pools to South Luangwa - a few questions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mana Pools to South Luangwa - a few questions

We are planning to travel from Mana Pools to South Luanga in June. Which route is the best? Should I travel via Chirundu and Lusaka or is the "short-cut" via Chirundu, Chiawa Village and Chongwe a viable option? We are in our 60's and travelling alone so wouldn't want to do anything risky. We are driving a Prado.
    How long will it take to do the recommended route and will it be necessary to stop somewhere overnight? If so, where?
    Last edited by 50something; 2012/08/27 at 10:53 AM.

Perhaps this posted earlier today might help.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=1268333#post1268333
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Not quite sure where Bulawayo comes in for a route from Mana Pools to Luangwa?

Maybe this one could help too:
    http://www.4x4community.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=122000
    Regarding the "direct" road to Chongwe. Not really a shortcut, but a lot more pleasant than the tar road and its crazy truck drivers. But about 20 a bit tricky kms up the escarpment.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nhouston View Post
    Not quite sure where Bulawayo comes in for a route from Mana Pools to Luangwa?
    Apologies- that was meant to read "Lusaka". I have changed my original posting.

Default Mana pools to Kariba

We are looking to do this trip in Aug 2013 and would be really interested to understand what you may have found out. We are looking to go through Chirundu and then take the road through Chongwe. We are driving in convoy and all towing off road trailers so hope road is ok.

One thing we are battling with is a suitable place to stop on the T4 between Chongwe and Chipata, even a basic campsite seems a challenge. Any ideas or info that you have would be appreciated

Thanks

Disco Traveller

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Where the Old Petauke Road comes to the t4,
    theres acampsite on the T4A map, called Zulu Kraal Campsite.
    Its 360 km from Chongwe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Traveller View Post
    We are looking to do this trip in Aug 2013 and would be really interested to understand what you may have found out. We are looking to go through Chirundu and then take the road through Chongwe. We are driving in convoy and all towing off road trailers so hope road is ok.

One thing we are battling with is a suitable place to stop on the T4 between Chongwe and Chipata, even a basic campsite seems a challenge. Any ideas or info that you have would be appreciated

Thanks

Disco Traveller
    Hi,

I am not completely sure that the "shortcut" from Chirundu to Chongwe (quoted "nor recommended in T4A") is very suitable if towing a trailer, I would not recommand it if you tow a large one.

Cheers..

I wouldn't try with a trailer either. And still less in the way up.
    For several bends, one have to manoeuvre, even without trailer. With trailers, there are 15/20 kms that can become quite a nightmare.
    Pierre

Smile Mana Pools to South Luanga

Thanks for all the tips, I guess we are going via Lusaka, as there dont appear to be any viable roads from Chirundu onto the T4. Having done Khadum with a full trailer last year, I'll take the easier route this time

Its great to know there is a campsite, will try locate on T4A.

Default Got any spare change?

This is a mobile 4x4 safari that the yanks are doing in July of 2013. Camping and lodges. No Limit Expeditions - Mana Pools and SLNP. Close to the same route, just a different way of doing it.

If you don't want risks take the Chirundu/Lusaka road.There is a nice campsite called Pioneer on the Eastern road to Chipata,about 20 kms outside Lusaka.
    There is a lovely drive from Petauke to South Luangwa which follows the old road.It is slower than going through Chipata but a great experience.Just leave Pioneer early as it is slow.At South Luangwa the Wild Life camp is a great site on the river and very cheap as run by the Wild Life society.
    Allow for time at Chirundu,took me 3 hours last year and they have started asking for police clearance forms !!
    VW Caravelle T5 2.5 TDi 4 Motion 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Allow for time at Chirundu,took me 3 hours last year and they have started asking for police clearance forms !!
    Wow, that is a long time to waste at a border post. That makes my plan of travelling from Mana Pools to Bridge Camp, via Lusaka a bit risky (in one day)? What other options are there for over-nighting between Mana and Wildlife Camp in South Luanga?

Zambezi Breezers, Chirundu
    Eureka or Pioneer, Lusaka
    There must be a camp and one or two guesthouses in Kafue Town, we have seen from the road, but no idea if they are correct or not.

Or you make the detour via Siavonga (easier border crossing), spend one relaxing evening and night on Lake Kariba, and drive up to Bridge Camp the next day.

Mana to Bridge Camp is a very long drive in one day with the border and Lusaka (you can spend 2 hours crossing Lusaka).
    Pierre

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 50something View Post
    Wow, that is a long time to waste at a border post. That makes my plan of travelling from Mana Pools to Bridge Camp, via Lusaka a bit risky (in one day)? What other options are there for over-nighting between Mana and Wildlife Camp in South Luanga?
    Hi,

I do not know abot the road after Chirundu, but you need definitely at least 4 hours from Nyamepi to the border post..

Last time (from Zam to Zim) I needed only 1.5 hours to cross, but I was there quite early (8h30 a.m.), so best case you need 6 hours to reach Chirundu Zam without stopping for anything...and 30 minutes more to reach Zambezi Breezers..

Do not forget to top up in Chirundu Zim, the Total service station is on the left side of the road, approx 1k before the border post, you do not see it due to the trucks queing..

Cheers..

Thanks for this information. I will have to have another look at my plans as I had not bargained on 2 nights between Mana and South Luanga.

I did Nyamepi to Chirundu in 2h45min, but then ran into the interpol numpties at the border who wouldn't let me cross without a police clearance certificate (which I didn't have). Took 90 minutes to finish the border (in the end I wore the NCIS wannabes down by wasting their time in pointless banter - no money left my wallet, and no money entered their back pockets. HA.)

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post
    in the end i wore the ncis wannabes down by wasting their time in pointless banter - no money left my wallet, and no money entered their back pockets. Ha.
    great

Is Siavonga a border post from Zimbabwe into Zambia? Is there another border post at Kariba or are they one and the same thing?
    Another question: Is the road/track to South Luanga via Petauke an easy (and safe) drive or is it more advisable to travel via Chipata? There seems to be quite a distance saving doing the former. We will be travelling alone so don't want any risky options e.g deep water crossings, etc. We will be going in late June.

It is one and the same thing, Siavonga town on the Zambian side and Kariba town on the Zim side

I travelled S/Luangwa to Petauke in September, it was rough with one or two fairly deep gulleys (my forum avatar was taken coming out of one) - I could imagine with water in they could be tricky, and in late June water in some seasonal streams/river is still likely

See my comments here

Also Chipata to Mfuwe should be tarred all the way by June next year so will be quicker, although longer

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast