Camping tips, tricks and gadgets - Page 9

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Camping tips, tricks and gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Waar koop 'n mens dit, en wat is die naam? Lyk lekker.
    Ja ek het myne direk by www.madkon.co.za gekoop, en toe 2 dae later in die pos gekry. Jy gaan nie spyt wees nie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

How much did it cost?
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    How much did it cost?
    It was R2500 for the medium size one which fits into a ammo crate. It sounds expensive, but I think its worth the money

Another way so store and transport eggs:

Cut some 50mm pvc drain pipe in short pieces to take about 4 eggs plus a little extra for tissue paper in between the eggs. Get some end caps to close off both sides, should one break you also contain the mess in one container. It will take Large eggs not X-Large or Jumbo's.

And for fire starters:
    Next time you drive past one of these roadside guys selling these "hakskeen skuur klippe" buy one, cut it up in 20mm strips with a hack saw and put it in a good sealing container with paraffin. You can use it for years, just remember to retrieve it from the ashes before the camp staff come and clean the braai. I lost my stone that way
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WernerS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS View Post
    Another way so store and transport eggs:

Cut some 50mm pvc drain pipe in short pieces to take about 4 eggs plus a little extra for tissue paper in between the eggs. Get some end caps to close off both sides, should one break you also contain the mess in one container. It will take Large eggs not X-Large or Jumbo's.
    And then you need to explain to border control why you carry a pipe bomb with you

The cheapest, easiest, most convenient and a safe way to take eggs, is in the half-dozen cartons in which you buy them. Even the road to Mana Pools couldn't break any eggs.

I use one high-lid (Wolf) ammo box for ALL of the following (I have cut foam, +/- half an inch thick, to put against the sides, on the bottom and between cups): 4 each of rectangular plates, cereal bowls, cups, stainless steel glasses (no wine glasses), a 1L jug, all cutlery including whisk, scissors, egg lifter, braaitang, etc., 1 gas lamp, paper towel roll, siphon for water from jerry can, cutting board and a tray.

Found this to be the best solution for lighting camp fires, especially the hard wood. Connect to your normal gas bottle so no space issues. Saves a fortune on firelighters etc and makes sure the fire is lit before dark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mDJS9OBoyOruwVp9S9fxv3Q.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	419413
    Thanks/Groete

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Intothewild For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    A few things I made myself

1. I love lights… I have them everywhere. One such place is in the roof top tent. I have two switches, one on either side of the tent. Both switches can switch the light off and on, so there’s always a switch nearby. The light is fixed on the top/middle pole of the tent, and the cable gets sandwiched between the two halves of the mattress when the tent is packed away. The cable gets run to a hella plug inside the car.

2. Mobile kitchen for two: made from a ammo crate, using 1.6mm steel drawers, covered in a durable fabric.
    Bottom drawer: gas stove, normal kettle, coffee plunger/milk frother, roll of blue wash cloths, 2x bowls with lids, moka kettle (to make espresso with), 2x glasses, 2x mugs.
    Middle drawer: non stick pan, 2x towels, tea strainer, toothpicks, grater, can/bottle opener, vegetable peeler, tongs, egg beater, heavy duty scissors, lighter, cork extractors, coffee ground spoon.
    Top drawer: roll of black bags, egg lifter, wooden spoon, ladle, dish washing liquid, sponge, cloths, 2x plastic plates, pack of paper plates and 2x paper plate holders, 2x forks, 2x steak knives, 2x spoons, 2x tea spoons, 1x butter knife, 2x plastic coated baking grids for making ‘braaipaai’, cutting board.

3. I couldn’t get it over my hart to buy an overpriced ‘4x4 shovel’ that’s half the size of a normal shovel but double the price! So I took an oldschool garden shovel, removed the handled, shortened the pipe, replaced the handle and grinded the shovel part smaller. Viola, a tough 4x4 shovel from an old shovel.

4. Windshield for a #7 cadac gas can with an alva cooker/top: I looked everywhere in Port Elizabeth but couldn’t find anything like this for sale. So I drew up a drawing, sent it to a place in Port Elizabeth that does laser cutting and bending. They made this for me for R170. I’m sure if I did find it in a store it would cost at least R250… This is v1.0. I’m already planning v1.5 that will not work with Velcro but rather a steel clasp, then you can use it as a secondary fire place to keep the fire going in.

5. I’m not a fan of hanging cables when I’m using my GPS or GoPro in my window, so I installed a USB plug on the back of my mirror, thus no more visible cables hanging all over the place.
    Great, innovative ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    A few things I made myself

1. I love lights… I have them everywhere. One such place is in the roof top tent. I have two switches, one on either side of the tent. Both switches can switch the light off and on, so there’s always a switch nearby. The light is fixed on the top/middle pole of the tent, and the cable gets sandwiched between the two halves of the mattress when the tent is packed away. The cable gets run to a hella plug inside the car.

2. Mobile kitchen for two: made from a ammo crate, using 1.6mm steel drawers, covered in a durable fabric.
    Bottom drawer: gas stove, normal kettle, coffee plunger/milk frother, roll of blue wash cloths, 2x bowls with lids, moka kettle (to make espresso with), 2x glasses, 2x mugs.
    Middle drawer: non stick pan, 2x towels, tea strainer, toothpicks, grater, can/bottle opener, vegetable peeler, tongs, egg beater, heavy duty scissors, lighter, cork extractors, coffee ground spoon.
    Top drawer: roll of black bags, egg lifter, wooden spoon, ladle, dish washing liquid, sponge, cloths, 2x plastic plates, pack of paper plates and 2x paper plate holders, 2x forks, 2x steak knives, 2x spoons, 2x tea spoons, 1x butter knife, 2x plastic coated baking grids for making ‘braaipaai’, cutting board.

3. I couldn’t get it over my hart to buy an overpriced ‘4x4 shovel’ that’s half the size of a normal shovel but double the price! So I took an oldschool garden shovel, removed the handled, shortened the pipe, replaced the handle and grinded the shovel part smaller. Viola, a tough 4x4 shovel from an old shovel.

4. Windshield for a #7 cadac gas can with an alva cooker/top: I looked everywhere in Port Elizabeth but couldn’t find anything like this for sale. So I drew up a drawing, sent it to a place in Port Elizabeth that does laser cutting and bending. They made this for me for R170. I’m sure if I did find it in a store it would cost at least R250… This is v1.0. I’m already planning v1.5 that will not work with Velcro but rather a steel clasp, then you can use it as a secondary fire place to keep the fire going in.

5. I’m not a fan of hanging cables when I’m using my GPS or GoPro in my window, so I installed a USB plug on the back of my mirror, thus no more visible cables hanging all over the place.
    Great, innovative ideas! Care to share blueprints for your mobile kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by Bard View Post
    Great, innovative ideas! Care to share blueprints for your mobile kitchen?
    Thanks Bard. See attached the drawings for the drawers. To view them you can download AutoCAD 360, it's a free AutoCAD viewer. The width of the drawer will all depend on your crate and slides you will be using. I used this slide: 350mm Slide. For my setup I required the final outer dimensions (after the sides were bent up) to be 422mm x 365mm. I made the 3 holes on each side of the drawer a bit longer so that you have a bit of height play when installing the drawers onto the slide. The other holes I used for the 'handles'. Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Aeropress.

'Nuf sed...
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    Aeropress.

'Nuf sed...
    I bought a aeropress in the pursuit of happiness (happiness being a 'easy' espresso when camping) but after a few attempts I have reverted back to my old faithful moka kettle. Moka kettle gives me a richer creamier taste, and a warmer coffee. Thats my preference
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2016/11/10 at 05:03 PM.

Interesting, maybe I should give that a shot.
    My aeropress travels with me to work every day, so handy for both work and play.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Interesting, maybe I should give that a shot.
    My AeroPress travels with me to work every day, so handy for both work and play.
    The mocha kettle is cheap (R80-R100) at Checkers or House and Home, and pretty much bullet proof stainless steel. But you need to warm it up slowly over a flame (ie camping stove) for best results, but that gives you that 'made with love' feeling. So maybe an AeroPress will be a better choice in an office environment where you can pour boiling water from your normal kitchen kettle into the AeroPress. But do try the moka kettle for camping!

And if you like a real cappuccino in the bush, use a small french press style milk frother, you will need a spoon to get that froth out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2016/10/01 at 12:49 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Errm, when Swambo wakes up she could care less about the "made with love" feeling. My survival is linked directly to the "made with speed" feeling.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Aeropress.

'Nuf sed...
    I have an Aeropress -but find it a bit of schlep if you're making for more than one... I've been using these for the last six months, very convenient. (and their service has been great): http://coffeeexcellence.co.za/items/cup-ground-25s

(might be a bit on the expensive side for camping coffee - but - it tastes good)

Post Re: Camping tips, tricks and gadgets

I converted my camping shower into a dual purpose device.
    During the day it becomes a misting device and at night a shower.

Both work without a water tap or electricity.

Misting Device :

Bought a misting kit on special at Takealot for R239 - http://www.takealot.com/orbit-3-8inc...t/PLID41263471

Attached the one end to the sprayer ( perfect fit) and closed the "tap end" .

After a few pumps there is enough pressure for about 12 minutes of fine mist ( 5 NOZZLES) for very hot days camping ( not intended to use when/where water is scarce)

Water consumption - 1.5 L per 10 minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spray 1.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	420660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spray 2.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	420661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spray 3.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	420662  
    Metalian Maxi

[QUOTE=4x4 wannabie;3366600]I converted my camping shower into a dual purpose device.

Well done, but can you also make coffee with it?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Default Camping tips, tricks and gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post

Both work without a water tap or electricity.

Misting Device :

Bought a misting kit on special at Takealot for R239 - http://www.takealot.com/orbit-3-8inc...t/PLID41263471

Attached the one end to the sprayer ( perfect fit) and closed the "tap end" .

After a few pumps there is enough pressure for about 12 minutes of fine mist ( 5 NOZZLES) for very hot days camping ( not intended to use when/where water is scarce)

Water consumption - 1.5 L per 10 minutes
    Now that is clever! I will need to wash my sprayer thoroughly else i will smell like chlorpyrifos.
    Last edited by LesseW; 2016/10/07 at 06:40 PM.
    [B]Prado TX 4.0|Rocksliders|Bash Plate|Lift| Bushlapa Miskruier 892 Past: FJ Cruiser Rav4 2.0 (SWAMBO)

[QUOTE=RodS;3366612]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post

Well done, but can you also make coffee with it?
    Working on that
    Metalian Maxi

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast