Camping tips, tricks and gadgets - Page 10

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Camping tips, tricks and gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by LesseW View Post
    Now that is clever! I will need to wash my sprayer thoroughly else i will smell like chlorpyrifos.
    Don't clean it, with that smell it will keep the mozzies away as well
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ErichV For This Useful Post:

This is now more in the kitchen than in the camping crate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160918-00276.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	420896 I just love it. Sorry for the angle of the picture
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

A question for all you clever folks .... my engel fridge is deep and great for packing bottles and things but the smaller stuff is tricky ... and very often I end up unpacking a lot to get to something down at the bottom ... not ideal for keeping it cold.

Would love to know what clever ideas you all have come up with for organising your fridge?

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    A question for all you clever folks .... my engel fridge is deep and great for packing bottles and things but the smaller stuff is tricky ... and very often I end up unpacking a lot to get to something down at the bottom ... not ideal for keeping it cold.

Would love to know what clever ideas you all have come up with for organising your fridge?
    I sold mine and got a NL with baskets, much easier to use and no noisy compressor.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I sold mine and got a NL with baskets, much easier to use and no noisy compressor.
    Clever 😉

Clever 😉
    Too clever.

The obvious - contact the supplier 4x4MW and ask them what baskets are available??
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Is this available in ZA

Twozone Compartment Model TZ32/40
    The TZ32/40 has been designed to fit all current Engel™ 32L and 40L Fridge/Freezer. Model numbers MT35F, MT35F-S, MT45F and MT45F-S.
    Simply slide off the lid of your Engel™, slide on the Twozone Refrigerator Compartment, slide your Engel™ lid back on to your Twozone, and you have all the versatility you require: extra capacity and most importantly the benefit of two temperature zones.
    CAPACITY
    You gain an extra 21 litres of basket space equivalent to 32, 375ml cans.
    DIMENSIONS
    • Width: 360 mm
    • Length: 540 mm
    • Height: 250 mm
    • Weight: Only 5kg

» Twozone Accessories
    http://www.twozone.com.au/tz32.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We have an Engel 40 and it has a basket,
    But to answer , when using as a fridge we have bought plastic containers
    Specially measured out so they stack nicely inside, the small items like cheese butter go in one, veg and salads stuff in another, stacked so the milk and bottles on one side, then we also use ziplock bags which are nice to seal meat etc.
    With Chest fridges it's always going to be a case of unpacking something to get to the bottom item,
    We never remove the basket, I see the basket as a means to circulate airflow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtBasher For This Useful Post:

you could have baskets made up. Try Metalseal Coatings in Parow, and chat to Johan. He does braai roosters, shelves for fridges etc. Epoxy coating, electro galv and stainless steel stuff

I bought a smaller basket for my Engel 40 from Megaworld that hangs from the top of the larger basket, if I can recall they call it a butter basket and was in the region of R100 a couple of yaers ago, similar to this http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/2pr...roductid=21466
    Last edited by eloffmare; 2016/10/11 at 10:10 AM.

Had a similar challenge recently when I bought the new 42L Snomaster Traveller Edition. This fridge is narrow but quite deep with the result that you can still stack items on top of the bottom layer, but the keep on falling off, or if you take a bottle of cold stuff out the bottom, something then fall into the hole created.

Bought a simple plastic basket with two handles from our local plastic shop that fits into the original basket, but is about 1/3 of the depth. I now stack all the bottles in the bottom layer, put the basket on top, and fill that up with the smaller items, e.g. 200ml tins, butter, mushrooms etc.

This way, you simply grab the basket by the handles, take it out completely to get to the bottom stuff. As I deplete the bottom stuff, I fill the holes with something from the top basket.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Had a similar challenge recently when I bought the new 42L Snomaster Traveller Edition. This fridge is narrow but quite deep with the result that you can still stack items on top of the bottom layer, but the keep on falling off, or if you take a bottle of cold stuff out the bottom, something then fall into the hole created.

Bought a simple plastic basket with two handles from our local plastic shop that fits into the original basket, but is about 1/3 of the depth. I now stack all the bottles in the bottom layer, put the basket on top, and fill that up with the smaller items, e.g. 200ml tins, butter, mushrooms etc.

This way, you simply grab the basket by the handles, take it out completely to get to the bottom stuff. As I deplete the bottom stuff, I fill the holes with something from the top basket.
    Now this is clever and cheaper!
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

I've done the same and it works like a bom. I also cut a couple of holes in the container to help with the cooling down of the stuff inside.
    "What the eyes can see, the hands can build"

Thanks guys ... some good ideas there 👍

Any agents/suppliers of this add on fridge

Twozone Compartment Model TZ32/40
    The TZ32/40 has been designed to fit all current Engel™ 32L and 40L Fridge/Freezer. Model numbers MT35F, MT35F-S, MT45F and MT45F-S.
    Simply slide off the lid of your Engel™, slide on the Twozone Refrigerator Compartment, slide your Engel™ lid back on to your Twozone, and you have all the versatility you require: extra capacity and most importantly the benefit of two temperature zones.
    CAPACITY
    You gain an extra 21 litres of basket space equivalent to 32, 375ml cans.
    DIMENSIONS
    • Width: 360 mm
    • Length: 540 mm
    • Height: 250 mm
    • Weight: Only 5kg

» Twozone Accessories
    http://www.twozone.com.au/tz32.html[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Liebenberg View Post
    I've done the same and it works like a bom. I also cut a couple of holes in the container to help with the cooling down of the stuff inside.
    Yes but the one I bought already had patterned holes in the sides and bottom, sufficient for airflow through.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

The most irritating thing about the Engel with the removable lid is the lid slipping off if you open it. Made a simple fix from some stainless welding wire to act as a spring. It is removable when neededClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1476296457341.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	421253

Quote Originally Posted by barend.dewaal View Post
    The most irritating thing about the Engel with the removable lid is the lid slipping off if you open it. Made a simple fix from some stainless welding wire to act as a spring. It is removable when neededClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1476296457341.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	421253
    4x4 megaworld sells a bracket/release clip to stop the lid sliding off,
    It has a quick release so can be pushed down to remove lid.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Those baskets are expensive!
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw)
    Tough Dog Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Replacement Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper
    Air Helpers | Snorkel | Frontrunner Roofrack

1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw)
    Fibreglass Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | Frontrunner Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Custom Rear Bumper

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4

Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hehe.
    Another camp trick of mine is I carry several fairly thick dowels and lots of S hooks (most hardware stores sell them). We stick the dowels across two tree branches, secured with cable ties, and hang whatever needs hanging on the S hooks slung over the dowels - dish clothes, cloth bags with our cutlery in them, coffee mugs, braai grids, lamps, torches, anything you want to keep off the ground and out of the dirt. Makes the camp nice and tidy. If there are no trees about, I cable tie the dowel to my roof rack struts.

We use bike straps/those adjustable tie-down straps, you can link as many of them as you need between 2 trees or 2 vehicles, makes a very nice hanging line , wind break etc... and they don't take up much space in the vehicles, they can also come in handy for securing things to the vehicle.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast