Bush Lapa mods - Page 351

Page 351 of 355 FirstFirst ... 101 251 301 326 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,020 of 7089

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

Friend of mine got his new Ratel last week and it also had a PWM controller. I also thought MPPT was standard. He got that winter special so I guess they sneak in a cheaper controller then.

Hopefully getting mine back today sporting new aluminium protection up front.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Friend of mine got his new Ratel last week and it also had a PWM controller. I also thought MPPT was standard. He got that winter special so I guess they sneak in a cheaper controller then.

Hi

I have just asked BL to upgrade mine to a MPPT and the BMV 712 Battery Monitor. Going to cost me R3640.00 extra. EISH:

But I would rather have it done now than later. So inline with Technology.

Dave
    Last edited by ohalloran; 2019/09/11 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ohalloran For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohalloran View Post
    Hi

I have just asked BL to upgrade mine to a MPPT and the BMV 712 Battery Monitor. Going to cost me R3640.00 extra. EISH:

Dave
    The MPPT controller upgrade would probably be around R1500, but in my mind absolutely worth it. I've got the standard 140w panel with the Victron 75/15 MPPT controller and did a 2 and a half week trip without plugging into 220V once.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Is the MPPT (75/15) just a straight swap out of the old PWM?

What are the main benefits? More efficient charging?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT
    2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi
    2019 Bush Lapa Miskruier BL1861

7. The Following User Says Thank You to observer For This Useful Post:

2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT
    2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi
    2019 Bush Lapa Miskruier BL1861

9. The Following User Says Thank You to observer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by observer View Post
    Is the MPPT (75/15) just a straight swap out of the old PWM?

What are the main benefits? More efficient charging?
    Yes, I can't explain the technical stuff, but in reality the MPPT unit optimizes charging in that it isn't so particular about direct sun or perfect conditions. Mine even charges while standing under a tree with minimal direct sunlight. So in layman's terms you get a much better charge than a PWN over the same time period.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Default Bush Lapa mods

Be careful of chArging in almost full shade under tree, even with mppt- can handle partial shade a bit better than pwm& extreme temps. Partial shade is max 20-30% of panel in shade.

PWM is optimised for around 25 degrees. Not much diff in hotter temps, more gains over PWM in colder temps, so depends whether you camp in winter.

I have Victron 30/100 smartsolar with 2x 80w on roof that are connected in series. In shade, I get 3-5w charge only. Have two loose 80w panels on lead that I put in sun when van in the shade.

I only 20w hours total per day under 80% shade net under Namibia winter sun- so 30 degrees, no clouds... 200ah lead chrystal battery at around 80% level of charge.
    Last edited by BennvdmWhk; 2019/09/11 at 07:03 PM.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BennvdmWhk For This Useful Post:

My Boabab BL1887 het ook 'n PWM Victron in. Bietjie teleurgesteld in BL. Hulle kon darm vir my die opsie gegee het om te kon opgradeer na' n MPPT. Sien die Victron 75/15 MPPT is nou R1495 by Takealot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190911_182601.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	540498
    2008 Fortuner 4x4 4.0l V6
    2010 BMW 800GS
    2004 Echo 4

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coenraadhl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohalloran View Post
    Hi

Dave
    that sounds high for an upgrade! The price difference can't be that big?
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    that sounds high for an upgrade! The price difference can't be that big?
    It's the BMV which is expensive. R3 400 a quick online search shows

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rudyb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rudyb View Post
    It's the BMV which is expensive. R3 400 a quick online search shows
    Hi

Yes the BMV is a bit pricy, But gone for that route so that all in spec as such.

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Quote Originally Posted by BennvdmWhk View Post
    Be careful of chArging in almost full shade under tree, even with mppt- can handle partial shade a bit better than pwm& extreme temps. Partial shade is max 20-30% of panel in shade.

PWM is optimised for around 25 degrees. Not much diff in hotter temps, more gains over PWM in colder temps, so depends whether you camp in winter.

I have Victron 30/100 smartsolar with 2x 80w on roof that are connected in series. In shade, I get 3-5w charge only. Have two loose 80w panels on lead that I put in sun when van in the shade.

I only 20w hours total per day under 80% shade net under Namibia winter sun- so 30 degrees, no clouds... 200ah lead chrystal battery at around 80% level of charge.
    Bennie, why would you connect your two 80W panels in series? It is advised to retain a parallel connection, especially using a 30A regulator.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Default Bush Lapa mods

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Bennie, why would you connect your two 80W panels in series? It is advised to retain a parallel connection, especially using a 30A regulator.
    30a limit is on the output side of the regulator, so I can connect either way. I went with series I could now do it with the 100v max limit on Victron vs 22v max on my Ctek D250s that prevented me from doing this before.

Series appeared to be better for partial shade, very high temps and also have slightly less losses with long cable runs due to lower amp from panels to controller- more applicable when I also connect 2 addtional loose 80w panels on long lead when BL is standing in the shade.

My understanding is that most mppt’s can only lower the volts, not increase it to get proper charge volt. For example, In low light say you only get 12v from each panel, series will give 24v and still charge battery at around 14v. In paralel, 12v will not be sufficient for any charge.

When all connected, I have 2 sets in paralel, with each set consisting of 2x 80w in series.

See this link for more info
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...WM-or-MPPT.pdf
    Last edited by BennvdmWhk; 2019/09/15 at 01:53 PM.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE

Quote Originally Posted by BennvdmWhk View Post
    30a limit is on the output side of the regulator, so I can connect either way. I went with series I could now do it with the 100v max limit on Victron vs 22v max on my Ctek D250s that prevented me from doing this before.

Series appeared to be better for partial shade, very high temps and also have slightly less losses with long cable runs due to lower amp from panels to controller- more applicable when I also connect 2 addtional loose 80w panels on long lead when BL is standing in the shade.

My understanding is that most mppt’s can only lower the volts, not increase it to get proper charge volt. For example, In low light say you only get 12v from each panel, series will give 24v and still charge battery at around 14v. In paralel, 12v will not be sufficient for any charge.

When all connected, I have 2 sets in paralel, with each set consisting of 2x 80w in series.

See this link for more info
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...WM-or-MPPT.pdf
    Had the same questions i have a 40a MPPT controller with 3 x 100 watt flexible panels in canvas bag and supposed to get around 12 to 15a for some reason it does not get past 9a so still need to find out how the panels was connected and if it is MPPT issue

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    Had the same questions i have a 40a MPPT controller with 3 x 100 watt flexible panels in canvas bag and supposed to get around 12 to 15a for some reason it does not get past 9a so still need to find out how the panels was connected and if it is MPPT issue
    Just measure the volts on the input side - panel side. If series, should be around 54v - 17v x3. If paralel, will be around 17v.

Always measure amps on the output side of the mppt. Mppt Will bring down volts to around 13.8-14.4v depending on how full battery is and up the amps. 9a at 54v will be around 35a at 14.4v, but 9 amps sounds a bit hight for 100w panel.

Also remember that battery must not be fully charged or charging amps will still be low in float charging stage. Try measuring with battery at max 80% charge level.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE

Got mine back on Friday and I must say the alu plates up front are installed extremely professionally and way better than if I did it myself. I'd think BL could to add that as standard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by George; 2019/09/17 at 07:32 AM.

Got mine back on Friday and I must say the alu plates up front are installed extremely professionally and way better than if I did it myself. I'd think BL could to add that as standard.
    I'm also starting to get used to the bling look after all the added checker plate on my Miskruier.... As for making it standard, I suspect there are many BL's that hardly ever see the gravel stuff....

Some tow vehicles are very kind to the Bush Lapa following behind them. I took precautions but the Hilux caused minimal damage to my 2 Miskruiers over 7 years but in less than a year, the FJ was like a demon trying to destroy this thing behind it...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

My damage to that front section was more caused by wood bags rubbing against the side. Marks on the bed hatch was as a result of the canvas cover where little stones fell in from the top and grinding between the cover and the hatch. Think it was however a fairly isolated incident, because on that specific trip we didn't open the front hatch at all, nor thought of cleaning beneath the cover. A lesson learnt for Miskruier owners - if you drive lots of gravel roads and don't open the front bed frequently, remember to at least loosen the canvas cover to remove any stone that might have wedged inside.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Anyone ever fit a 285/70R17 KO2 or similar to their BL? I currently have 285/65R17 Dunlops from my cruiser on them, but after having lost 2 sidewalls, I'm looking to change over to the KO2's I have on my LC 200. My main concern is that the tyre may hit the wheel well during bumps. Consequently, has anyone added lifted or re-arched springs to their BL?
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by Climbingnut View Post
    Anyone ever fit a 285/70R17 KO2 or similar to their BL? I currently have 285/65R17 Dunlops from my cruiser on them, but after having lost 2 sidewalls, I'm looking to change over to the KO2's I have on my LC 200. My main concern is that the tyre may hit the wheel well during bumps. Consequently, has anyone added lifted or re-arched springs to their BL?
    Hi David. I just checked with Martin at Bush Lapa and he confirmed that it will not be an issue on the Miskruier. You can fit the 285/70R17 KO2.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post: