Default Invader Quattro Vs Conqueror Compact

Hi all,

We currently have a Conqueror Compact and it's served us well and am confident towing it on rough roads but looking at something easier to set up and pack up.

I've watched some videos and the Quattro looks really easy to set up and pack up especially for one night stops. Are there any snags I'm missing and is it as tough as the Conqueror? Reliability is one of my biggest concerns.

Would it be better to look at a Companion?
    Last edited by GarethHAllen; 2021/11/14 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: Invader Quattro Vs Conqueror Compact

We had a Compact and loved it and now have a Summit Everest >>. Next Level and TOUGH just like our Compact but NO high ladder anymore >> just 2 steps onto the Tail Gate and in bed >> Quattro is about R130 K more expensive than the Everest but very nice ..but you have to climb INTO the van with the Quattro to get say a tissue but the Everest you just walk in

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Had a quick look at the Summit, We want to get away from the trailer top tent and try for a simpler pop up type compact trailer/ caravan. It looks like the Quattro ticks that box. I haven't seen it in person. We travel with two young kids so packing space is important. I don't want to tow a big bulky caravan like a Mobi Lodge or Commander. A Companion is as big and bulky as I want to go.
    Last edited by GarethHAllen; 2021/11/14 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    Had a quick look at the Summit, We want to get away from the trailer top tent and try for a simpler pop up type compact trailer/ caravan. It looks like the Quattro ticks that box. I haven't seen it in person. We travel with two young kids so packing space is important. I don't want to tow a big bulky caravan like a Mobi Lodge or Commander. A Companion is as big and bulky as I want to go.
    I recently watched a neighbour at Tsendze take a few hours assembling his Quattro ..That tent looks very involved with all the Bits and pieces >> my 6 eggs

Was that with the whole awning and sides? That does look very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I recently watched a neighbour at Tsendze take a few hours assembling his Quattro ..That tent looks very involved with all the Bits and pieces >> my 6 eggs
    Surely you go to Kruger to watch the animals and not your neighbours?

A friend has an Invader. It is a bit complicated to set up the tent but does not take hours. Maybe an hour and a bit and everything is set up.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I've owned my Quattro for 6 years now...
    It rarely takes me more than 20 minutes to pitch , 10 to 15 if I only do the rally. I also go camping fairly regularly with the Gauteng Invader club, and I can't say I've ever seen any Quattro owners spend hours... perhaps this guy was new and u were watching his unboxing of his new trailer?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HVL For This Useful Post:

My previous trailer was a Compact and it also served us well.

We reached the same point as you are at now, wanting an easier setup but still having the packing space required for those longer trips.

I ended up buying a Metalian Maxi but fitted a Bundutop and a 270 awning.
    This gives us a super quick set up and take down time, loads of packing space and it really is a dream to tow.

I know it is not the brand mentioned in your original question but having had the exact same experience as you, maybe it will give you some other ideas as to what will work for you.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

In terms of toughness, around 2014 my dad bought the second Invader ever built, first ever sold which rolled off the factory floor in 2012. He bought it second hand and the previous owner put around 20k km of remote Africa travel on it, where ever his Troopy could go, the Invader had to follow.

My parents then used it for 4 or 5 years without any issues, each time the Invader guys saw the trailer they commented that they can't believe how good it looks, how well it's aging, at one stage they even wanted to use it on their stand at a expo to show how well the first Invader ever sold has aged.

My parents never had any issues with it, their ownership included 2 or 3 long overland trips and many kilometers, there was no leaks, no cracks, never even a problem with dust. Before selling it they replaced the tent roof which developed some holes over time but I think that can be put down to normal aging and they also replaced the wood floor. At some stage of its life the floor got exposed to a lot of moisture, I think this already started with the first owner, the last few months they owned it, it was left standing outside and they lived down at the coast. It wasn't critical to have the floor replaced, but my dad felt that he can't sell something if he knows there's something wrong with the floor.

Back then the Invader had loose poles on the inside but even with that, it took me around 20 minutes to get the main roof up, then longer depending whether the small awning or full tent was on the front. On the new ones they changed quite a lot and the main tent goes up in no time, I'm sure it will be less than 10 minutes once you practiced a bit.

I still believe the Invader is a very nice option, sort of a hybrid between a trailer and caravan, the towing size of a trailer, but once set up the space, especially the head room and packing space of a caravan.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post

We reached the same point as you are at now, wanting an easier setup but still having the packing space required for those longer trips.

This gives us a super quick set up and take down time, loads of packing space and it really is a dream to tow.

I know it is not the brand mentioned in your original question but having had the exact same experience as you, maybe it will give you some other ideas as to what will work for you.
    Thanks you. I'm definitely open to other options. Just mentioned the Quattro because on the internet it looked very easy without the awning and side tent. An awning is very important.

I bought an Invader Quattro 2 months back I think it was the 4th one ever built. So it takes a little bit more time to setup, because you need to insert the poles first. Doing this a couple of times already and by now it takes me a couple of minutes, the front awning takes some time. Just because I am short and need a 3 step step ladder to assist me getting up there. I have learnt some lessons and doing this a lot better now. I really love the Invader and can not comment on anything else. I you can get an Invader after 2016 the setup is a lot faster. I love all the space inside coming from a roof top tent the space is amazing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to waynegrey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    Thanks you. I'm definitely open to other options. Just mentioned the Quattro because on the internet it looked very easy without the awning and side tent. An awning is very important.
    Anytime Gareth.
    If you would like some photos of my setup and further details, feel free to PM me.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post

This is the right answer to the problem.

Most of the trailers with RTT and awnings are of the same design and it takes time to do a full and decent setup.

I have investigated this and a Bundutop with awning is the fastest in my opinion.

Buy a trailer without the manufactures tent on it and then go and fit a Bundutop
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post: